G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Pad + Rotor+Caliper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 03:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
G35 6MT Coupe
I needed a breaker bar to get my rotors off. The bolts are on REALLY tight. Also, its a tight fit, so the shorter the socket, the better. I had to raise my car an ungodly amount off the ground just to be able to get the breaker bar to work. Its only 2 bolts, but they require some elbow grease. My 120lb.ft. impact gun wasnt enough....

The following users liked this post:
drodwilly (08-23-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 04:31 PM
Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
I wouldnt recommend pinching the brake hose, especially on older vehicles. The chances of you having problems are slim but most times a hose fails from the inside out. Just drain the master cylinder of brake fluid and collect the rest in a bucket when you remove the caliper. It's a good time to get new fluid in the system anyway. Don't forget to FLUSH your brakes or your foot will go to the floor. Gary put it in the simplest terms for ya

drodwilly (08-23-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to say thank you to all of you guys. I went into the dealership and paid them their money for the fans. I looked at the fans and it didn't look like it took too much work to get them off but not worth the hundreds of dollars in labor. I drove the car from dealership to my house. toward the end of the 8 mile ride i started to feel a little rattle. It's actually the left rear caliper according to the documentation. But was was weird is that i put a piece of plastic on the rotor when i got home and it didn't melt the plastic. I put a piece of plastic on the Right rear rotor and it melted. Makes me wonder if i have my orientation misunderstood or if the actual rotor that was smoking during the test run was mis-communicated somewhere within the dealer.

I checked out rockauto.com and i like how it's presented with regard to quality/use of the parts.

I will get with my mechanic next week and have him take a look. He actually diagnosed my fans as being a problem two years ago. He took the fans out and cleaned the hell out of them and got them back working. I will have him check out the calipers and see what can be salvaged.

I will be having him take a look at an oil pan leak that inifiniti dealership pointed out. Also would be good to have him do brake fluid flush.

Again thank you guys for the knowledge share. with two kids in daycare, lol I'm sure that I will be finding myself working on my car more. I think my next project may be trying to recharge my ac.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:58 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by drodwilly
I want to say thank you to all of you guys. I went into the dealership and paid them their money for the fans. I looked at the fans and it didn't look like it took too much work to get them off but not worth the hundreds of dollars in labor. I drove the car from dealership to my house. toward the end of the 8 mile ride i started to feel a little rattle. It's actually the left rear caliper according to the documentation. But was was weird is that i put a piece of plastic on the rotor when i got home and it didn't melt the plastic. I put a piece of plastic on the Right rear rotor and it melted. Makes me wonder if i have my orientation misunderstood or if the actual rotor that was smoking during the test run was mis-communicated somewhere within the dealer.

I checked out rockauto.com and i like how it's presented with regard to quality/use of the parts.

I will get with my mechanic next week and have him take a look. He actually diagnosed my fans as being a problem two years ago. He took the fans out and cleaned the hell out of them and got them back working. I will have him check out the calipers and see what can be salvaged.

I will be having him take a look at an oil pan leak that inifiniti dealership pointed out. Also would be good to have him do brake fluid flush.

Again thank you guys for the knowledge share. with two kids in daycare, lol I'm sure that I will be finding myself working on my car more. I think my next project may be trying to recharge my ac.
Yea, that radiator fan took them at most an hour to remove. You drain some coolant, unscew a few bolts, and loosen the A/C line and it pops right out. I swapped mine out in about an hour and 15-20 minutes of that was figuring out what I needed to move out of the way, I'm sure a tech already knows the routine.

If you take the wheels off you should be able to kind of shimmy the calipers a little bit back and forth. It's possible they messed up the diagnosis or wrote it down wrong. If your mechanic says your guide pins are seized or if you do some investigating and find that out it's a pretty simple fix, but takes some time.

I wouldn't mess with A/C system by yourself that is one thing I would recommend bringing into a place to have done. It shouldn't require a recharge. If you were having fan problems though, I would hold off on messing with the A/C since that can cause your A/C to run weird. Mine would blow hot air at idle when my fans were not running fast enough.

drodwilly (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
My advice is to not use Chinese (auto zone) brake pads on your car. I tried that route and I had terrible stopping power. Good luck with your situation.

drodwilly (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 09:26 AM
I looked at the fans and it didn't look like it took too much work to get them off but not worth the hundreds of dollars in labor.
Not sure it was the labor that made it expensive. When I had mine replaced by the dealer they wanted 1200. Bitched my way down to 900 and some change. But the oem fan assembly itself was over a whopping $700. I also had them take off the "shop supplies" fee. What a joke of fee that is. I asked my adviser what supplies they used and he said paper towels and rags. What's your paperwork say?
It's actually the left rear caliper according to the documentation. But was was weird is that i put a piece of plastic on the rotor when i got home and it didn't melt the plastic. I put a piece of plastic on the Right rear rotor and it melted. Makes me wonder if i have my orientation misunderstood or if the actual rotor that was smoking during the test run was mis-communicated somewhere within the dealer.
Just feel your wheels after some driving. The fronts will be warmer than the rears but the both sides should be about the same as each other. If one is warmer you found your bad caliper. Another thing I don't like about the dealer is you never talk to the mechanic. The mechanic tells the adviser and the adviser calls you to tell you what's wrong. It just leaves room for miscommunication. There should be a thread about bad experiences at the dealer lol I'd be all over it
I will be having him take a look at an oil pan leak that inifiniti dealership pointed out.
A common leak in that area is the oil cooler gasket. It's what you thread the oil filter onto. Pretty easy to spot and fix. Have you ever seen oil where your car was parked overnight?
I wouldn't mess with A/C system by yourself that is one thing I would recommend bringing into a place to have done. It shouldn't require a recharge. If you were having fan problems though, I would hold off on messing with the A/C since that can cause your A/C to run weird. Mine would blow hot air at idle when my fans were not running fast enough.
I can second that. If you need to refill your freon that means you do have a leak somewhere. It might be worth a refill but have your mechanic do it.

Last edited by FreshLikeAG; 08-24-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:56 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Hi there, I'm a Parts Advisor for an INFINITI dealership. I happen to read your last post and I do apologize for your past experience at your previous INFINITI dealership. I can understand how getting your vehicle serviced at a dealership can be.

As a recommendation for shopping for your new parts potentially needed for your vehicle, I would suggest checking out my dealership's eSTORE. Right now we have all are parts listed below list price and as a G35 Driver user you can save an additional 15% off your entire purchase by using the promo code G35Driver at checkout.

Also INFINITI offers discounted valued parts like brake pads, rotors, and calipers that are less expensive than your factory OEM parts. These parts are backed by INFINITI and are up to OE specs and may be available for your vehicle by VIN. This may or may not save you some money, so of course compare prices and quality of parts with your local generic part store and go from there, either way we're here to help!

If you need further assistance by all means feel free to PM us or give us a call at 843.784.1375 and we're be glad to assist you in either direction you choose.

eSTORE link is below. If parts are available parts can be shipped as early next day pending upon time ordered.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Neat ^.

I got my fan at Rockauto for $77... I can wait though I have multiple vehicles.

hhinfiniti (08-25-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the info. I saved that link and will look into a few parts. By no means did my last experience with the dealer change my view about infiniti overall. I always say if my car died today, I'd be looking for another g35 or 37. Just no way I'd be going back to my local infiniti dealer. My closest infiniti and nissan dealer are under the same ownership and don't have the best ratings. Thanks for looking out for us DIYers

hhinfiniti (08-25-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 01:44 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
No Problem!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.