G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07-14/)
-   -   Owner's living with oil consumption issue (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/352024-owners-living-oil-consumption-issue.html)

Phu 09-25-2010 01:38 PM

Owner's living with oil consumption issue

I bought my 2005 6MT coupe with the REV up motor used with 65,000 kms, not knowing about the oil consumption issue. Have had the car about a year and a half. About two months ago I noticed the oil light flash after doing a hard turn, the it went on again after parking on a steep hill. So I checked the oil, there was barely anything registering on the dip stick. I was using synthetic, and wasn't due for another 2 months(oil change every 6 months). Did some research on here and was very saddened by the oil consumption sticky thread. Since I'm out of warranty, I have to either sell the car or live with the issue. My question is, people in similar situations, how is your car holding up? I love my G, worked very hard to get it, last thing I wanna do is sell it, but I don't want major engine issues down the road. I'm gonna change to regular oil and service every 3 months. Any suggestions or info is aprreciated, thanx in advance.

herrschaft 09-25-2010 02:33 PM

Have the OC test done to confirm.

If you really want to you could sell the car. Or just keep adding oil all the time. Personally, I would see this as an excuse to overhaul the engine with some aftermarket toys. If I'm not mistaken the only problem is the piston rings. You could either replace just the piston rings or you can get: high compression pistons w/rings, cams, tune (etc):)...if you don't mind spending some money. Thats just me though. You may also be able to pick up a replacement engine for cheap.

Either way its going to be expensive to fix.
GL with whatever you decide to do.

reidr96 09-25-2010 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Phu (Post 5374398)
I bought my 2005 6MT coupe with the REV up motor used with 65,000 kms, not knowing about the oil consumption issue. Have had the car about a year and a half. About two months ago I noticed the oil light flash after doing a hard turn, the it went on again after parking on a steep hill. So I checked the oil, there was barely anything registering on the dip stick. I was using synthetic, and wasn't due for another 2 months(oil change every 6 months). Did some research on here and was very saddened by the oil consumption sticky thread. Since I'm out of warranty, I have to either sell the car or live with the issue. My question is, people in similar situations, how is your car holding up? I love my G, worked very hard to get it, last thing I wanna do is sell it, but I don't want major engine issues down the road. I'm gonna change to regular oil and service every 3 months. Any suggestions or info is aprreciated, thanx in advance.

My suggestions:

-Change the oil at more frequent intervals (e.g. 3,500 km's or less).

-Use 10w-40 oil - this should help if you were using 5w oil. My personal choice would be Pennzoil Platinum - from what I've read, it has the best "test results" in terms of engine contaminants

-Try not to downshift to deaccelerate (this has been suggested to burn more oil)

-Check the oil level weekly and top-up as needed.

w4kj4k 09-25-2010 05:17 PM

So i'm guessing people with the OC problem just live with it and top off the oil?

gary c 09-25-2010 05:20 PM

Bottom line Phu once OC begins it will only get worse! Nissan's poor quality oil rings never get better once they begin to fail....:OHBOY: I'd begin shopping around for a new long block or a "qualified" shop to rebuild yours. There's also wrecking yards, looking for a low mileage motor but you could find yourself in the same situation again....I go the rebuild route. G/L
Gary

jibberjabbers 09-25-2010 07:10 PM

Starting to sound like a common problem. And a lot of people don't check their oil level.

VQdriver 09-25-2010 07:39 PM

I've been running with German Castrol Syntec 0W-30 and added a full 2 qts with apx 5,400mi oil change interval this past summer. I sent my used oil for analysis. I'm hoping to find the meaning of life with the results. The local dealer won't accept my vehicle for oil consumption testing due to the fact I haven't kept accurate oil change records (boo). I've read threads where people have used all kinds of oil dino, synthetic, thinner and thicker viscosity with still the same or similar results. And some people who have gone all the way to get their motors replaced by Infiniti still have the same problem. I remember a couple of my drifting friends said "all VQ motors consume oil, just top it off." That's how common this is. So far, it's not consuming at an alarming rate, just fast enough that you should really check at least once every two weeks at least. At least our cars don't have catastrophic fuel pump issues like the bmw 335i has lol. See, look on the bright side lol.

jibberjabbers 09-25-2010 07:58 PM

^ According to the Oil Consumption TSB, you dont need a oil change record...

https://img26.imageshack.us/img26/2769/capturewow.png

Infiniti Rev-up oil consumption TSB - itb08-002c.pdf

Phu 09-26-2010 12:08 AM

I like Herrschafts idea of replacing the piston rings with after market. Is this gonna 100% solve the problem? How much cash am I looking at. I'd much rather invest money into the car, then to sell it, thus having to downgrade to say..... an 05 wrx. So, has anybody with oil consumption issues replaced the rings with after market? If so, details please!

t.lynch 09-26-2010 07:47 AM

^^+1 on not needing oil records. Check out my thread on the first page of the forum "oil consumption issues" go to other dealers each of them is different and may be willing to work with you. Also, see ifanyone can't find any service records of oil changes under your VIN. Unless you have owned your car from its birth im sure it has been do a dealer once or twice here and there that reported an oil change

Irrelevant 09-26-2010 08:28 AM

Also to to o.p. - Isn't your powertrain warrantied to 7 years or 70,000 miles? You're well within those numbers if it is.

V35 Skyline GT 09-26-2010 12:14 PM

Powertrain warranty is 6yrs/70K.

Irrelevant 09-26-2010 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT (Post 5375493)
Powertrain warranty is 6yrs/70K.

Thanks for the correction. Still looks like the o.p. should be within the powertrain warranty.

msommers 09-26-2010 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Phu (Post 5375082)
I like Herrschafts idea of replacing the piston rings with after market. Is this gonna 100% solve the problem? How much cash am I looking at. I'd much rather invest money into the car, then to sell it, thus having to downgrade to say..... an 05 wrx. So, has anybody with oil consumption issues replaced the rings with after market? If so, details please!

Wondering exactly this as well.

Phu 09-26-2010 12:57 PM

I've got 72,000 k :-(