G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

How’s my suspension look?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 09:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
INFINITI G35 Coupe 6MT w/Brembo's
How’s my suspension look?

My G was used and not sure if the suspension is any good..

Old 08-29-2018, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Hi Danny. At worst I'd say your upper control arms are toast! I'd start there. If those are toast I'd almost guarantee next that the compression rods (front rearward lower control arm) are worn out too.

The shock cover isn't a huge deal, but if you have the money the shocks could be replace just because of mileage, likely.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:47 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Hi Danny. At worst I'd say your upper control arms are toast! I'd start there. If those are toast I'd almost guarantee next that the compression rods (front rearward lower control arm) are worn out too. The shock cover isn't a huge deal, but if you have the money the shocks could be replace just because of mileage, likely.
Perfect answer! ^ I would have your suspension gone thru and replace not only your shocks (looks like OE) but all other bushings that are worn...front and rear if you intend to keep this ride]

The following users liked this post:
cuzin.danny (09-07-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 11:35 AM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
The only thing visibly wrong there are your upper control arms but we can't see worn ball joints, leaking struts, or slightly cracked bushings ready to give out from your pics.
You should have your ball joints checked too, for the compression rods, spindle, tie rods, and end links.

My car looked similar when I picked it up with 115k and by 120k I had done shocks, struts, end links, ball joints, inner/outer tie rods, 1 compression rod (now the other is making noise), poly compression rod bushings, steering rack bushings, F/R sway bar bushings, F/R end links, upper control arms, poly bushings in lower control arms.... By 130k it was engine mounts, rear differential bushings, etc.

Does yours make noise over bumps? Mine was clunking like crazy hence the parts cannon... Now it's silent, since everything is brand new xD

The following users liked this post:
cuzin.danny (09-07-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by cswlightning
The only thing visibly wrong there are your upper control arms but we can't see worn ball joints, leaking struts, or slightly cracked bushings ready to give out from your pics.
You should have your ball joints checked too, for the compression rods, spindle, tie rods, and end links. My car looked similar when I picked it up with 115k and by 120k I had done shocks, struts, end links, ball joints, inner/outer tie rods, 1 compression rod (now the other is making noise), poly compression rod bushings, steering rack bushings, F/R sway bar bushings, F/R end links, upper control arms, poly bushings in lower control arms.... By 130k it was engine mounts, rear differential bushings, etc. Does yours make noise over bumps? Mine was clunking like crazy hence the parts cannon... Now it's silent, since everything is brand new xD
Danny doesn't mention the mileage on his G but I can guarantee anything over 60K miles if they're leaking or not he's having a bouncy ride shocks need replacing! With only 73K miles my coupe she has had new Koni shocks and various bushings replaced. I'd rather keep up with what makes a great ride now rather than waiting until everything needs replacing costing K of $$!
Gary

Old 08-30-2018, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Gary you replaced those really early haha.

You are lowered though.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Gary you replaced those really early haha. You are lowered though.
Ever since I sold my '92 Nissan 300ZXTT I've tried to make SLICK corner like the Z and all I got was close! Started with Stillen sways, then adjustable end links (two sets) followed by Tokico D Spec Shocks which was around 30K miles. The Tokico's failed after 40K miles and were replaced with Koni's which I still haven't been able to adjust to my satisfaction! Going to make a appointment with my tuner at Specialty Z and have Seb go thru the entire suspension! Wife won't let me buy a new Vet so "Screw It" I'll spend $$ on SLICK!
Gary

Old 09-07-2018, 02:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
INFINITI G35 Coupe 6MT w/Brembo's
Thank you all for your insight
Forgot to mention the mileage, my bad, its at 141k Replaced both my lower control arms a couple days ago and definitely notice a difference. It seems like failed bushings on these cars are quite common. Looking at the ball joints, they seemed to be alright with no noticeable kinks or anything. They moved freely with ease. End links seemed okay.
I'm considering replacing all four struts/shocks so if anyone has a guide for that could you link that for me please?

Old 09-07-2018, 04:30 PM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
Ball joints wear out and get loose, eventually getting so loose they clunk around in their housings, meaning they will eventually fail under load. If your BJ is easy to move by hand even with the rubber boot holding it to center, your joints are pretty worn. New ball joints are hard to move by hand. Same with the end link ball joints.

Your end links could be fine but they are the most common source of clunking on these cars and are easy to replace with cheap Moog parts which are stronger and more durable than the originals with their greasable joints.

shocks/struts are pretty easy, you should be able to find DIY tutorials for the G using google and youtube. Undo bottom bolt, undo top bolts, remove strut, remove springs from old struts, install on new ones, reinstall parts. The hardest/dangerous part is using the spring compressor (rent at parts store) to compress the spring so you can get it off/install a new one. If you're planning on doing a proper job on a daily you'll also need to buy boots for both struts, as well as the rubber top mounts for both the struts and shocks, else you'll risk having to pull it all apart again to replace a squeaking bit of rubber. If it's a fair weather toy you could skip all that stuff and just know they won't last as long if you drive it in bad weather/snow.

Last edited by cswlightning; 09-07-2018 at 04:36 PM.