G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Swapped dashes. Now Auto/Climate control doesn't work

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 05:56 PM
Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Swapped dashes. Now Auto/Climate control doesn't work

Hey fellow members, recently I swapped dashes with a recovered dash I have been working on for a while. The whole swap went smoothly with a few f-bombs here and there. If anyone has questions about that, ask away. The only thing that I can't figure out is my auto climate control doesn't work like it used to RIGHT before the swap. Whatever temperature you set it for, the air goes straight to the feet. Blows cold air, just doesn't go to the correct vents. Any ideas what could have happened during the swap to cause this?

Thanks in advance

Old 08-11-2017, 06:03 PM
Already took the headunit back out and checked all the connections. All seems good. Only thing I can really think of is when I unplugged the a/c display, I tired to turn the air on, which it didn't. I just figured the button communicates with the display and the two won't work without each other. Maybe I screwed up the communication between the two by pressing buttons with the display removed??

Old 08-11-2017, 09:02 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Are you sure you didn't dislodge or damage the connector/wiring for the mode door motor? It's all part of the communications wiring behind the head unit.

EDIT: Does the display change to show the different modes when you press the button or is it just unresponsive? If the mode button doesn't change the display then I'd suspect something physically wrong with the BUTTON ITSELF.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:53 PM
The mode button works fine. It's just when you press the auto/econ button the blend door actuator goes to the feet full speed instead of the top vents. A/c/heat/defrost all work. I can switch through each mode and the air goes to the right vents. So I suppose the wiring/connector would be in check.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
The heat controller plug is behind the stereo, and the ambient air sensor is right by your right knee when sitting in the car.

The following users liked this post:
FreshLikeAG (08-13-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 08:56 AM
Looked further into the functions of the sensors and location. Gonna take a crack at it this morning when it stops raining. I feel I either broke something or forgot to reconnect something while putting the dash back together.
I also tried and failed to enter the self diagnostic mode that checks the ambient sensors and actuator motors for the a/c.
Shifting from normal control to the self-diagnosis system is accomplished by
starting the engine (turning the ignition switch ON) and pressing OFF switch for at least 5 seconds. The OFF
switch must be pressed within 10 seconds after starting the engine (ignition switch is turned ON). This system
will be canceled by either pressing AUTO.ECON switch or turning the ignition switch OFF. Shifting from one
step is accomplished by means of turning temperature control dial, as required.
I followed directions to the tee. Could it be because I have the cheap a$$ metra double din kit?

Last edited by FreshLikeAG; 08-12-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:42 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Yes, I too have the cheap *** metra double din kit and cannot enter diagnostic mode. I think the issue is actually communication with the AC/Audio controller, an aftermarket stereo won't allow it to enter diagnostic mode is my guess.

My AC is completely functional however, just unable to enter diagnostic mode.

The following users liked this post:
FreshLikeAG (08-13-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 01:33 PM
Good news! The rain finally held up here and got to look at the car. First thing I checked was the ambient sensor and noticed immediately the wire was tucked away and never got connected. Plugged the wire right in and I have climate control once again. That little vent was filled with dust also, maybe check yours. Once you said where that sensor was I was pretty confident I forgot about that connector. These boards are so helpful, glad I could cross off self diagnostic not working because of aftermarket headunit. I actually ran out of sunlight when swapping dashes and was pretty rushed putting the few final panels back together. Glad it was a 5 minute fix and thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Enjoy the weekend!

Old 08-12-2017, 02:25 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Awesome, glad everything is working again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.