G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Airbag blinking light?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbag blinking light?

Hey guys, I bought my 2004 infiniti G35 coupe about 2 months ago and my airbag light came on about a month ago. I did the manual reset procedure with the key and it worked for about 2 weeks and the light came back on. I did the procedure again and the light came on the next day and every time i do it now, it'll come on again either the day after or 2 days later I tired to diagnose the blinking pattern but didn't get much luck. The blinking is just continuous and doesn't stop at all. Does anyone know what might this mean? I saved all my money to buy this car and just don't have the money to spend hundreds or thousands on a new airbag. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?
Thanks!

Old 09-09-2017, 03:54 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I recommend taking it to the Nissan dealership for a Consult II scan, it will tell you exactly which DTC (trouble code) is causing the problem. There are 6 airbags, 3 crash zone sensors, 2 seatbelt pre-tensioners, 2, seatbelt switches, the occupant classification module, the steering wheel spiral cable (clock spring), and the diagnostic sensor unit (computer).

A failure of the device or wiring on any one of these items will cause the AIRBAG light to turn on (it will also turn on and stay on in the event of an airbag deployment), troubleshooting the system is an INCREDIBLY lengthy process but only takes minutes for the dealership to plug in and determine which DTC is detected. You don't need to pay for the dealership to do the work to REPAIR the system but I definitely recommend using their services to determine the CAUSE of the problem.

The SRS system is currently disabled if the light is flashing so drive safely and don't ignore the problem, get it fixed.

Old 09-10-2017, 01:33 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
675 this is going to sound harsh but don't take it personally. If you don't have enough money to make necessary repairs and maintenance on a 14 year old car you've made an irresponsible decision. Cleric is spot on, your car's safety system is nothing to mess with. It's there to protect you in a crash and if it doesn't that's really bad. Please rethink your decision and sell the G for a cheaper car you can afford the correct way. What would you do if you have transmission issues or a major motor problem? You would end up with a fairly expensive paper weight that would do you no good not running.

The G is a great car, but a terrible car as a first car or for people that stretched their money thin just to buy one. How can you expect to save any money if all your spare cash is sunk into a car? Life is all about learning lessons and I hope this turns out to be one for you. Buy a cheap and reliable car and save your money for something you can really afford down the line when you can do it right.

Last edited by Blue Dream; 12-25-2017 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had that problem. It's probably the airbag connector under either of the seats. There was a recall but it didn't actually fix the issue. They use new connectors now that are more reliable. There's a bunch of threads about it on this forum.

The following users liked this post:
aaron.demming (03-03-2021)
Old 09-10-2017, 10:51 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
At least invest enough to find out what's causing the airbag light to flash, possibly an easy fix. Seriously doubt if it's an issue with the airbag itself, likely a sensor since that's how they react! You can do a reset which might last for weeks, next time it will come back on much sooner like you experienced.
Gary

Old 09-11-2017, 04:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SoGosu
I had that problem. It's probably the airbag connector under either of the seats. There was a recall but it didn't actually fix the issue. They use new connectors now that are more reliable. There's a bunch of threads about it on this forum.
This is very common. Could be as simple as a drinks bottle etc. rolling under the seat and knocking the connector.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:08 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by gillywig2
This is very common. Could be as simple as a drinks bottle etc. rolling under the seat and knocking the connector.

Our seats sit way to low to allow something the size of a bottle to roll underneath. Are you serious, no one I know on "This side of the pond" leaves trash in their rides!
Gary

Old 09-11-2017, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
675 this is going to sound harsh but don't take it personally. If you don't have enough money to make necessary repairs and maintenance on a 14 year old car you've made an irresponsible decision. Cleric is spot on, your car's safety system is nothing to mess with. It's there to protect you in a crash and if it doesn't that's really bad. Please rethink your decision and sell the G for a cheaper car you can afford the correct way. What would you do if you have transmission issues or a major motor problem? You would end up with a fairy expensive paper weight that would do you no good not running.

The G is a great car, but a terrible car as a first car or for people that stretched their money thin just to buy one. How can you expect to save any money if all your spare cash is sunk into a car? Life is all about learning lessons and I hope this turns out to be one for you. Buy a cheap and reliable car and save your money for something you can really afford down the line when you can do it right.
FWIW I had that problem on my previous 06 G35 6 speed
It was at the dealer a total of five times both during the initial warranty and after the Infiniti Elite warranty expired. Air bag modules were replaced but after the extended warranty expired the problem was finally traced to the wiring harness.
Read the troubleshooting procedure in the FSM

http://www.nicoclub.com/service-manu...Coupe/2004/srs

See SRS page 21

The wiring harness replacement quote was $2200.
Because I had paid for the extended warranty and Infiniti failed to find the root cause during that time I was able to negotiate a three way split between Infiniti customer service, the dealer and myself. $740 took care of the problem at 137k miles
The trouble never came back and I traded it in for my present 2012 G37S at 171796 miles.

As Blue Dream told you, if you can't afford repairs on a fourteen year old vehicle get rid of it.

A brand new vehicle comes with all new parts and a warranty

Telcoman

Last edited by telcoman; 09-11-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Without giving you life advice on your car purchase (rolls eyes) I can say that I had a blinking airbag light problem that would not go away. I reset with the ignition trick over and over, sometimes it would work, most of the time it would not. I took it to my mechanic and he reset it and it was gone for a while. It came back again and he reset it and I haven't had it blink since. It's probably been close to it a year since it blinked. Problem solved? Maybe!

Old 12-24-2017, 07:37 PM
HXS
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Can anyone from SoCal recommend me a dealer to fix this issue? I don't wanna get the run-around or get fed some BS.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:56 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
HXS have you tried manually resetting the system with the key method? Try multiple times, it works for some folks. Also poke your head under the seat and make sure there isn't debris/trash and visually check all the harnesses to make sure they are not obviously damaged.

There is also a diagnostic mode you can put the system in that can help identify the issue without Consult-II, it's a very basic check though and only covers I think 7 of the possible 22 points of failure you might have but it's free. Read the FSM under section SRS to find the steps or Google it.

HXS (12-25-2017)
Old 12-25-2017, 01:18 AM
HXS
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
HXS have you tried manually resetting the system with the key method? Try multiple times, it works for some folks. Also poke your head under the seat and make sure there isn't debris/trash and visually check all the harnesses to make sure they are not obviously damaged.

There is also a diagnostic mode you can put the system in that can help identify the issue without Consult-II, it's a very basic check though and only covers I think 7 of the possible 22 points of failure you might have but it's free. Read the FSM under section SRS to find the steps or Google it.
Yeah I've tried the key method many times. It worked the first few times, then the light kept coming back on; now when I try it, the light won't even go off.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G35 Coupe Sport Edition, All stock except plenum spacer and throttle body spacer
Had the same issue for years, I unbolted the seats disconnected the airbag plugs underneath, put some dielectric on them put them band used one ziptie.( the dealer had done the recall on and they had used like three zipties and glue on each plug).Have not had the problem since, six months. The car has 206k miles. This method was posted here by another member, a very well known issue with these cars.I have a coupe that I have to remind the dealer not to do the recall each time it goes in also.

HXS (12-26-2017)
Old 12-25-2017, 07:14 PM
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Just had this happen to my 03 Coupe, I visually checked connectors under both seats. I disconnected and reconnected several of the easy to get to connectors and reset the light with the car key. Will see what happens.

Old 12-26-2017, 02:08 AM
HXS
Originally Posted by golfino
. This method was posted here by another member, a very well known issue with these cars.I
I'll try this method. Any idea who the member is or where the thread is?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.