G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07-14/)
-   -   High Pitched Whistle/Whine in Cold (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/465331-high-pitched-whistle-whine-cold.html)

scjp003 11-29-2018 12:37 AM

High Pitched Whistle/Whine in Cold

Hi yall i have a 2003 6MT Coupe(89k) and have had an issue where my car whistles from the engine bay area when it is cold outside, like under 30 degrees, this problem is minor without the heat on, but when the heat is on it will whistle for a few minutes at startup and while accelerating it gets louder, before stopping when the engine has warmed up. Also this problem is a little noticeable occasionally when turning. While the high pitched noise is present, i can pull it into neutral and the noise will go away. I have looked around but cant find another thread with the same problem, if someone knows, could you link it? I was thinking it may have to do with the ac compressor belt or tensioner but then maybe the power steering belt or tensioner because of the noise popping up when turning sometimes.Interested in thought, thank you!

GraysG35 11-29-2018 01:38 AM

Have you had the hood up and had someone crank the car when it is cold to see if you can better locate the sound? When is the last time the belts have been replaced, if ever? Have you checked for any play on the pulley's and the tensioner pulley's? Belts on the G are relatively easy to replace, and even better if replaced with factory belts. Check your adjusting bolts on for the belts and replace if necessary as they are pretty inexpensive. Not saying the noise is coming from the belts, but if the belts are an issue I would recommend replacing both since you have to remove the front belt to get to the rear anyway. Also, while the car is in gear, if you leave it in gear and simply push the clutch in does the noise go away or can you still hear it?

scjp003 11-29-2018 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by GraysG35 (Post 7156283)
Have you had the hood up and had someone crank the car when it is cold to see if you can better locate the sound? When is the last time the belts have been replaced, if ever? Have you checked for any play on the pulley's and the tensioner pulley's? Belts on the G are relatively easy to replace, and even better if replaced with factory belts. Check your adjusting bolts on for the belts and replace if necessary as they are pretty inexpensive. Not saying the noise is coming from the belts, but if the belts are an issue I would recommend replacing both since you have to remove the front belt to get to the rear anyway. Also, while the car is in gear, if you leave it in gear and simply push the clutch in does the noise go away or can you still hear it?

belts and tensioners were all replcaed about 3 months ago, but i will test out tomorrow, thanks for your input!

GraysG35 11-29-2018 01:56 AM

No problem. If they were replaced only 3 months ago check the tension on the belts themselves, they probably have stretched a little and are in need of adjustment. I say this because I had belt squeal on my belts last week upon cold start up, checked them and they were a little loose, tightened them up Saturday and all is well.

onevq35de 11-29-2018 11:29 PM

I've had noise from my a/c clutch/pulley for a little bit. An annoying sound. I sprayed some wd40 and it went away but came back. Guess I'll need to replace that but not worried about it till summer 2019.
I also had recently developed a whistle of sorts. I could only hear it upon acceleration and it sounded like it was coming from underneath and up front, driver side.
To rectify what I new was a noisy a/c clutch I just removed the belt. No more noise from the a/c compressor, this odd whistling sound went away AND the idle is a little more steady from 700 to 725 whereas previously it would dip into the 675 range.