G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07-14/)
-   -   Hello! Mustang GT owner soon to be G35 owner (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/417283-hello-mustang-gt-owner-soon-g35-owner.html)

Kicknshift 10-21-2012 03:36 PM

Hello! Mustang GT owner soon to be G35 owner

Hows it going guys. I'm a soon to be G35 owner. I feel like i need new a sportier more stylish drive that is also more reliable than my GT. Every month there is a new problem from power window breaking to starter failure and many more.
What made me choose a G35? I noticed my new neighbors from down the street own one and it caught my eye, did a little research and seen that the price is fair and it looks so sexy when it's sooped up.
I plan on getting an 03-05 for the price. I'd love to get a 6 speed but only about 1 in 20 on craigslist are manual.

So id like to know how reliable they are? What would a good first mod be? (I was thinking exhaust coming from a mustang :p) hows the handling and speed? And what makes you love your G?

Thanks in advance.

saltyload 10-21-2012 05:09 PM

Good first mod would be 06-07 headlights and tail lights. Looks more modern.

I would change the exhaust later on. Enjoy the stock exhaust while you still can :)

Jg35skyline 10-21-2012 06:57 PM

why not get a 5.0????

Talley9 10-21-2012 09:07 PM

5.0 isn't close to the same price range as a 03-05 G35?

Hope you find one, the reliability issues should cut in half if not more.

Shanes_G 10-21-2012 09:25 PM

Some first good mods would be lowering springs and a motordyne 5/16 plenum spacer.

herrschaft 10-21-2012 09:54 PM

I would recommend getting an 05+. More revisions were done on the later models and the rev-up engines were introduced on the 6mt. Your also not going to get the gains from bolt-ons as you would a V8 so judging from what you previously had is irrelevant. Handling will certainly be improved over a mustang. Research the stickies in this section for info on mods.

partyman66 10-21-2012 11:03 PM

What year is your Mustang?

hologram 10-21-2012 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Kicknshift (Post 6604772)
Hows it going guys. I'm a soon to be G35 owner. I feel like i need new a sportier more stylish drive that is also more reliable than my GT. Every month there is a new problem from power window breaking to starter failure and many more.
What made me choose a G35? I noticed my new neighbors from down the street own one and it caught my eye, did a little research and seen that the price is fair and it looks so sexy when it's sooped up.
I plan on getting an 03-05 for the price. I'd love to get a 6 speed but only about 1 in 20 on craigslist are manual.

So id like to know how reliable they are? What would a good first mod be? (I was thinking exhaust coming from a mustang :p) hows the handling and speed? And what makes you love your G?

Thanks in advance.

Depending on the year of your mustang, the G will be faster, the only mustang I have issues keeping up(and I actually lose badly to) is the new mustang with the 5.0, anything before that is even or you win(depending on their mods).

As far as handling goes, the handling will obliterate Mustangs with ease.

Also the VQ is not very boost friendly and most mods on the car including exhaust, spacer, intake(doesn't even do anything performance wise on the car...except for sound) doesn't yield much power compared to other platforms(maybe 20-30 horsepower if you get a good tuner).

So if you are into performance either you will need to drop a lot of cash to get the power, or spend cash on making it faster around corners than other folks.

The G is very reliable, I have not had any problems with mine in over 2 years I've owned her except for maintenance, and that's not a problem. Gas mileage isn't great but probably better than your V8(I get around 19city, 22 hwy and I drive aggressive in my 5AT).

Get an 06+ if you can help it because the improved features are worth it. Projectors instead of HIDs, Keyless entry via the "intelligent key", remote trunk opening(has a button on the trunk so you don't even have to use the key) a redesigned cluster and center console over 03-04s, and the revup engine has more power than the 03-05's in manual format.

Also with an MT be careful of OC(oil consumption) the engine tends to have that issue where it burns quite a bit of oil and unless under warranty you won't get a new engine block.

herrschaft 10-21-2012 11:22 PM

^The 05 manuals had the revup engine.

DKano 10-21-2012 11:40 PM

Also interested in what year Mustang you have. I've had an 04 and and 06 GT. the new edge is no here near close he G35 handling wise. The 06 I had was close handling wise and a little faster. I had mine in the 12s with bolt ons. The g35 is still fast though and I don't plan on getting rid of mine anytime soon.

TemjinX2 10-22-2012 01:00 AM

I agree, get a 06 if possible since the car's interior is a lot nicer and tend to be more reliable. The engine is dead reliable for all years except the oil burning issues on some 05-07 g35 coupes.

Only issues i've had with my 03 is dead door lock i fixed for $30 and a bad bose radio i fixed for $150.

The v6's doesn't respond as well to bolt ons as a v8. you can go with high flow cats and the plenum spacer are probably the best bang for your buck mods.

First thing you'll notice is there's a lot less torque but the cars a lot easier to drive through corners.

the 03-04 has more tq but less hp and the 05-07 has more hp but little less torque. I would've definity get the manual, the auto is too slow.

Kicknshift 10-22-2012 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by partyman66 (Post 6605099)
What year is your Mustang?

It is a 2001 GT.
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm so glad to hear that the handling is good because coming from a mustang corners and turns aren't the smoothest and thats what I'm real excited for.
I'd love to get an 06+ but money is an issue.
Might be a few months before I find the perfect one.

Also hows the gas on the G when your smashing around town vs normal driving? Significant difference?
For my GT is it insanely bad. I could kill a quarter tank in 15 minutes.

TemjinX2 10-22-2012 05:19 AM

i usually average around 22-24mpg combined driving with 3k shifting in town and smashing it on the on ramps. My best is 29.5 mpg on the highway in 100 degree heat with ac on and around 16-19mpg in the city.

hologram 10-23-2012 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Kicknshift (Post 6605218)
It is a 2001 GT.
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm so glad to hear that the handling is good because coming from a mustang corners and turns aren't the smoothest and thats what I'm real excited for.
I'd love to get an 06+ but money is an issue.
Might be a few months before I find the perfect one.

Also hows the gas on the G when your smashing around town vs normal driving? Significant difference?
For my GT is it insanely bad. I could kill a quarter tank in 15 minutes.

Then forget about mods such as exhaust and so on and focus on getting a nicer car.

DKano 10-23-2012 02:39 PM

Being that you have an 01 GT, you're going to love the handling on the G. My 04 GT gave me a good workout, even when going straight I was sometimes adjusting the steering wheel to keep the car straight. Gas is a little better but not THAT much, on my 04 GT I would get about 220miles on a full tank, on the G I get over 300 before the light comes up but these cars have a bigger fuel tank.