G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Can't see the front hood while driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't see the front hood while driving

Cars with long engine hoods, like the long sedans, and even porsche's have longer and a more 'uptruding' headlamps that makes it easier to see the hoods while seated.

Problem with my g35 is that the left side, it's hard to see the headlight bump because the registration stickers are blocking the view, and can't see the passenger side headlight bump because of the window wipers . Now, I don't know about the rest of the drivers, but I find this to be verrrrrry verrrrrry annoying, and makes it seem to be more a 'girl's' car.

The reason why I even care about this is because I can't accurately measure how close I am to an edge, for example, if there is a big big truck thats slightly crossing over the lanes, I find my selft skewing over to the other lane as well so I don't hit the truck while passing by. Now this may be less problematic if the lanes are wide as in highways and etc, but in certain tunnels or bridges, where there is less space in the lanes, and there are walls literally inches from the end of the lanes, I find my self scared to drive besides another car, so I'm either behind other car or in front, while invading the other lanes so I don't hit the walls.

This may seem very noobish of me, but I just can't accurately determine how close I am from the sides, because I can't see the front hood

I could live not seeing the driver's side, but I would definitely appreciate if I could the ouline of the passenger side, so would it be ok to attach something to the end, say something like an antenna? is there something I can buy and attach to the headlight bump and stick up so I can easily know where the hood ends?

EdIT: basically my problem is that I think I'm too close to the right side , so I'm always driving more to the left on a lane because I'm afraid I'm going to hit the car I'm passing by, or side curb or the wall

And I hate to be in a situation such as this. Makes me feel like a old granny who can't drive for life

Thank you for reading this noobish thread

Last edited by sippinh2o; 11-07-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:44 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Not trying to sound like a d!ck but you need to learn your car so you can learn how to drive properly. Our cars do not have adnormal dimensions so getting used to them should not take long. As for the hood, just adjust the seat if you absolutely need to see it. Proper spacing between the vehicle in front of you will alleviate the requirement to see it anyways.

Last edited by herrschaft; 11-06-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:01 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Booster seat?

The following users liked this post:
Genki (11-07-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by herrschaft
Not trying to sound like a d!ck but you need to learn your car so you can learn how to drive properly. Our cars do not have adnormal dimensions so getting used to them should not take long. As for the hood, just adjust the seat if you absolutely need to see it. Proper spacing between the vehicle in front of you will alleviate the requirement to see it anyways.
I've been driving the car for about 5-6 months now, I don't have a problem spacing front and back just the sides really. Driving under normal conditions, it's doable, but I have a problem driving 40+ mph in Holland Tunnel

basically my problem is that I think I'm too close to the right side, so I'm always driving more to the left on a lane because I'm afraid I'm going to hit the car I'm passing by, or the side curb or the wall

Last edited by sippinh2o; 11-07-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:06 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
I don't really understand this thread

How tall are you? Not trying to be a dick, serious question.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by Tukeeg35
I don't really understand this thread

How tall are you? Not trying to be a dick, serious question.
I'm 6 feet tall, with spiked up hair, not enough head room in g35...

Old 11-07-2012, 12:25 AM
Ok, I can see what your talking about with that tunnel.

sippinh2o (11-07-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 12:35 AM
Ok, I can see what your talking about with that tunnel.
Oh that tunnel, and I hate to be in a situation like this one too

Last edited by sippinh2o; 11-07-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:50 AM
Just stay close to the lines and you will be fine. 40mph is not fast, and quickly pass any trucks that are on the lines. Taveling alongside of a truck for an extended amount of time is something I would try to avoid since theres really no room to maneuver.

sippinh2o (11-07-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 12:56 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
You're better off having a hood that slopes out of sight than a hood that goes straight forever. Try going up a huge hill with a big long boxy front hood and approaching the crest... You can't see anything at all in front of you while climbing extremely steep hills near the crest and if a pedestrian or other vehicle were to unexpectedly shoot out in front of you, you would probably never see them and run them over. I've felt like this numerous times while renting various Mustang convertibles at some of the hillier locations in California.... and I did not like it one bit!

sippinh2o (11-07-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 01:07 AM
Just stay close to the lines and you will be fine. 40mph is not fast, and quickly pass any trucks that are on the lines. Taveling alongside of a truck for an extended amount of time is something I would try to avoid since theres really no room to maneuver.
I always pass by cars if I can, and definitely don't stay in someone's blind spot, simply because I don't trust other drivers
but driving 40mph+ in Holland tunnel is way too scary, I donno it just is.

When I was driving in the Caribbean, roads are very very narrow sometimes going outside the paved road is not an option.

and many timesother drivers dont stay on their half side, there are no lines or demarkation, you'd just have to guess where the half line is, and once in a while there would be people who cross over the imaginary half line, taking up so much space and Id have to drive exactly edge with my tires missing the incoming cars by few inches but I was confiident in manuevering because I knew exactly where my tires were. Factor in nighttime, and tight corners where you don't see other vehicles coming, things just get spontaneous and I'd have to know what I'm doing to avoid horrible accidents.

I'm just not confident in driving g35 in tight spaces, good thing roads are so wide in USA.

Last edited by sippinh2o; 11-07-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:21 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I notice that I'm always to the left of the lane as well and when I park I'm always closer to the left side line than I thought. I can rarely park this car dead center in a space. But I don't think its cause of the hood, I think its because I came from owning a Porsche Boxster and this thing feels like the Titanic compared to that. I've had it for a year now and I still have moderate trouble judging gaps in it.

sippinh2o (11-07-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 02:36 AM
Originally Posted by blues3531
I notice that I'm always to the left of the lane as well and when I park I'm always closer to the left side line than I thought. I can rarely park this car dead center in a space. But I don't think its cause of the hood, I think its because I came from owning a Porsche Boxster and this thing feels like the Titanic compared to that. I've had it for a year now and I still have moderate trouble judging gaps in it.
yea I've driven few cars including solara, old old civic, toyota corona (YES CORONA), 997 carrera s, lexus ls 430 and among others, the few cars out of the limited number of cars I've driven that I had problems with side to side spacing are g35 coupe, and s550

I had complete control of this car in terms of spacing, +/- 2 inches
and yes, I did drive this car in pure japanese spec, driver side on right side, and drive on left side of the road, 5mt
though this picture is just from the internet

Last edited by sippinh2o; 11-07-2012 at 02:42 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:02 AM
Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
Sweet pictures.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:27 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
If you've driven all the cars you claim you shouldn't be having these visual issue. Stay in your lane and maintain speed limit, signal when changing lanes (you did get that option?) and you'll be fine....Gary

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can't see the front hood while driving