G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07-14/)
-   -   Automatic transmission shifting unsmoothly. (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/442451-automatic-transmission-shifting-unsmoothly.html)

Kicknshift 07-21-2014 05:12 PM

Automatic transmission shifting unsmoothly.

I thought maybe I would ask you guys first before I take it for a diagnostic. It's been like this for a couple months now but it never really bothered me until recently.
Some symptoms are:
Unsmooth downshifts, say im rolling to a red light and it turns green and I press the gas evenly, the car will jerk forward.

Unsmooth up shifts (usually feel it from 2-3 and 3-4 but it isn't a huge problem.

Staying in a certain gear when it needs to shift, say I am in 2nd gear and I decide to step on the gas a little harder, it goes to higher RPM's but it takes a while for the computer to decide to shift to a higher gear, even after my foot is off the gas.

I really don't know what exactly is going on but some info would be great.

Urbanengineer 07-21-2014 10:55 PM

That is kind of how auto transmissions respond if you don't feather them appropriately. You should not have to press the gas enough to make a rough upshift.

On my old honda it really did not like going from 2>1 when you decided to press the gas upon transition.

Usman Ali 07-22-2014 12:23 AM

Change oil as recommended by Nissan, same used to happen to mine till I changed the oil now its smooth as butter.

Kicknshift 07-22-2014 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Urbanengineer (Post 6924127)
That is kind of how auto transmissions respond if you don't feather them appropriately. You should not have to press the gas enough to make a rough upshift.

On my old honda it really did not like going from 2>1 when you decided to press the gas upon transition.

Well Ive driven lots of automatic cars and mine is the only one that reacts like this so it's not the way I'm driving. I'm pretty careful on the gas.

Originally Posted by Usman Ali (Post 6924164)
Change oil as recommended by Nissan, same used to happen to mine till I changed the oil now its smooth as butter.

Your talking transmission fluid right?
If so I'll definitely be on that in the morning.

rsingerG35 07-22-2014 05:09 AM

Check your fluid level and condition of your fluid. If its brown, or burnt smelling you need to change it right now. Only use OEM fluid.

Also these aren't the most responsive transmissions. So that delay you get when you hit the gas in 2nd sounds normal to me.

Eric@TCGMiami 07-22-2014 06:21 AM

What year G35?

Sedan or Coupe?

gary c 07-22-2014 10:04 AM

From what you describe your AT is low on fluid since it shifts using line pressure. I recommend taking your G to your favorite mechanic and have him do a "drain & fill" using only Nissan AT fluid! No other AT fluid is recommended, regardless of what a few members think! Don't go to Infiniti unless you have deep pockets, even Nissan is 30% less...Gary

rsingerG35 07-22-2014 11:47 AM

Or change the fluid yourself. If you can change oil, you can do an AT drain/refill on the G.

SD350GT 07-22-2014 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by rsingerG35 (Post 6924245)
Or change the fluid yourself. If you can change oil, you can do an AT drain/refill on the G.

I got a new project for this weekend!

TheefrshstVQ 08-21-2015 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kicknshift (Post 6924180)
Well Ive driven lots of automatic cars and mine is the only one that reacts like this so it's not the way I'm driving. I'm pretty careful on the gas.

Your talking transmission fluid right?
If so I'll definitely be on that in the morning.

Did you ever resolve the problem? Mine is doing the exact same. I used royal purple tranny fluid when I did a drain and refill. problem started a week after

Kicknshift 08-22-2015 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by TheefrshstVQ (Post 7016319)
Did you ever resolve the problem? Mine is doing the exact same. I used royal purple tranny fluid when I did a drain and refill. problem started a week after

I did a tranny oil change and it didn't change. I just got used to it so it's pretty un-noticeable now.
I found a fix called a grounding kit that somebody sells kits for on this forum. Its suppose to fix this and make shifting much faster.

TheefrshstVQ 08-22-2015 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Kicknshift (Post 7016346)
I did a tranny oil change and it didn't change. I just got used to it so it's pretty un-noticeable now. I found a fix called a grounding kit that somebody sells kits for on this forum. Its suppose to fix this and make shifting much faster.

I thought you'd say that, but thanks for the info

Eric@TCGMiami 08-22-2015 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by TheefrshstVQ (Post 7016319)

Use Nissan Trans Fluid ONLY

NOTHING ELSE !

using the correct specifications

J-Matic was superseded by S-Matic

So S-Matic would be the correct fluid for G35's

Spartan268 08-24-2015 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Kicknshift (Post 7016346)
I did a tranny oil change and it didn't change. I just got used to it so it's pretty un-noticeable now.
I found a fix called a grounding kit that somebody sells kits for on this forum. Its suppose to fix this and make shifting much faster.

It won't fix it 100%. The grounding kit will just help with the electronic response portion of it. So it will help with the CPU decisions.
The actual physical shifting aspect of it will remain the same such as the jerking. But I highly recommend this mod as well, it has been known to make a difference despite what some people may say.