G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07-14/)
-   -   Can you live with oil consumption? (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/337453-can-you-live-oil-consumption.html)

auc2mic 05-15-2010 11:29 PM

Can you live with oil consumption?

I've been rigorously looking for a suitable G35 for months now and the one thing that really scares me is the possibility of OC, especially for cars that are now out of powertrain warranty.
Let's say I do end up with one, would it be okay to just keep adding oil every few hundred miles, rather than fixing the problem? I have experience with rotary engines, so adding oil every few gas fill-ups is not a big deal for me

gary c 05-16-2010 01:31 AM

Can you live with OC? Hell no, once the rings begin to go there's no saving it without a rebuild or like Nissan does a replacement. Find an '04 with low mileage in mint condition and don't worry about anything, just drive and enjoy!
Gary

Frankieg35 05-16-2010 01:36 AM

Hell yeah i love my 04 no problems.. Knock on wood!!

VxLyf3 05-16-2010 01:38 AM

haha..of course not..

Iamnotkento 05-16-2010 02:03 AM

well of course you can live with it. Add oil every now and then and your good to go.

Yes that will be annoying to do, but if you have OC problem and is out of warranty......

Blue Dream 05-16-2010 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by gary c (Post 5105065)
Can you live with OC? Hell no, once the rings begin to go there's no saving it without a rebuild or like Nissan does a replacement. Find an '05 5AT with low mileage in mint condition and don't worry about anything, just drive and enjoy!
Gary

This is what Gary meant to say!! :rofl:

SVTCOBRA 05-16-2010 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by auc2mic (Post 5104846)
I've been rigorously looking for a suitable G35 for months now and the one thing that really scares me is the possibility of OC, especially for cars that are now out of powertrain warranty.
Let's say I do end up with one, would it be okay to just keep adding oil every few hundred miles, rather than fixing the problem? I have experience with rotary engines, so adding oil every few gas fill-ups is not a big deal for me

I assume that you know this only pertains to MT and that is what you are looking for.
But, if I were buying a used MT G I would be very carefull to get one with great documented service records and plenty of power train warranty.
And, HELL NO, I couldn't live with a G that had OC issues.

gck 05-16-2010 12:14 PM

i have lucky then because my car does not have any engine problems or oil consumptions

auc2mic 05-16-2010 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by SVTCOBRA (Post 5105341)
I assume that you know this only pertains to MT and that is what you are looking for.
But, if I were buying a used MT G I would be very carefull to get one with great documented service records and plenty of power train warranty.
And, HELL NO, I couldn't live with a G that had OC issues.

This is going to be easier said than done... Might take a few months haha

tragedycat 05-16-2010 02:00 PM

I have an 05 6MT, no oil consumption issues yet but I am keeping a close eye since my powertrain is running out soon. If I ever start burning oil I'm just planning to add some every couple thousand miles until I get rid of the car in two years.

It's ridiculous that a major car manufacturer sees this as acceptable; I've thoroughly enjoyed my G35 but trust me I will never be buying another Nissan/Infiniti again.

gary c 05-16-2010 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Dream (Post 5105273)
This is what Gary meant to say!! :rofl:

No it's not Blue :OHBOY: although it doesn't really matter what year you get if you're buying a G35 with the 5AT. Most of the issues are with the '05+ Infiniti's with 6MT and the REVUP motor. Once they start going thru oil because of Nissans poor quality rings you might add oil and survive in the beginning but eventually the engine's going to FAIL!
Gary

blues 05-16-2010 06:23 PM

no I can't..warranty I have so I will take it back for testing...did'nt buy a car so I could keep adding oil every few hundred or thousand mille..

The Fapsmith 05-16-2010 06:44 PM

I just purchased an 04 6MT G35 with only 50k miles. Is the OC a factor on this year car? Along with the car I purchased a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty. Should I take it to an Inifiniti dealership to have it checked out?

Thanks

gary c 05-16-2010 07:00 PM

Your question has already been answered check/read my post above. And if you check your oil level weekly via the dip stick and it stays on full like mine you have no worries. Also, only drive into a dealership for warranty work, service can be done by an independent shop or your local Nissan dealer. Keep all records that will maintain your warranty....:NOD:
Gary