G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07-14/)
-   -   Starting Issues - 2003 g35 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/463602-starting-issues-2003-g35.html)

Owen Taylor 05-16-2018 09:29 AM

Starting Issues - 2003 g35

Hey guys,
I've followed this forum for a few months now, and couldn't quite find a thread that was similar to my issue, so here we go!

I am currrntly living in Antigua going to med school, and I have a 2003 Nissan G35 Skyline (Japanese model) but it's pretty much an Infinity G35. My starting issues initiated when ever it would rain overnight and I had to go to class early in the morning which wouldn't allow the car the ability to dry off or heat up. What would happen is that the vehicle would turn over, but wouldn't fire. I'd pop the hood, wait about 10-30min and it would start. However, when it would start, it would sputter for a second or two and then idle at normal with normal operation. I've replaced the air filter, cleaned the MAF, cleaned the throttle body, changed the spark plugs, performed normal reset procedures, and tried to see if there was an electrical issue. None of these solved the issue, but was necessary maintenance. The VDC Off light and SLIP light are on the dash with no check engine light.

This morning, I tried to start the vehicle and it did the same thing. However, it didn't rain over night. I have a hunch it might be the CAM sensor or timing chain sensor, as those seem to be common, but would love to have some input from you guys. Any thoughts?

Here are some links to the videos of the issue:
Start 1: https://photos.app.goo.gl/PfH8zC4CqHy65aNh2
Start 2: https://photos.app.goo.gl/EixtBxpprvqsxHc53

SoCal04G35 05-17-2018 11:42 AM

did you check the battery?

telcoman 05-17-2018 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Owen Taylor (Post 7139352)
Hey guys,
I've followed this forum for a few months now, and couldn't quite find a thread that was similar to my issue, so here we go!

I am currrntly living in Antigua going to med school, and I have a 2003 Nissan G35 Skyline (Japanese model) but it's pretty much an Infinity G35. My starting issues initiated when ever it would rain overnight and I had to go to class early in the morning which wouldn't allow the car the ability to dry off or heat up. What would happen is that the vehicle would turn over, but wouldn't fire. I'd pop the hood, wait about 10-30min and it would start. However, when it would start, it would sputter for a second or two and then idle at normal with normal operation. I've replaced the air filter, cleaned the MAF, cleaned the throttle body, changed the spark plugs, performed normal reset procedures, and tried to see if there was an electrical issue. None of these solved the issue, but was necessary maintenance. The VDC Off light and SLIP light are on the dash with no check engine light.

This morning, I tried to start the vehicle and it did the same thing. However, it didn't rain over night. I have a hunch it might be the CAM sensor or timing chain sensor, as those seem to be common, but would love to have some input from you guys. Any thoughts?

You are approaching your problem incorrectly.
Prior to replacing any parts what you should have done is first check for spark.
If there was no spark then perhaps it is the cam sensor?
Next would be fuel pressure.
Just guessing and replacing parts may only complicate finding the root cause.

Good luck

Telcoman

Owen Taylor 05-17-2018 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by SoCal04G35 (Post 7139470)
did you check the battery?

I have not personally checked the battery, but the previous owner said that he changed it quite recently. I don't know how much that holds up to be true, but I can get it checked.

Originally Posted by telcoman (Post 7139476)
You are approaching your problem incorrectly.
Prior to replacing any parts what you should have done is first check for spark.
If there was no spark then perhaps it is the cam sensor?
Next would be fuel pressure.
Just guessing and replacing parts may only complicate finding the root cause.

Good luck

Telcoman

I know it's unorthodox, but the availability out here in Antigua isn't as vast as the States. It's tough to find a good mechanic/electrician for the job, and being in medical school, my spare time is rather short. Thank you for the suggestions, I can try those. The problem is aligning the time to work on it when it has rained overnight. Otherwise, I would have done it myself.

Other thought: Could it be possible that the improper oil weight has been used and the engine is sensing poor viscosity?

eazdaskeez 05-17-2018 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Owen Taylor (Post 7139519)
I have not personally checked the battery, but the previous owner said that he changed it quite recently. I don't know how much that holds up to be true, but I can get it checked.

I know it's unorthodox, but the availability out here in Antigua isn't as vast as the States. It's tough to find a good mechanic/electrician for the job, and being in medical school, my spare time is rather short. Thank you for the suggestions, I can try those. The problem is aligning the time to work on it when it has rained overnight. Otherwise, I would have done it myself.

Other thought: Could it be possible that the improper oil weight has been used and the engine is sensing poor viscosity?

Nah these engines aren't that fancy lol

TNRocker 05-17-2018 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Owen Taylor (Post 7139352)
Hey guys,

I rarely post but I just went through this. As mentioned check your battery. Just yesterday my car hesitated a little on start up but ran fine. I ran a quick errand then came home. An hour later I was leaving and the car would not start. It cranked but wouldn't fire up.

The car had not been driven for 2 weeks and has a 3 year old battery. I hooked it up to my 50 AMP charger and the car started but not easy. The VDC and SLIP lights were on. I charged the battery overnight, fired the car up this AM without problem and the lights were off. So yeah, check your battery.

Scorpi0 05-18-2018 04:41 AM

Sup man. My wife has friends in med school in Antigua. She was debating between there and Grenada...ended up in Grenada eventually.

Anyway... u need to confirm your starting problem ONLY happens when it rains. No check engine light means your crankshaft/camshaft sensors are probably not the problem here.

Are u sure your check engine light works?

cleric670 05-18-2018 10:32 AM

I doubt it's the battery, it sounds like it's cranking very strong but something is preventing the car from getting fuel/spark.

My gut feeling is you either have water getting into the IPDM fuse box in the engine compartment (take the cover off, inspect the gasket, put it back together and make sure it is securely closed, also check the rainwater gutter at the bottom of the windshield to make sure water flows freely down to the ground and isn't puddling). OR you are having a problem with the NATS system and the vehicle isn't reading your key transponder which will kill fuel/spark, next time you have this problem watch your security indicator light on the dash and see if it's solid or flashing red while cranking, that would mean that NATS has interlocked the vehicle and you might have a failing KEY.