G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Bought a wrong transmission apparently

Old 03-28-2018, 08:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Bought a wrong transmission apparently

My daughter has a 2006 G35 Coupe ( 5 speed auto ) that started slipping in reverse last fall, we found what we expected to be a good deal on a low mileage transmission from an auto to standard swap out with 55,000 miles. I removed the original this past Saturday and when comparing on the ground found the replacement to have a three plug wiring harness as opposed to out takeout with a single master plug. My question is this,since everything else appears to be the same castings,pan etc, can I swap out the valve body or solenoids to correct this issue or am I on the hunt again? I am quite capable,have been a hot rod builder and antique car builder my whole life. This modern plug together stuff is beyond me.lol..
Two transmission model numbers are as follows:
91X17
98X2B

Thanks in advance for any help,
Chris.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:07 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Patiently waits for cleric or chasracer to find this thread and share their knowledge.............

OP welcome to the family!

The following users liked this post:
Chris Stapley (04-20-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 07:41 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I think the 3 plug transmission was the early '03 that doesn't have the TCM inside the transmission. I'm out until the weekend and have terrible service where I'm at so I won't be able to help more until I can actually get a solid internet connection.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by Chris Stapley
My daughter has a 2006 G35 Coupe ( 5 speed auto ) that started slipping in reverse last fall, we found what we expected to be a good deal on a low mileage transmission from an auto to standard swap out with 55,000 miles. I removed the original this past Saturday and when comparing on the ground found the replacement to have a three plug wiring harness as opposed to out takeout with a single master plug. My question is this,since everything else appears to be the same castings,pan etc, can I swap out the valve body or solenoids to correct this issue or am I on the hunt again? I am quite capable,have been a hot rod builder and antique car builder my whole life. This modern plug together stuff is beyond me.lol..
Two transmission model numbers are as follows:
91X17
98X2B

Thanks in advance for any help,
Chris.
Hey Chris

Be a good dad and buy your daughter a new car. Perhaps she will allow you to use it on occasion?

Telcoman

Old 03-29-2018, 08:47 AM
Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by telcoman
Hey Chris

Be a good dad and buy your daughter a new car. Perhaps she will allow you to use it on occasion?

Telcoman
Why buy a new car? A trans swap is far cheaper and if the rest of the car is good seems like a no brainer to keep it.

To the op I'll do some digging for ya. I have some free time today

Old 03-29-2018, 12:36 PM
Thanks a bunch fellas,
I don’t need to buy a car for her so I have something fun to drive,lol. Got that covered already!
Really hoping to use what I have ,everything seems to be same but harness, perhaps a swap of valve body etc. Will save me some searching. For this We will both be greatful if any technical insight from this awesome group!
cheers,
Chris
Originally Posted by eazdaskeez
Why buy a new car? A trans swap is far cheaper and if the rest of the car is good seems like a no brainer to keep it.

To the op I'll do some digging for ya. I have some free time today

Old 03-29-2018, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by eazdaskeez
Yeah a tranny swap is cheaper and I used to think like you but life is too short and I enjoy all the new features that keep coming with increasing frequency.

Many years ago the major upgrade was an FM radio in addition to an AM one with five push buttons. Then an 8 track, a cassette player, and a CD player.

Now in my recently purchased Q70 I like the folding side view mirrors at the push of a button when pulling into the garage.
I enjoy being able to view the tire pressure on all four tires at the push of a button.
I enjoy having a front view camera as well as the rear view camera and the side warnings when getting too close to another vehicle or object.
I enjoy the transmission overdrive 8th speed gear when doing 80MPH and the tachometer is sitting at 2300 RPM
I enjoy the rain sensing wipers and daytime headlights.

And best of all I enjoy the performance of this vehicle when using regular 87 octane despite what is written on the gas flap.

Telcoman

Old 03-29-2018, 02:09 PM
Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by telcoman
Yeah a tranny swap is cheaper and I used to think like you but life is too short and I enjoy all the new features that keep coming with increasing frequency.

Many years ago the major upgrade was an FM radio in addition to an AM one with five push buttons. Then an 8 track, a cassette player, and a CD player.

Now in my recently purchased Q70 I like the folding side view mirrors at the push of a button when pulling into the garage.
I enjoy being able to view the tire pressure on all four tires at the push of a button.
I enjoy having a front view camera as well as the rear view camera and the side warnings when getting too close to another vehicle or object.
I enjoy the transmission overdrive 8th speed gear when doing 80MPH and the tachometer is sitting at 2300 RPM
I enjoy the rain sensing wipers and daytime headlights.

And best of all I enjoy the performance of this vehicle when using regular 87 octane despite what is written on the gas flap.

Telcoman

Just sounds like reason to spend more money 😂

Me personally I don't really care for all the new features the new cars have. Just seems like more things to break and eventually need to be serviced

Either way this ain't about us lol .

Op I hope ya find the info your looking for, I didn't find to much so hopefully someone else will see the thread and offer some solid advice.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:56 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Ok I still have the worlds worst internet at like 1G mobile so I made a phone call to a transmission guy I know. He said you probably have the early style transmission that has the TCM inside the car next to the ECU, he said he thought those transmissions all had a couple of green plugs on their electrical harness and the later ones switched to a single big harness that plugs in right on the transmission. Mechanically the rest of the transmission is basically the same and he said he THINKS it's possible to just take the valve body out of a newer style (with TCM attached to the backside of the valve body) and put it into an older style transmission then you just pull out the old internal harness and the grommet that the wires come out of and put the newer style into it.

This is using the same valve body and TCM from your existing newer style transmission though.

My friend has not actually done this before but he's pretty confident it would work since the valve bodies were the same it's just the location of the TCM changed (tcm's are not interchangeable they have very different enclosures).

Hope this helps get you sorted out, they're all Jatco RE5R05A transmissions but there were two revisions of it.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:13 AM
Just a quick update folks! I did indeed pull the pans off both transmissions and removed valve bodies completely for a more in depth look. I too had a pretty good hunch the mechanical side of both was the same,casting numbers etc all confirmed as I went. Took my later one plug integral TCM style valve body to my reputable transmission guy for disassembly and inspection just to ensure it wasn't electronics or valve body failure. Came home,reinstalled buttoned up the rest of it and went for a very enjoyable "burn" down the road..Daughter has one of those dog eating it's own poop grins that will not wipe off now and is off to school Monday with her summer ride once again! Thanks for the effort put forth by everyone,enjoy your Infinity rides this summer too!
Cheers,
Chris.

cleric670 (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 02:01 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Awesome glad it all worked and that you posted the results, I'll pass that along to my transmission guy that the swap DOES indeed work.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:43 PM
Exactly my intent with my reply. Hoping this will make it easier for anyone else who may have the opportunity!

The following 3 users liked this post by Chris Stapley:
Blue Dream (04-21-2018), cleric670 (04-20-2018), Frankieg35 (04-20-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 02:07 PM
Almost two months on the road now, car works like a million bucks!

Old 05-18-2018, 06:17 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Awesome it's running and even more awesome, your daughter is loving it! This forum can be a great place and we're glad you shared your experience with us. Hope you stick around.......