G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07-14/)
-   -   store it or drive it?? (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/388596-store-drive.html)

TheBigG 09-14-2011 06:14 PM

store it or drive it??

Hey guys I'm trying to decide whether I should take my summer tires off and put all seasons on or keep the summers on and garage it before first snow fall. I live in Minnesota and our winters can be light or brutal depending on mother nature. I would like to drive it but I'm reading a lot of people saying the snow and the coupe don't mix.

I don't HAVE to drive it as my wife and I have another car, but I would like to have my own transportation for the winter so that is whats keeping this idea going

Chime in ya'll. Thanks

Xet 09-14-2011 06:32 PM

I know there are a bunch of people who throw on winter rims/tires and brave their snow/winters without too much trouble. I don't think all seasons will cut it though, I'm sure we'll have some people who live in the white winter areas chime in soon. Until then there are some threads about this that have come up in the past that you can search up on.

AuAltima3.5 09-14-2011 07:45 PM

I recommend buying a beater.

If you do winter tires right you're looking at about 1000 (700 for tires/300 for cheapy used OEM wheels 17s).

You can spend a few hundred and have another crappy car to beat around in and not worry about accidents/salt/messy interior etc. Jusayin'.

If you don't elect this route, I highly recommend winter tires (not A/S). You will regret a G with A/S tires in anything close to a real winter.

ThatOneDude 09-14-2011 08:05 PM

I've ran my G through a harsh winter without even using any type of special tires. Granted, it was difficult, but I pulled through.

jonesmeister11 09-14-2011 08:18 PM

I rock summer tires in the winter.... needless to say I never leave my house with the G unless there is ZERO snow on the streets.

CharlesHubular 09-14-2011 11:45 PM

I'm from northern indiana right next to Lake Michigan and we average 60'' of snow per year. I store mine. I bought a 96 honda civic for $1200. You would spend that much on winter tires and the difference between premium and regular.
I hate having to drive a bucket for 4-5 months but the gas milage kicks @ss and I don't have to worry about hosing off the salt every day or two.

R10T_x 09-15-2011 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by AuAltima3.5 (Post 6115290)
I recommend buying a beater.

If you do winter tires right you're looking at about 1000 (700 for tires/300 for cheapy used OEM wheels 17s).

You can spend a few hundred and have another crappy car to beat around in and not worry about accidents/salt/messy interior etc. Jusayin'.

If you don't elect this route, I highly recommend winter tires (not A/S). You will regret a G with A/S tires in anything close to a real winter.

+1 best advice

TheBigG 09-15-2011 01:26 PM

Thanks guys I'm gonna store it. I appreciate the feedback.

VeRDE35 09-15-2011 01:50 PM

Here in Texas we have no winter so yay all season driving.

Jaxon1023 09-15-2011 04:01 PM

Same here in Florida! I could never live where it snows lol

savior 09-15-2011 04:14 PM

I will be driving mine unfortunately. Missouri and Illinois roads haven't been kind to my baby.

Getting winter tires soon. Wanting to get new wheels. But with winter 2 months away its kinda pointless

Tabris 09-15-2011 05:06 PM

I just throw on winter tires.. It's just a G, it's not like it's a 130K Porsche or something like that. :p

edit: Hell.. a nice 4S Porsche would be awesome with winter tires on it.

Emerica331 09-15-2011 05:45 PM

I live in columbia, mo and i braved last winter with a brand new set of summers. It was actually kind of a funny story. Probably mid february and we hadn't gotten much of a snowfall at all and it was definitely time for some new tires as the road noise was unbearable. So the day I take my car in to get new tires, we got about 19in of snow. I can tell you that it was definitely kind of a pain getting around out here especially because they do a HORRIBLE job at clearing the roads. But if your town is actually knows how to clear the roads of snow, it's not too bad.

AuAltima3.5 09-15-2011 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Emerica331 (Post 6117018)
I live in columbia, mo and i braved last winter with a brand new set of summers. It was actually kind of a funny story. Probably mid february and we hadn't gotten much of a snowfall at all and it was definitely time for some new tires as the road noise was unbearable. So the day I take my car in to get new tires, we got about 19in of snow. I can tell you that it was definitely kind of a pain getting around out here especially because they do a HORRIBLE job at clearing the roads. But if your town is actually knows how to clear the roads of snow, it's not too bad.

Yeah, except they don't clear everything. I was trying to get out of parking lot with some compacted snow and spent 2-3 minutes. It was a nightmare. You are giving people a false sense of security saying 'it's not too bad.' I had Toyo T1s at the time.

The truth is summers are not designed for weather under 45-50degF, and A/S tires are for those too cheap to have dedicated sets.

I'm not saying A/S tires are bad, just don't do summer tires in winter climates that involve, say ... snow.

TheBigG 09-15-2011 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tabris (Post 6116943)
I just throw on winter tires.. It's just a G, it's not like it's a 130K Porsche or something like that. :p

edit: Hell.. a nice 4S Porsche would be awesome with winter tires on it.

For me it has nothing to do with the prestige of the car, just not dying on the roads is all.