G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Fighting a careless driving ticket

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by NachoCheese
Its hard to sense your sarcasm sometimes so I don't know how to take this, lol. But there was another G. He's a members here and I've hung out with him before. I will not toss him to save myself, but he was in fact there. I just stepped out of the courtroom with a not guilty plea. I'll let you guys know how the rest of this goes when I'm done.
Sorry Nacho, I thought my advice was straight forward. Admit nothing, your attitude should be "Why was I pulled over!" I doubt if the judge will allow a jury trial, but may look at the evidence the officer has on this incident and want to hear your side before making a decision....if he's smart!
Gary

Old 01-11-2011, 12:47 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Project
Something doesnt add up though. You wouldnt get a careless for 80 in a 35 it would be an automatic reckless and you would have went to jail. Without knowing the officers line of sight on the ticket you will never know how to fight it. In my opinion i would goto court on merit that the officer has nothing to back his case on. I know you say you may have been speeding, but admitting going 50 in a 35 is not your best defense and will show you probably were guilty of what the officer was implying. Your best bet is to claim not guilty and try to prove it was a different G as you were saying and let judge interrogate the cop to find out what his side of the story is. Dont try and tell the judge what you want rather let him decide and give you what he deserves. The worst that can happen is you pay the court fee and are found guilty atleast you tried.
Not necessarily. Coworker of mine got pulled over by CHP for doing 100 or 108 in a 65 (can't remember what exactly). Cop just gave him a ticket and that's it. That should have gotten the vehicle impounded, but it didn't. He wasn't going that fast in the first place either.

As for the OP, I don't think you want to say you were going 50. First you say you were driving the speed limit, and then if you tell them I was doing 50, then you're self incriminating yourself and you're proving that you're lying about your speed, thus, that you could be lying about running the stop signs and whatnot.

I agree...follow what Joker said, best way to go about it.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:47 PM
Received 272 Likes on 222 Posts
What is careless driving in the state of Nevada, I have never heard of that. I have a wreckless driving charge in California. When you go to court for your first meeting, they will explain everything you are being charged with normally the officer will speak during the court hearing, if they show up. You do not admit guilt, or no contest. You have to plea not guilty and they will offer the public defender as aid and schedule another time for you to go to court. If Nevada is like California the court system will be back logged and will not have any paper work until the court date. I would go to the local DMV or online and find out the definition of the Careless Driving Charge.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by The Stimulation
Not necessarily. Coworker of mine got pulled over by CHP for doing 100 or 108 in a 65 (can't remember what exactly). Cop just gave him a ticket and that's it. That should have gotten the vehicle impounded, but it didn't. He wasn't going that fast in the first place either.
It is at the officers disgression to down grade the ticket depending on the situation. 20 over in California is wreckless driving but if you are in control of the vehicle and not doing something stupid they will lower it to a nice speeding ticket.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talked to the prosecutor, lowered it to speeding beyond reason or something which is two points instead of six, and they cut my fine in half. I will take traffic school to make that go away and I should be good. I figure paying this will be cheaper than retaining a lawyer, and I did run from the cop and I was speeding. I made a dumb decision and get to pay for it now. Albeit not a big fine :-D

Old 01-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Wreckless driving gets your vehicle impounded though doesn't it? I mean 35 over, possibly 43 over would surely be enough reason to impound I would think.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:14 PM
I have been in both situations my wreckless driving they arrested me and took me to jail on the spot and impounded my car. The second i was driving home from Tahoe doing 90+ and passed two CHP's sitting on the side, once I saw the lights go on from the shoulder I pulled over. He walked up to the car laughing and said do you know how fast you were going and I said a little over 90 since i was going down hill but I was being safe about speeding. He down down gradded my ticket to 80 which was only 15 over. My ticket was 450 before traffic school.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In cali u cant beat a CHP ticket FYI!! just hope he dont show. he dont show u win!!. never admit on going fast, always sound confused fight it out in court. in california the judge will make sure he gets money out of u. for tinted windows they lost my ticket then found then gave me a failure to appear. I kept coming to court geting a little posted form the girl in the front. showed judge all my docs all he did was cut the failure to appear 1/2 BS good luck.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:38 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by NachoCheese
I did run from the cop and I was speeding. I made a dumb decision and get to pay for it now.
I consider evading and speeding far worse than a simple dumb decision. The only person to get away with both of these was my brother, cause he was dating the judges daughter....truth!
Gary