G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Would you consider the V35 Coupe a good beginner car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 12:03 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If your a teenager and thats your first car I believe it would be but thats just my 2 cents.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This isnt my first car but I've been looking heavily into this car and I dont think anything could make me change my mind.

Back to post I think that this would be a good car for a first car. Reliable

Old 03-15-2013, 12:35 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Got my Z at 19 (I still am).
Just be mature and responsible, you should be good.

Off course this is a sports car, and you'll be tempted to push it sometime, and you will.
Just be careful when you do so

Old 03-15-2013, 02:03 AM
Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Moussa93
I don't consider 286HP as too much power...
It depends on your expectations, how you are driving, and where on the traction circle you are.

Again, I think it depends on your maturity level especially in regards to thrill seeking or peer-pressure.

I think one of the scariest thoughts of an immature teen behind behind the wheels of one of these (ie me years ago), is that the car doesn't really feel that fast in a straight line. So I think you end up with a lead right foot. So you floor it in third on a straight, and you think, no big deal, so you floor it all the time in 3rd, thinking the car has no hp. So one day you are driving "spirited" and you enter a mid speed corner in 3rd, thinking the car has no torque, without understanding the idea of the traction circle, you hit the apex, and you mash the gas. The tail gets loose, and you go WTF what do i do, and then being the n00b teenager you are, you lift, and the car either flys off the road on the outside or catches and flies off the road on the inside. The problem is like 10 times worse in second gear, but I would hope that even a beginner driver would realize that stomping on the gas in second mid corner is not a bright idea.

Add rain on top of that, and it gets very scary. Even now I get surprised sometimes when the rear starts to step out in the rain. It happens a lot earlier than I expect sometimes, especially off camber.

And this is all on top of the fact that any beginner car has a high probability of ending up beat up or totaled. But it's not like a 5-9 year old car is that bling bling.

I think if you just always leave traction control on, it shouldn't be that much worse than any other car though. stupid teenagers can spin out in ff family sedans too. I did.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:08 AM
Originally Posted by totopo
It depends on your expectations, how you are driving, and where on the traction circle you are.

Again, I think it depends on your maturity level especially in regards to thrill seeking or peer-pressure.

I think one of the scariest thoughts of an immature teen behind behind the wheels of one of these (ie me years ago), is that the car doesn't really feel that fast in a straight line. So I think you end up with a lead right foot. So you floor it in third on a straight, and you think, no big deal, so you floor it all the time in 3rd, thinking the car has no hp. So one day you are driving "spirited" and you enter a mid speed corner in 3rd, thinking the car has no torque, without understanding the idea of the traction circle, you hit the apex, and you mash the gas. The tail gets loose, and you go WTF what do i do, and then being the n00b teenager you are, you lift, and the car either flys off the road on the outside or catches and flies off the road on the inside. The problem is like 10 times worse in second gear, but I would hope that even a beginner driver would realize that stomping on the gas in second mid corner is not a bright idea.

Add rain on top of that, and it gets very scary. Even now I get surprised sometimes when the rear starts to step out in the rain. It happens a lot earlier than I expect sometimes, especially off camber.

And this is all on top of the fact that any beginner car has a high probability of ending up beat up or totaled. But it's not like a 5-9 year old car is that bling bling.

I think if you just always leave traction control on, it shouldn't be that much worse than any other car though. stupid teenagers can spin out in ff family sedans too. I did.
You're totally right !

TCS always on, and don't do crazy on rain.
I've got my car since October and when it rains, 50mph is my max speed... I don't even joke around about that

Old 03-15-2013, 02:26 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
^ I think that's sorta overkill. Honestly, it's like when I was teaching my wife how to drive since she got her license at 23. A lot of the stuff that I kept stressing about I had learned firsthand the hard way. So in my opinion experience really is key. That, and responsibility, of course. My first car was a '91 240SX at age 19. I'm almost 27 now, and I know that I've been through A LOT of crap that I'm lucky to have pulled off without any incidents.

Seriously, as long as you're mature about driving and are aware of how a RWD reacts, or any car for that matter, then you should be fine.

Around here we average 70-75 in the fast lane in the rain (not when it's pouring, of course). I'm not trying to sound like a badass or anything, I'm just trying to say that you don't need to drive like a granny just because your car's not an AWD.

RWD ≠ spinning out.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:31 AM
Originally Posted by 350GT_
^ I think that's sorta overkill. Honestly, it's like when I was teaching my wife how to drive since she got her license at 23. A lot of the stuff that I kept stressing about I had learned firsthand the hard way. So in my opinion experience really is key. That, and responsibility, of course. My first car was a '91 240SX at age 19. I'm almost 27 now, and I know that I've been through A LOT of crap that I'm lucky to have pulled off without any incidents.

Seriously, as long as you're mature about driving and are aware of how a RWD reacts, or any car for that matter, then you should be fine.

Around here we average 70-75 in the fast lane in the rain (not when it's pouring, of course). I'm not trying to sound like a badass or anything, I'm just trying to say that you don't need to drive like a granny just because your car's not an AWD.

RWD ≠ spinning out.
You're right
RWD with some good all season tires can do a really nice job in rain.
Personally, I never really experienced FWD, the Z being my first real DD and its a RWD. I had an Accord before the Z but didn't drive it and enjoy it as much as I am right now

Old 03-15-2013, 05:02 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Monsterkx2fiddy
This isnt my first car but I've been looking heavily into this car and I dont think anything could make me change my mind.

Back to post I think that this would be a good car for a first car. Reliable
You should wait until you actually own a G35 before making suggestions to someone else about ownership of this car. It's pointless and confusing to the person who asked the question to try to give them insight on a topic that you have no firsthand experience with.

The following users liked this post:
350GT_ (03-15-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 05:13 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
^ +1

@Monster As you may have noticed, many people have very different experiences with these cars as well (or any car). Anyone could say, "hell yeah, get that NSX, GT-R, Supra, etc." but without having firsthand experience with the problems that the cars have (which all of them have something) you can't give people your biased fanboy opinion.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:46 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by samzg35
damn, how old are you?

Old 03-17-2013, 12:50 AM
These cars only have 230-240 rwhp. Not that big of a deal. Better then many other first choices.

Also it seems like people arent having too many large issues besides maybe some oil burning. All "major " problems are usually just an annoyance to the owner and not something that bad. First car needs some character...
Everything else is cheap fixes. Which is good because it allows a first timer to let daddy teach something.

No reason to bash the new guy. Geeesh

Old 03-17-2013, 07:04 AM
Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Monsterkx2fiddy
These cars only have 230-240 rwhp. Not that big of a deal. Better then many other first choices.

Also it seems like people arent having too many large issues besides maybe some oil burning. All "major " problems are usually just an annoyance to the owner and not something that bad. First car needs some character...
Everything else is cheap fixes. Which is good because it allows a first timer to let daddy teach something.

No reason to bash the new guy. Geeesh
heheh. it's that mentality that makes me worry for you. 230-240rwhp is enough to get you in trouble if you don't respect it. The engine is way more than enough to power over and spin you out in 3rd. Many of your other first choices would also probably be pretty.... interesting cars for first time drivers. Understand the traction circle.

I would strongly recommend that you leave on traction controls at all times (unless you are on a track) for at least the first 2 years if not longer. Just if nothing else than to have one less thing to worry about when your brain is getting used to the mechanics of driving and the mirrors and looking out for other cars and people. And when you feel the traction control turn on, try to drive better and not have it turn on the next time.

It's basically this aspect of the car that makes me worried when thinking of it in the hands of a beginner, especially a young male (i'm glad it wasn't my first car):

Old 03-17-2013, 11:46 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by totopo
heheh. it's that mentality that makes me worry for you. 230-240rwhp is enough to get you in trouble if you don't respect it. The engine is way more than enough to power over and spin you out in 3rd..........It's basically this aspect of the car that makes me worried when thinking of it in the hands of a beginner, especially a young male.......
^
But, obviously people with zero experience behind the wheel are such excellent drivers these days Especially when they watch the Fast&Furious movies over and over and learn everything there is about spirited driving...

Old 03-17-2013, 12:18 PM
He's a kid he's gonna crash someway or another. Probably in a parking lot. Or maybe screwing around in the rain. Id be more worried about him crashing going triple digits. But just about every car goes triple digits.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:24 PM
I'd rather not argue about the subject with someone over the Internet.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Would you consider the V35 Coupe a good beginner car?