G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07-14/)
-   -   Does moding your car cause problems? (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/424750-does-moding-your-car-cause-problems.html)

LxV Socal 03-21-2013 02:32 PM

Does moding your car cause problems?

would modifying your car such as adding the MD spacer,z-tube,hfc etc...all that type of stuff,I was wondering if not keeping the car stock give you more problems than a stock car would? hope that makes sense.:)

That's G 03-21-2013 02:34 PM

Only if you mod irresponsibly. Quality mods won't cause problems. Do it right the first time :)

herrschaft 03-21-2013 03:09 PM

Since your in California, you may have problems when its time to smog.

Kerry Garrison 03-21-2013 03:12 PM

Causes more problems with your wife than with your car

Plur 03-21-2013 03:17 PM

Yeah you can break it.

FMDIvoryG 03-21-2013 04:16 PM

It causes problems with your bank account.

bluedevils95 03-21-2013 04:26 PM

^ anyone good one! If i never saw this page my car would have just stopped w/ tinted windows and exhaust. That is it!

irishsig 03-21-2013 04:31 PM

All 3 mods u mentioned are great breather mods & the 1st three you should def do.
Aftermarket exhaust too if u want.
They won't hurt your car as long as they are installed correctly.

LxV Socal 03-21-2013 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by irishsig (Post 6718517)
All 3 mods u mentioned are great breather mods & the 1st three you should def do.
Aftermarket exhaust too if u want.
They won't hurt your car as long as they are installed correctly.

Yea I plan on getting the 5/16 md spacer,z-tube with k&n drop in filter and berks HFC w/stock exhaus and stopping theret.I just wanted to see what everyone said because I was going through the "would you buy a g35 again" thread and a great amount of people said that they regret modifying their cars so much.:dunno:

irishsig 03-21-2013 04:54 PM

They might have been talking about forced induction, dunno.
That's a big mod that takes a lot of money, time and upkeep.
I've got all 3 mods u mentioned plus exhaust and love it.
I think your choices are good reasonable mods that shouldn't cause you any issues.

That G Gray 03-21-2013 04:56 PM

go FI.

gary c 03-21-2013 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Kerry Garrison (Post 6718466)

You too....:icon18:...my wife asked, "Why replace parts on a car that's brand new?" (2004)

I consider many mods actually upgrades so they serve a purpose. Motordyne's spacer corrects Nissan's design flaw. I've never owned a car I haven't upgraded the exhaust and wheels! That means they're better than what they came with....upgrades. You can go with HFCs just not BERK's! :OHBOY: Go with Fast Intentions, great sound and they'll last. Remember to save your OE cats, you can reinstall them for your smog check every other year. Mods done correctly won't hurt your G, they just make it more fun to drive....fact!
Gary

bigc 03-21-2013 07:05 PM

+1 to what herrsc, irish, and gary said. the mods you proposed are fine.

LxV Socal 03-21-2013 10:41 PM

Ahhh ok thanks for the input guys.:)

Originally Posted by Kerry Garrison (Post 6718466)

this had me rolling xD but I'm a single youngster so no worries there

partyman66 03-21-2013 11:33 PM

This is way too generic of a question....

It's like asking "Is drinking fluid good for you?"... The answer is that it depends what you're drinking, and how much of it.

Some mods won't impact the reliability of your car, and may help it be more reliable. Others will negatively impact the reliability and overall street-ability of the vehicle. If you use low-quality mods, don't expect the car to be super reliable... but even that is a broad generalization.

If you plan on putting serious mods on your car such as Superchargers/Turbos, that will negatively impact the reliability and durability of your car. If you do simple stuff like a Z-Tube, aftermarket drop-in filter, and a cat-back exhaust, that should have no bearing on the reliability of your car. If you start modding things like the fuel mixture through a tune, you better make sure you get a good reliable tune that isn't too aggressive to be driven in all weather temps and on street gas, and that works with the breathing mods that you have on the car.

Things like enormous rims with super low-profile tires can lead to increased tire wear and a much higher likelihood of you getting a flat tire from hitting a pothole or hitting a curb. A Cold Air Intake that picks up it's air from very close to the ground can lead to lower reliability in that you can hydrolock the motor by driving through a huge puddle and sucking up the water through the intake. Those are just some examples of potential mods that negatively impact reliability.

In general, vehicles tend to be the most reliable when left stock unless there is a major manufacturing/design defect in the vehicle's stock state that you are rectifying with a superior aftermarket alternative part.