G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

need experienced advice

Old 01-11-2013, 01:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
need experienced advice

I have an 04 g35 coupe 6MT and im just trying to see what other things i could do to it to make it faster. i have researched a lot on this site and google to try to find more ways and this is what ive come up with so far. Im new to all this stuff but from what ive read this os what ive come up with.

i am purchasing 4.08 FD next week to install.
im going to put on a jwt pop charger with z tube on next as well as a 5/16 plenum spacer. i am going to get borla exhaust down the road with stillen hfc.

i guess im just wandering if those would be worth it in giving me alot more power? Or is there some other things i should add (besides an sc)
thanks in advanced

Old 01-11-2013, 01:35 PM
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
ahhh this thread comes up way too often.

first off what are your goals/reasons for making the car fast... just to be fast? drag strip? track? quality bolt ons and a great tune can net you between 285 to even slightly over 300 depending on tune and conditions. not a lot of horsepower considering the weight of these cars.

forced induction is fast, but then you can run intk reliability issues and not to mention the price to go forced induction alone will run you upwards of 7 grand minimum and thatll be on ur stock motor. build down the future will cost you even more.

so if you are looking to be quick, maybe within the mid to high 13's on a all motor car at the drag strip then go with quality bolt ons and tune and hope for the best.

anything faster and you might as well start stacking some serious cash for a forced induction and build for the future

Old 01-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Welcome to DRIVER ditto....
Had you done detailed research or used our SEARCH function you would have found the 4.08s to low with the exception of the drag strip. The pop charger will cost you 30% RWHP in warm weather and the Borla exhaust is a major POS! Ready to start over? Motordyne's 1/2" spacer ISO will correct Nissan's design error in your plenum. There dual exhaust system will also give you the best HP of any on the market. Stillen's CAI/Z-Tube combo with it's giant cone K&N filter will increase airflow and not cause you HP loss in hot weather. HFCs are illegal in 48 states, but if you happen to live in CA you'll be swapping them out every other year for your smog test. If you live in a state like Florida where laws don't apply get Motordyne's ART pipes, they'll work well with his exhaust system. Once you've completed the above mods you'll need a Osiris tune, that's when you realize all your HP gains from the bolt ons. Once completed lower gears might be in order but not that low....Gary

Old 01-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like to do everything as inexpensively (not read "cheap") as possible and not throw money at the goal of gaining HP. Your 04 is no doubt in need of some sort of tune up. How are the plugs? Have you cleaned your MAF? Fresh PCV Valve? Your 04 MAY have Wideband 02's in the manifold - clean em or replace so your A/F can be accurately reported.

I agree with the Z tube and 5/16th's spacer. Drop the pop charger and Borla, like gary said they will take HP away. The stock airbox pulls air from cooler areas so just go with a high quality drop in. Since you have a non rev up and have less likelyhood of oil consumption, i'd get Test Pipes of some sort over HFC's. (some people think an unrestricted exhaust will cause more OC). The motordyne exhausts are awesome if you wanna pay that much.

Get a lightweight flywheel since you care mostly about HP at the cost of decreased drivability and increased noise. This is a big power gainer. Don't mess w your pulleys.

When it comes to the tuning I don't know much yet. I'm sure the Osiris is the BEST route, but i'm to DIY to do that so i'm gonna try street tuning my piggyback. (don't flame me, I know the risks and whatnot).

Smaller, lighter wheels make a big difference. Also an aluminum driveshaft.

of course this is not the path to max power, more of a cost/benefit solution.

Good Luck!

Old 01-11-2013, 02:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
your tuner will certainly advance the crap out of your timing so always run 93 octane+ (hope you can get 93)

Old 01-11-2013, 02:33 PM
My main thing is for drag and to pretty much be fast. Well ive read alot of people say the 4.08 is low but gave them significant pull increase in each gear compared to the 3.5 stock in my g35 now. and i looked at 3.9 gears but they are 3 times the price of a 4.08 so figured that would be the best. the only reason why i wanted borla is because i like the sound personally but for a loss of hp its not worth it. So the 1/2 spacer is better for power than the 5/16? And i live in hot climate pretty much all year round so i guess the jwt would be a waste of money for sure if i lose 30% in warm weather.
sorry for being a newb at all of this im just simply trying to learn and find that asking people directly is better for me than searching but i will search more stuff.

I just bought the car a month ago and it has a rebuilt motor with only 10000 miles on it. new clutch and ill have to check the plugs and maf sensor.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:50 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by dotto929
My main thing is for drag and to pretty much be fast. Well ive read alot of people say the 4.08 is low but gave them significant pull increase in each gear compared to the 3.5 stock in my g35 now. and i looked at 3.9 gears but they are 3 times the price of a 4.08 so figured that would be the best. the only reason why i wanted borla is because i like the sound personally but for a loss of hp its not worth it. So the 1/2 spacer is better for power than the 5/16? And i live in hot climate pretty much all year round so i guess the jwt would be a waste of money for sure if i lose 30% in warm weather.
sorry for being a newb at all of this im just simply trying to learn and find that asking people directly is better for me than searching but i will search more stuff.

I just bought the car a month ago and it has a rebuilt motor with only 10000 miles on it. new clutch and ill have to check the plugs and maf sensor.

You won't literally lose 30% WHP from that intake(maybe more like 5-8% loss), but it would be a pointless "upgrade" since heat-soak will have a noticeable impact on your hot-weather performance. Go with a Z-tube and a high-flow drop-in filter element in the stock airbox instead. It's both cheap and effective upgrade alternative.

Also... bear in mind that if you go that low on your gearing change, you might find your gears to be a bit too short. 1st gear on a stock 6MT is already a bit too short IMO, and you can pretty much forget about using it all together with that low of a gearing setup. You need to also consider the quality of the gears that you get. Don't just get the one that's the cheapest. The gears that you end up putting in will be absolutely critical to the reliability of your vehicle and it will end up costing you a lot more in the long run if you put in some junk gears and they don't last you the life of your car.

Chances are that your spark plugs are fine if they rebuilt the motor 10K ago.

You might want to look into trying to lighten the car up as much as possible by removing your spare tire, jack, anything else in the trunk, and any other unnecessary tid-bits... preferably ones that can't be seen in normal conditions. Get a lightweight battery and keep your winshield washer fluid level pretty low. You could also consider switching over to Evans Waterless Coolant in your cooling system, which should allow you to keep your coolant overflow reservoir pretty low (since it doesn't boil over) and will also allow your car to run slightly cooler.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:01 PM
Yeah i think thats what im going to just do. Z tube and stock air box with upgraded filter. As far as the gears go. I am looking at the ones on nissanraceshop.com so i think they should be pretty good gears. they are the same ones that are on z1 but better priced. I dont really mind the short gear honestly but i think i may still wait on getting that upgrade to see how much pull i can get out of other mods. Im still curious on what mods i should do tho..
Plenum spacer, Z tube, HFC, and im still searching what other things i could do? money isnt really my biggest concern unless its over a grand for a single part like a full exhaust system or a sc becuase i can always save up for less than a grand pretty quickly.

I want to take the rear seats out to reduce weight and replace it with something to cover up the wires and speakers but still am searching on that one.
Any other suggestions?
thanks for all the help so far.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:15 PM
Received 820 Likes on 595 Posts
You can do nismo cams

Old 01-11-2013, 08:20 PM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
mrev2 to go with the spacer, I would highly suggest the ART pipes and MD exhaust. Headers if you want to spend the money to get them installed, cams. Then Tune. Thats pretty much it tbh. You can do a lot more little things to help but itll take me like a paragraph to explain and I dont want to haha

Old 01-11-2013, 08:42 PM
is my car compatible for the mrev2? ive been looking into that but read its only for rev up cars and idk if mine is one of those or not. (sorry like i said still new to all this and wanting to learn)
My wife is leaving for the military soon so i will have lots of time and extra money to put into my g35.

is it possible for these cars to get up to 500rwhp with a supercharger? or would i have to go tt for that one.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:48 PM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by dotto929
is my car compatible for the mrev2? ive been looking into that but read its only for rev up cars and idk if mine is one of those or not. (sorry like i said still new to all this and wanting to learn)
My wife is leaving for the military soon so i will have lots of time and extra money to put into my g35.

is it possible for these cars to get up to 500rwhp with a supercharger? or would i have to go tt for that one.
Yea lol you have research to do. All these questions have been asked before on the forum. Yes you can get 500hp with a SC but not on a stock engine. You'll have to build the engine to handle those numbers. Our stock engines are a ticking time bomb when boosted.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:58 PM
haha looks like i do.

well thanks for the help!

The following users liked this post:
06G35Coupe94 (01-11-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi-flow cats are a good considering they go bad around 10500 miles. I did mine and my stock exhaust sounds so much better than before.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:04 PM
which ones did you go with? i was looking at Stillens HFC but dont know if there is a difference in any other brand or if its just preference.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: need experienced advice