G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

loosing oil ,no smoking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 03:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
loosing oil ,no black smoke

So I recently bought a g35 coupe when I changed the oil pretty much nothing came out.since then I've kept it above the low line on the oil dipstick but it seems if I try to get to high my oil jumps down the middle to low half of the dipstick. Any thoughts about why. It came with a vented catch can which is strangely always empty, I seem to be losing 1qt in 100 miles but again i dont know where oil is going because I don't see smoke. Also, I get 12mpg and I don't know if the oil is causing this

Last edited by Sean McCants; 12-03-2018 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:56 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by Sean McCants
So I recently bought a g35 coupe when I changed the oil pretty much nothing came out.since then I've kept it above the low line on the oil dipstick but it seems if I try to get to high my oil jumps down the middle to low half of the dipstick.
Not sure what smoking a blunt has to do with the oil in your motor haha. However if you've done any significant reading here or on the internet you'll know that our motors are very prone to oil consumption. The rings Nissan used are crap, the problem is more pronounced in the 05/06 6MT sedans and coupes and in the 07 coupes. BUT a lot of the 5AT models of the same years also had it and it gets worse as you rack up the miles. Catch cans catch very little blow by so don't expect to see any significant accumulation even with a vented can. And with the OC issue you'll never see smoke coming out of the rear unless it's really bad.

I'd recommend getting a proper oil change ASAP and checking the oil every week for a while to see exactly how much you're losing. Also get the car on a lift or jack stands and go over the motor from top to bottom and see if it's leaking oil anywhere. One last thing, pull each spark plug and check to see if you have an accumulation of oil in any of the 6 spark plug wells. If you do have any oil in them your valve cover seals are going bad and leaking oil which means you'll probably need to replace the valve covers. GL and keep us posted on what's going on.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:51 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Not sure what smoking a blunt has to do with the oil in your motor haha. However if you've done any significant reading here or on the internet you'll know that our motors are very prone to oil consumption. The rings Nissan used are crap, the problem is more pronounced in the 05/06 6MT sedans and coupes and in the 07 coupes. BUT a lot of the 5AT models of the same years also had it and it gets worse as you rack up the miles. Catch cans catch very little blow by so don't expect to see any significant accumulation even with a vented can. And with the OC issue you'll never see smoke coming out of the rear unless it's really bad.

I'd recommend getting a proper oil change ASAP and checking the oil every week for a while to see exactly how much you're losing. Also get the car on a lift or jack stands and go over the motor from top to bottom and see if it's leaking oil anywhere. One last thing, pull each spark plug and check to see if you have an accumulation of oil in any of the 6 spark plug wells. If you do have any oil in them your valve cover seals are going bad and leaking oil which means you'll probably need to replace the valve covers. GL and keep us posted on what's going on.
You'll never get any better advice than what you're reading here! ^^^^ Also check your PCV, clean it with Carb cleaner and shake it until it rattles then clean and reinstall! If it is defective (dirty and never been cleaned) it might cause some of your issues!
Gary

The following 2 users liked this post by gary c:
GraysG35 (11-25-2018), Sean McCants (11-23-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 04:14 AM
Originally Posted by gary c
You'll never get any better advice than what you're reading here! ^^^^ Also check your PCV, clean it with Carb cleaner and shake it until it rattles then clean and reinstall! If it is defective (dirty and never been cleaned) it might cause some of your issues!
Gary
first of all thanks for your help I took my pcv valve out and it seems like it’s just a tube,There’s no mechanism that allows air to only go 1 way,i also think my catch can is leaking so I’ll be fixing that soon.Do you think I should buy a pcv valve and does a leaking catch can hurt something

Old 11-28-2018, 04:15 AM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream

thank you,I plan to check my spark plugs sometime this week I’ll let you know what I find

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (11-28-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 04:07 AM
I’ve checked my spark plugs all have a yellowish glaze on the part where the spark comes out and oil on the threading not sure if that’s cause for the valve cover replacement I’m not getting any codes so it’s not too bad

after doing some research I’ve learned that what I thought was a bad pcv valve is just some kind of aftermarket thing should I keep that one (it’s just open so air goes both ways) or should I replace with a real one

What’s the best way for the catch can to be connected I have a catch can with a breather connected to the PCV, and another end connected to a hose by the throttle body

also, I guess I do have smoking it looks like this
am I ****ed? I’m losing coolant but there’s none in the oil. should I take it to a mechanic?

Thanks to anybody who helps

Old 12-03-2018, 07:36 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
2 things concern me that need to be addressed. First of all find out where the coolant is going. It's a sealed system like the AC and for it to be missing it has to be leaking somewhere. Do a pressure test first to see if you can find any external leaks, this is a critical diagnostic test. If you have none then it must be leaking internally which will cause a mixing with oil and eventually an engine rebuild. The most likely cause of this issue would be a failing head gasket. Second what's on the ground under the exhaust tips? If it's just water condensation that's totally fine but if it's oily you're probably screwed. Sorry to be so blunt but that's the reality of the situation.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:27 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
stock G35 coupe
Originally Posted by Sean McCants
I’ve checked my spark plugs all have a yellowish glaze on the part where the spark comes out and oil on the threading not sure if that’s cause for the valve cover replacement I’m not getting any codes so it’s not too bad

after doing some research I’ve learned that what I thought was a bad pcv valve is just some kind of aftermarket thing should I keep that one (it’s just open so air goes both ways) or should I replace with a real one

What’s the best way for the catch can to be connected I have a catch can with a breather connected to the PCV, and another end connected to a hose by the throttle body

also, I guess I do have smoking it looks like this https://youtu.be/23DKPgFj0bg am I ****ed? I’m losing coolant but there’s none in the oil. should I take it to a mechanic?

Thanks to anybody who helps

How many miles are on the car? When you removed the coils from the spark plug wells did you see any oil inside the well around the spark plug? If no, your spark plug well seals are fine so no issues there, you will typically have a smidge of oil on the threads when removing the spark plug from the head (pretty common) but if it lots of oil like dripping off the plug then you have a problem. As far as the electrode is concerned, a yellowish brown color is normal. When is the last time the coolant system has been flushed and coolant replaced? Do a pressure check for leaks on the coolant system, the overflow canister could be dry rotted and cracked, pin holes in the radiator, leaking hose under pressure and you may not see the actual coolant leaking while you are driving and its either getting on the exhaust and getting evaporated or something along those lines. Also could have a failing head gasket and the the coolant could be getting out via exhaust as well, check the oil to see if its milky. Most radiator shops can do a pressure test for a small fee and it would be worth it to know where the leak is and hopefully it is not a major issue. GL and keep us posted.