G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07-14/)
-   -   5AT Transmission Transformation (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/390599-5at-transmission-transformation.html)

AzuMaster 10-06-2011 02:42 PM

5AT Transmission Transformation

Whats up G Fam? I need some help. I plan on running Forced Induction pretty soon. I have gotten all my info as far built engine, TT kit and Transmission upgrades with pricing for most of it. I'm having a serious problem finding Torque Convertors and Valve bodies that I can order. I live in Maryland and Stillen is the only reputable company that ships those pieces out. But from the reviews everyone says that Stillen is just a lil better than stock. I plan on doing a serious build and getting up to like 450TQ so I need something legit. With that being said, I dont want to do a full rebuild of a my tranny since this is my daily driver and I'm trying to scale back down time as well as trying to save some money. Any help will be appreciated. Just wanna know what site I can get these from or if there is a shop within 200 miles that I cld take it to.

herrschaft 10-06-2011 03:49 PM

Transgo VB kit, ordered mine through Summit Racing.
Not sure about TC's though.

Footballmania32 10-06-2011 05:11 PM

+ 1 on the transgo shift kit. I cant help you with TCs though. The best place for you is on my350z. There is alot more technical info on FI builds than here. Tread carefully though, they will tear you a new one if you seem uneducated about things. Best of luck! Keep us posted on your progress!

superchargedg 10-06-2011 06:09 PM

Do not get the Stillen just get the Transgo and its one of the best mods i have made.

superchargedg 10-06-2011 06:13 PM

Also check out Hill's garage he is down in brooklyn park maryland.Go into the national g club forum here and pm Bracketracersteve and ask him his opinion on Frank Hill

AuAltima3.5 10-06-2011 06:18 PM

Why do you need a TC? If you want a higher stall this is not a DD friendly mod IMO.

If you are worried about capacity I would check into Titan TCs. I think we use the same trans as those guys, perhaps they are beefier/have higher stalls. Not saying it will work for a G.

Canadian 10-06-2011 06:18 PM

For that much power you'll need a rebuild, easy. I ran 350whp for a year on a fully built auto, VB upgrade, TQ converter, and a HUGE cooler and it still failed. Granted, I did 4 track days within that year but still - for that much $$ it shouldn't have failed. Personally I wouldn't recommend making that much power on a 5AT that is your daily driver. It's not a matter of if it will fail, but when.

If you drive like a grandma it'll probably last you years and years.. But then again who boosts a G35 and drives slow?

AzuMaster 10-06-2011 06:28 PM

Thanks to everyone so far. Hill's Garage is my shop, Frank is the only person I let touch my car. Reading up on Torque Covertors they all seem to cause more problems than anything else so I'm ditching that idea. Ordered the TransGo Kit and the Stillen Tranny cooler. Decided to start from the transmission and work my up seeing as its the most affordable. TT Kit will b last to go on. Thanks again.

AzuMaster 10-06-2011 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Canadian (Post 6155073)
For that much power you'll need a rebuild, easy. I ran 350whp for a year on a fully built auto, VB upgrade, TQ converter, and a HUGE cooler and it still failed. Granted, I did 4 track days within that year but still - for that much $$ it shouldn't have failed. Personally I wouldn't recommend making that much power on a 5AT that is your daily driver. It's not a matter of if it will fail, but when.

If you drive like a grandma it'll probably last you years and years.. But then again who boosts a G35 and drives slow?

Wow, 350whp and a rebuilt tranny died? Guess I will be keeping my Psi lower than I hoped for. With that being said I just want to be able to run E93 M3s and that class of car. Bcuz I was gonna sell my G and get an M3 but she is just too pretty and $70K is a helluva stretch from $20K on a rebuilt G Monster.

AzuMaster 10-08-2011 12:13 PM

So after tons of research I found that I will definitely need a new clutch kit to handle the power that I'm looking to put down. I found this website http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/perf...ch/Clutch_Kits & they seem to have tons of different kits ranging anywhere from $300 to $2000. My question is will any or all of these work for 5AT or are they just for MT? Thanks again guys.

Swivel 10-08-2011 12:17 PM

^^ MT only, this post tells me you have a lot of research to do. Besides listening to Canadian's experience, look into threads by other boosted AT guys like ITNKICN.

herrschaft 10-08-2011 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by AzuMaster (Post 6155091)
Wow, 350whp and a rebuilt tranny died? Guess I will be keeping my Psi lower than I hoped for. With that being said I just want to be able to run E93 M3s and that class of car. Bcuz I was gonna sell my G and get an M3 but she is just too pretty and $70K is a helluva stretch from $20K on a rebuilt G Monster.

Excess heat destroys VBs. Under normal driving conditions a mostly stock tranny should still last a while.
I've only been boosted for 7 months now but the only upgrade to my tranny is the Transgo kit. I have participitated in many drag events, no road courses yet, and do a lot of spirited driving. So far the transmission has had zero issues with 450+whp/wtq. My rear tires are only 255s so they are probably helping it last longer.

AzuMaster 10-08-2011 12:55 PM

Yea... the more I look the deeper the rabbit hole goes. Always something new. This is gonna take a couple yrs from start to finish at this rate. But I wanna do it right. I want my G & all G's to leave a legacy like the 240sx did... TIMELESS! To herrschaft I assume ur still running close to stock wheels. I wld think wider tires wld help make it easier to put the power to the grounds. I do understand that the wheel/tire combo wld b heavier tho. Plz enlighten me. Thank u.

AzuMaster 10-08-2011 12:59 PM

Is there anywhere that I can just buy a fully built AT that is reputable. I've seen a few places but when I searched for reviews I got nothing. Not tryna drop 4K on untested products.

herrschaft 10-08-2011 01:10 PM

^yes, I'm still running OEM 19s, mainly because they are light weight. Traction is lacking but I'm pretty anal when it comes to choosing aftermarket wheels.