G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07-14/)
-   -   throttle position sensor (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/378574-throttle-position-sensor.html)

miconi 06-01-2011 06:43 PM

throttle position sensor

hi everybody...

my service engine soon light came on and code reader is saying it's TPS,so i'd like to know where is it exactly located...is it on the tb or somewhere else...
i took of my tb and cleaned it with tb cleaner as i was advised but nothing happened... so if anyone knows anything about this or how to fix it please let me know...right now when i step on my gas pedal nothing's going on:dunno:
it's 2004 g35 coupe

thanx

fstasfk_G 06-01-2011 07:07 PM

tire pressure sensor..?

LMG_35C 06-01-2011 08:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Throttle Position Sensor is on the throttle body. Assuming you got A P0120-P0122 code you probably moved the throttle valve during cleaning and lost the settings that the ecu was expecting when you went to start back up. You can reset and restore these settings that the ECU needs for control. See the attached. Timing throughout the included steps is critical to make it work.

Nick05LS 06-01-2011 08:33 PM

It's part of the throttle body. The factory service manual tells you how to check it. You should also try the relearn procedures.

Also, there's an accelerator pedal position sensor connected to the accelerator pedal...not sure if that could also cause your problem.

sammy_G 06-01-2011 10:17 PM

(posted this in your other thread as well)

I'm having a similar problem.

car starts and idles at around 1000rpm

no throttle response

error codes show bad throttle sensor... tried a new one... same problem..

tried a new throttle body... same problem...

Trigo 06-01-2011 10:28 PM

I have the same problem but my car idles normal just throttle sucks ( replaced TB )

miconi 06-01-2011 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by LMG_35C (Post 5910797)
Throttle Position Sensor is on the throttle body. Assuming you got A P0120-P0122 code you probably moved the throttle valve during cleaning and lost the settings that the ecu was expecting when you went to start back up. You can reset and restore these settings that the ECU needs for control. See the attached. Timing throughout the included steps is critical to make it work.

this happened before i even cleaned my tb...1st time it happened 2-3 years ago just before i've stored my car for winter and then in spring time check engine light was gone and it was ok for couple of years...and same thing happened last winter and then it was fine when i took it out of storage but now it's happening again...i don't mind changing my tb or just the sensor but i wanna know what it is before i buy anything...
i'll try to restore the settings and will let you know...

thanx for your time and help

miconi 06-01-2011 10:44 PM

thanx for all the info guys, really appreciate your help...

LMG_35C 06-02-2011 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by miconi (Post 5911037)
this happened before i even cleaned my tb...1st time it happened 2-3 years ago just before i've stored my car for winter and then in spring time check engine light was gone and it was ok for couple of years...and same thing happened last winter and then it was fine when i took it out of storage but now it's happening again...i don't mind changing my tb or just the sensor but i wanna know what it is before i buy anything...
i'll try to restore the settings and will let you know...

thanx for your time and help

sounds more like a weak electrical connection or signal rather than a sensor itself, but the seasonal aspect is almost the reverse of what I would expect.

checking the sensor voltage & resistance isn't that hard but you need to locate a shop manual. It will at least allow you to isolate the issue rather than throw parts at it...but sometimes that's easier when it comes to electrical problems :).

If you can't find the reference here or on 350Z site, look over on the NICO site.

miconi 06-27-2011 08:58 PM

same thing happened just now...the code is p2135 and it's saying it's throttle pedal positiong sensor...
So what should i do?
Change the whole peadal?
Did anybody had problem like this?
When i clear my service engine soon light car goes normaly for some time...
Thanx

miconi 06-28-2011 10:10 AM

anyone:confused2:

miconi 06-28-2011 10:17 PM

someone please,don't wanna buy something i don't need...

miconi 06-29-2011 07:27 PM

Bump:)

miconi 06-29-2011 07:33 PM

bythabay 09-28-2011 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by miconi (Post 5971851)

Got a customer right now with the same problem. I did all the relearns and re-calibrations in his G, will let you know how it plays out.

pearl hill 09-28-2011 02:34 PM

hey, im going through this same thing right now..ive owned my g coupe for 2 weeks now and on my first day the p2135 error code showed up and my g died in my driveway when i started it...i had to start it 3 times and finally i was able to drive it, but the check engine light has been on since then, and the car has died on me twice since then....i ahve also cleaned thr throttle body after day one...it was filthy...and jUst today i did the THROTTLE BODY RELEARN and im unsure if i did anything...im thinking of just unplugging the battery for a few minutes just to clean the ses light and see if it ever comes up again... anyone oppose or have any suggestion?

alex2k10 09-28-2011 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by pearl hill (Post 6140263)
hey, im going through this same thing right now..ive owned my g coupe for 2 weeks now and on my first day the p2135 error code showed up and my g died in my driveway when i started it...i had to start it 3 times and finally i was able to drive it, but the check engine light has been on since then, and the car has died on me twice since then....i ahve also cleaned thr throttle body after day one...it was filthy...and jUst today i did the THROTTLE BODY RELEARN and im unsure if i did anything...im thinking of just unplugging the battery for a few minutes just to clean the ses light and see if it ever comes up again... anyone oppose or have any suggestion?

Same here my car just started doing it ..... when i drive it just turns off and it takes a few attemps to turn on before i get it to start.... it feels like the car looses power.

Tristan Laravea 08-26-2017 06:12 PM

bump

cleric670 08-27-2017 11:40 AM

What exactly are you bumping?

Tristan Laravea 08-27-2017 09:41 PM

No Throttle after new motor

Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail (Post 7115988)
What exactly are you bumping?

Just trying to revive this thread as I am expericing similar issues.

just replaced the motor on my g35 and everything is in and together but it appears my throttle is not working. The car starts and will idle but does not react to depressing the gas pedal. Thinking it was TB related I put my old (known working) TB back on and no change.
I have yet to pull codes, but will as soon as they appear.

I think something must have happened during the swap, transmission and engine were pulled together and replaced.

I am aware there are necessary relearn procedures and even with doing so they seem to have no effect to my throttle issue.

any input and or questions are always welcomed,

thank you

cleric670 08-28-2017 06:03 PM

Grab the FSM and test he throttle switch (gas pedal) there's a procedure to unbolt/unplug it (about a 1min job) series together 3x 1.5v batteries (or buy a 3-cell generic holder off the internet) temp the connection to the input side of the switch, work the pedal while you use a meter to read the voltage and make sure it scales properly from 0.5-4.5vdc.

Also check the connectors and make sure a pin didn't get bent on the TB.

G35flex 10-08-2019 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by sammy_G (Post 5910983)
(posted this in your other thread as well)

I'm having a similar problem.

car starts and idles at around 1000rpm

no throttle response

error codes show bad throttle sensor... tried a new one... same problem..

tried a new throttle body... same problem...

Have you gotten this problem solved?

trevor12 10-21-2021 10:39 AM

Hello, purchased my 03 g35 coupe 2 weeks ago, couple days after I got a CEL and code p2138, "throttle position sensor", I have been searching on forums for answers and have not gotten far, replaced throttle position sensor and it did not want to re-learn, so threw old one back in and then from there cleaned the TB which was dirty. Cleared code and then a week later it returned randomly, I got my hands on a used TB and replaced that before spending 200+ on a brand new one and went through the re-learn procedure which went smooth, went for a test ride and when I gave some gas in 3rd limp mode arose and now I'm dumb founded. Got battery tested and its fine but not the healthiest, this morning terminals were giving me issues and had to play with them to get the battery running, I have come to the conclusion that might be something electrical along the harness or a ground possibly?, Please if any of you have a lead and can respond let me know. I have not checked fuses so going to do that.

MikeG35Coupe 10-21-2021 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by trevor12 (Post 7206995)
Hello, purchased my 03 g35 coupe 2 weeks ago, couple days after I got a CEL and code p2138, "throttle position sensor", I have been searching on forums for answers and have not gotten far, replaced throttle position sensor and it did not want to re-learn, so threw old one back in and then from there cleaned the TB which was dirty. Cleared code and then a week later it returned randomly, I got my hands on a used TB and replaced that before spending 200+ on a brand new one and went through the re-learn procedure which went smooth, went for a test ride and when I gave some gas in 3rd limp mode arose and now I'm dumb founded. Got battery tested and its fine but not the healthiest, this morning terminals were giving me issues and had to play with them to get the battery running, I have come to the conclusion that might be something electrical along the harness or a ground possibly?, Please if any of you have a lead and can respond let me know. I have not checked fuses so going to do that.

P2138 is the accelerator pedal position sensor. P2135 is the throttle position sensor.

Download the FSM from here and start troubleshooting (section EC).

cleric670 10-22-2021 02:41 PM

Yep, what that guy said. You can buy the APP switch separately without having to buy the entire gas pedal, just make sure to follow the calibration steps listed in the FSM section EC - Engine Controls under "basic service procedures".

remylebeau 08-12-2023 08:12 PM

fixed

the bumper stopp on the peddle housing little green rubber bushing a bolt that you can adjust works amazingly

BernardWilliam 08-30-2023 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by miconi (Post 5910586)
hi everybody...

my service engine soon light came on and code reader is saying it's TPS,so i'd like to know where is it exactly located...is it on the tb or somewhere else...
i took of my tb and cleaned it with tb cleaner as i was advised but nothing happened... so if anyone knows anything about this or how to fix it please let me know...right now when i step on my gas pedal nothing's going on:dunno:
it's 2004 g35 coupe
thanx

Assuming you got A P0120-P0122 code you probably moved the throttle valve during cleaning and lost the settings that the ecu was expecting when you went to start back up.