G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07-14/)
-   -   Rattling catalytic heat shield advice (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/464695-rattling-catalytic-heat-shield-advice.html)

BIG6 09-11-2018 03:38 PM

Rattling catalytic heat shield advice

my pass side catalytic heat shield is rusty and rattling my sanity away. i couldn't find a replacement, would it if be fine to get rid of? or would it emit too much heat in to the car? i'd really like to just rip it off and go on with my life.

MooseLucifer 09-11-2018 04:00 PM

I asked Tony from Motordyne the same thing a while back and he advised against it. Why not figure out what it's rattling against? It's fairly thin so you can probably bend it out of the way with your hands.

gary c 09-11-2018 07:06 PM

Glad my club sponsor was Magic Muffler growing up!

I'll attempt to be nice with my answer to this issue! The shield is there for a reason other wise they wouldn't have wasted the $$ to include it! Somewhere in every neighborhood is a muffler shop, find yours and have them weld the cover to stop the rattle! It's not rocket science, just logic! :OHBOY:
Gary

MikeG35Coupe 09-12-2018 04:08 PM

I'm not sure if you're referring to the shields on the cats themselves, but mine were rusting a bit and rattling. I cut them off last year and so far no issues.

MooseLucifer 09-12-2018 05:01 PM

If it's the heat shields on the cats, get some big hose clamps and wrap them around in a couple different places - I did the same thing to my cats until I could install ART pipes.

BIG6 09-13-2018 10:03 AM

thanks guys, think im gonna do the big hose clamps for now, i too will be installing aftermarket pipes on mine in the near future

gary c 09-13-2018 05:47 PM

Posted MICKEY MOUSE FIX at first but no one would have a clue what I posted!

Originally Posted by BIG6 (Post 7149684)
thanks guys, think im gonna do the BIG HOSE CLAMPS for now, i too will be installing aftermarket pipes on mine in the near future

"GHETTO FIX!" What are you going to do when you break a exhaust hanger...wire clothes hanger? :LMAO2: Might cost you $5 to have a muffler shop do the job right!
Gary

MooseLucifer 09-13-2018 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by gary c (Post 7149730)
"GHETTO FIX!" What are you going to do when you break a exhaust hanger...wire clothes hanger? :LMAO2: Might cost you $5 to have a muffler shop do the job right!
Gary

Some of us like to solve the problem ourselves, not pay our way out of them :P JK

Series though, the one time I went to a muffler shop to have a leak inspected (when I was young and dumb) they bent me over the barrel and had their way with me, ended up paying ~$700 for a fully welded together trainwreck of a 'custom' exhaust.

God damn I was dumb.

onevq35de 09-13-2018 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by gary c (Post 7149730)
Gary

Give a shop $5 for anything and in return you'll receive a kick to the nutz. A stainless steel hose clamp is a fantastic way to deal with the issue. It's easy, cheap, quick and permanent. Infiniti did this on my FX many moons ago while under warranty.
Removing the heat shields is fine as well, though the floor boards will get a little warmer. The best solution is to make heat shields, wrapping only 1/2 of the cat conv., the 1/2 that radiates heat to the floor boards and transmission. Bonus is this will also help with exhaust scavenging buy keeping the cats a little hotter.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/g35driv...c009775f79.jpg

Urbanengineer 09-14-2018 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by onevq35de
Give a shop $5 for anything and in return you'll receive a kick to the nutz. A stainless steel hose clamp is a fantastic way to deal with the issue. It's easy, cheap, quick and permanent. Infiniti did this on my FX many moons ago while under warranty.
Removing the heat shields is fine as well, though the floor boards will get a little warmer. The best solution is to make heat shields, wrapping only 1/2 of the cat conv., the 1/2 that radiates heat to the floor boards and transmission. Bonus is this will also help with exhaust scavenging buy keeping the cats a little hotter.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/g35driv...c009775f79.jpg

Neat idea!

onevq35de 09-14-2018 09:07 AM

Thanks. It's DEI form a shield and their wrap ties holding it on. I don't care for the ties, even the header wrap ties that came with the tomei headers. If I have any trouble with any of them, I'll gladly replace'em with s.s. hose clamps.

gary c 09-14-2018 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by g356sp (Post 7149739)
Some of us like to solve the problem ourselves, not pay our way out of them :P JSeries though, the one time I went to a muffler shop to have a leak inspected (when I was young and dumb) they bent me over the barrel and had their way with me, ended up paying ~$700 for a fully welded together trainwreck of a 'custom' exhaust.
God damn I was dumb.

The issue here was a converter cover making noise with the possibility of removing it! You don't want to remove it, there's a possibility of causing fires! The right way to fix the converter is to have it spot welded. It would take longer to put your car on the rack than for them to weld the cover! Clamps are a half azz way to fix anything, if that's how your solve problems...Good Luck!
Gary

Urbanengineer 09-14-2018 09:57 AM

Gary you clearly don't live in an area where salt destroys everything metal. It wouldn't last.

onevq35de 09-14-2018 10:27 AM

Everyone's got their own opinion about everything which is perfectly fine. :11:
The fancy ties that I got from DEI and the one's that came with the really nice wrap that came with the Tomei headers, those are basically stainless steel worm drive clamps without the worm drive.
I've sure there's a reason why companies producing exhaust wrap ties chose to make them a pita to install. I can think of one reason. They're open-ended on one side whereas hose clamps are connected. Hose clamps can be disconnected from the worm drive but then can be a pita to get the end back into the mechanism that is the worm drive clamp. I MUCH prefer hose clamps and the more I write about'em, the more I wish I tossed the ties and used them from the start. :banghead:
Spot welding is what gets sooo many heat shields on sooo many makes and models of auto's give & rattle. It's good business. Call it Planned Obsolescence. :9:

MikeG35Coupe 09-14-2018 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Urbanengineer (Post 7149794)
Gary you clearly don't live in an area where salt destroys everything metal. It wouldn't last.

Exactly. Mine weren't just loose, but coming apart in pieces. They probably weren't providing much heat shielding anyway, so I just got rid of them.

I like what onevg35de had done to his FX.