G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07-14/)
-   -   HFC + OEM exhaust Question (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/390061-hfc-oem-exhaust-question.html)

lcysimon 09-30-2011 04:44 PM

HFC + OEM exhaust Question

I notice that the HR Y pipe inlets are 2".
Since most HFCs are 2.5", wouldn't this create a float problem?

Would love to get feedback from HFC/OEM exhaust owners

Thanks!

Massios 09-30-2011 04:48 PM

It will create rasp, but it is negated by the mid pipe resonator and muffler.

lcysimon 09-30-2011 08:21 PM

ah ok...
I am just wondering how HFC+ HR Y pie+oem exhaust will compare to OE cats + Nismo S tune + good Y pipe

I had the NIsmo for a while dyno tuned, but just started missing the OE exhaust sound.

I am also putting on OE HR headers...

So it'll be

2" HR headers->2.5" HFC>2" HR Y pie > 2.5 OE mid pipe...
It just sounds awkward to me but I am sure a lot of people go HFC/OE exhaust...

gary c 09-30-2011 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by lcysimon (Post 6144743)
I notice that the HR Y pipe inlets are 2".
Since most HFCs are 2.5", wouldn't this create a float problem?
Would love to get feedback from HFC/OEM exhaust owners Thanks!

Better solution is to buy a cat-back exhaust and quit foolin around with y-pipes, exhaust s/b 2.5" from the cats to the tips. Add HFCs and you've gained 15+ RWHP above 4500 rpm....:NOD:
Gary

lcysimon 10-01-2011 12:08 AM

I had the Exoticspeed R1T-Si and the Nismo before...
Definately more power, but the sad thing is... they don't sound as good as OE exhaust = (
I do miss the power from Exoticspeed / Nismo... but I missed the OE sound more...

I wish someone would make an OE sound-like exhaust that gives more power!

I come to think about it... The OE exhaust sound was the reason I bought the car =X

rdeverett 10-01-2011 01:34 AM

I agree about the sound of the OEM exhaust. That's why I only plan on getting a few bolt-ons to amplify the sound a bit (mrev2, plenum spacer, and HFCs). You will never see an aftermarket exhaust on my G.

nawalvicky 10-01-2011 02:06 AM

same the main reason i bought the car was because i fell in love with the OE exhaust sound. I now have a HKS replica yes i do love it but i at time do miss the OE exhaust.

_ 10-01-2011 02:14 AM

How about the Motordyne VQ Exhaust.. that maintain the oem sound but louder!! and gives power..

lcysimon 10-01-2011 02:45 AM

The VQ does sound really good but I can't find a video where people accelerate slowly.
IMO, almost all exhaust sound good under WOT, it's the slow acceleration that you deal with on a daily basis that makes or breaks the exhaust...

I first started with Exoticspeed, it was great power, but I was having trouble driving friends and co-workers around due to the freeway drone.
Then I went on the Nismo S tune which has a good roar at 3k but lost the 2k roar and the deceleration roar.

What ultimately got me to take off the Nismo was the fact that I turn my head on OE G exhaust, and I keep thinking it sounds better... Then I asked myself... why?!

I am considering putting HR headers on + HR HFC, and I just realized that there are no HFCs at 2" inlets and outlets...

lcysimon 10-01-2011 02:48 AM

On another note, do you HKS owner ever think about swapping back to OEM exhaust = P ?

_ 10-01-2011 03:27 AM

heres one of the forum member with the VQ exhaust.

imo the nismo exhaust does sound like the oe exhaust, except louder. Maybe try the R-Tune exhaust, sounds like oe sound to me.

Blue Dream 10-01-2011 04:36 AM

Not a coupe but here's a quick clip of the MD VQ on my sedan.

MD XYZ-resonated
MD Resonated mid
MD VQ TT muffler

Best sedan exhaust ever- reflash of Osiris after adding just the cat back exhaust=10HP/7TQ

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/u...7/th_011-4.jpg

ART pipes will be here next week. ;)

lcysimon 10-01-2011 01:11 PM

Thanks for feedback guys!
Blue Dream: How do you compare the VQ to the OE exhaust?
Do you still have the 2k-3.5k growl? I just think that's the best exhaust sound ever.

It's funny because I was going to pick up a 2006 Cayman S or G37 Coupe, but the OE 2k-3.5k exhaust growl really got me...

Blue Dream 10-01-2011 01:31 PM

Since I drive a sedan, the exhaust tone is completely different than stock. But with the dual resonators I'm running, the best way to describe the tone now is like a coupe on steroids. Has the same coupe tone only slightly louder and yes, the sweet spot still exists. Tony made a VQ exhaust for the coupe, but I don't think it's available new any more. You'd have to find a used on from a member to get one.

My favorite sound is when I'm accelerating and let off the gas, the tone just gurgles and resonates slightly in the cabin. Makes me smile a big smile every time I hear it. :)

MADtotheA 10-01-2011 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by lcysimon (Post 6145510)
On another note, do you HKS owner ever think about swapping back to OEM exhaust = P ?

I'm honestly debating this but keeping the Berks HFC. I'm gonna give it a few more weeks to be sure though :driving: