G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07-14/)
-   -   Tire wearing on the inside (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/459382-tire-wearing-inside.html)

NyCrAzY 04-13-2017 04:34 AM

Tire wearing on the inside

So long story short, I was at my mechanic to replace both my belts today and he noticed that BOTH my front tires have wear on the inside. These Toyo brand tires I have are only two years old. What is the reason for it? He said it could be a bad alignment and/or perhaps other things. My mechanic also said I should get them both replaced ASAP since they are in "danger" of blowing. Is he right? I believe he was overreacting on that.

Also, if I do end up replacing both my front tires, can I do 245/40/19 (like the rear) on the front instead of doing 225/40/19?

Thanks. I'll also attach a pic of my front tire on the passenger side so you guys can see for yourself. I don't know much about tires so please excuse me if this is a stupid question.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/g35driv...0b16cb4d03.jpg

partyman66 04-13-2017 06:30 AM

It's pretty normal for our cars to wear on the inner edges of the front tires. All generations of Skylines have done this as a result of aggressive factory front end alignments that the car was designed to have. The same trend of aggressive front end alignment was used with our G35 Coupes, and it results in slightly better handling at the expense of tire longevity.

One of the unfortunate things about the earlier model G35 Coupes(I think it was either '04 and prior or possibly '05 and prior) is that the camber cannot be adjusted to the point that it would eliminate the inner edge tire wear problems. You may have to purchase and install an aftermarket camber kit to be able to get a full range of adjustment so that you can correct that issue if you really want your tires to last longer and wear more evenly. I believe SBC and Stillen used to make kits for our cars so that you can fix that tire wear issues or so you can have a more widespread range of camber adjustment should you desire to go with an extreme setup for a racing application. I'm not sure if the '06's have full range adjustable camber or not, but the earlier G's did not.

BradMD_96 04-13-2017 10:05 AM

I'm pretty sure that wear can be solved by an alignment. And if that does not solve the problem then it is bad compression rod bushings.

The same happened with me, my bushings were bad, replaced with PSB bushes and an alignment, no further problems and the car drives tight again.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/g35driv...233d8c2310.jpg

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/g35driv...cc888fd169.jpg

gary c 04-13-2017 10:22 AM

First step is to find a reliable independent brake/alignment shop in your area. They can check your suspension for wear or the need for alignment that might cause the tire wear you're experiencing. You could run 245s on the front, that won't correct the wear issues you're having...but still a good idea!
Gary

LoSt180 04-13-2017 10:38 AM

The localized wear on the inside like that is from too much toe out. Regular camber wear would be basically in inside half of the tire vs the edge. Worn out compression rod bushings would cause this if you have a good static alignment.

When driving, the force of the road pushes back on the tires, worn bushings can't hold things strait and the result is the tires going toe out while moving. So if your alignment is good, then have the bushings/compression rods replaced.

telcoman 04-13-2017 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by NyCrAzY (Post 7102328)
So long story short, I was at my mechanic to replace both my belts today and he noticed that BOTH my front tires have wear on the inside. These Toyo brand tires I have are only two years old. What is the reason for it? He said it could be a bad alignment and/or perhaps other things. My mechanic also said I should get them both replaced ASAP since they are in "danger" of blowing. Is he right? I believe he was overreacting on that.

Also, if I do end up replacing both my front tires, can I do 245/40/19 (like the rear) on the front instead of doing 225/40/19?

Thanks. I'll also attach a pic of my front tire on the passenger side so you guys can see for yourself. I don't know much about tires so please excuse me if this is a stupid question.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/g35driv...0b16cb4d03.jpg

Buy four new tires and get an alignment.
Tires at my local Infiniti dealer are price competitive with independent shops so I purchase my tires at the dealer. Last time I was charged for three and got the fourth for $1.00.
They also washed and vacuumed my vehicle. Left happy!:)

Remember your life and others depend on those tires. Don't cheap out

Telcoman

Blue Dream 04-13-2017 04:28 PM

All good advice and just to add, no you're not in danger of a blow out. Get a new mechanic, your current one is an idiot that doesn't know anything about tires.

Extreme Dimensions 04-13-2017 06:15 PM

That always breaks my heart. My wheel guy just said every 6,000 miles they recommend an alignment.

telcoman 04-13-2017 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Dream (Post 7102404)
All good advice and just to add, no you're not in danger of a blow out. Get a new mechanic, your current one is an idiot that doesn't know anything about tires.

Could never figure out why those driving a luxury expensive Infiniti gravitate to so called mechanics that don't know s#it because they are cheap.

You get what you pay for in this world

Buy cheap

Buy twice

Telcoman

skunkle121 04-13-2017 08:08 PM

While yes you are getting some inside wear there is still a bit of meat left on inside edge. Keep on eye on that area but you are not in any danger of a blowout or tire failure unless you were completely bald with no more tread in that area or had belts showing.

While you should investigate the reasons for that uneven wear at the moment you are in no danger continuing to drive on those tires as long as the other side looks similar to this one.

gary c 04-14-2017 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Extreme Dimensions (Post 7102417)
That always breaks my heart. My wheel guy just said every 6,000 miles they recommend an alignment.

Paul, sounds like he's selling alignment jobs! That means the average driver would be having their alignment done twice a year. :BS: I finally was able to find an alignment shop that knows how to align modified suspensions. It's been 4 years at least and my Michelin's show zero incorrect wear! I believe alignment done right and you don't have suspension wear issues, the job should last years!
Gary

Extreme Dimensions 04-14-2017 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by gary c (Post 7102466)
Paul, sounds like he's selling alignment jobs! That means the average driver would be having their alignment done twice a year. :BS: I finally was able to find an alignment shop that knows how to align modified suspensions. It's been 4 years at least and my Michelin's show zero incorrect wear! I believe alignment done right and you don't have suspension wear issues, the job should last years!
Gary

I agree, on my best day I do one a year.

NyCrAzY 04-17-2017 08:34 PM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/g35driv...3e5489f008.jpg

here is an updated picture on my front tire. I'm going to end up replacing my front tires. It was due to a bad alignment.

So if I do 245/40/19 on the front, I shouldn't have any issues right? I don't like the look of the OEM 225/40/19, too small for my liking. My rears are OEM 245/40/19.

gary c 04-17-2017 10:49 PM

You won't have any issues running 245s on the front, in fact you might even enjoy the extra control at highway speed. New tires are not an option, I'd make sure the rest of your front suspension isn't worn causing further poor tire wear! Once again, an independent brake/tire shop deals with this issue daily, every town has at least one...have 'em check it out!
Gary

NyCrAzY 04-17-2017 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by gary c (Post 7102781)
You won't have any issues running 245s on the front, in fact you might even enjoy the extra control at highway speed. New tires are not an option, I'd make sure the rest of your front suspension isn't worn causing further poor tire wear! Once again, an independent brake/tire shop deals with this issue daily, every town has at least one...have 'em check it out!
Gary

Thanks Gary. So even though my 19" OEM rays are 19x8.5 on the rear and 19x8 on the front, there's no issue running 245/40/19 on the front. I've seen people doing 245/35/19 instead but I don't know why. I'm not an expert when it comes to tires to please excuse the noob questions lol.

& my suspension was was fine when they inspected the car today. It was the alignment apparently.