G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Fender Edge/Lip Rust Repair Options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 01:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
04 G35 Coupe Black Obsidian 6MT / Brembo Brake Package
Fender Edge/Lip Rust Repair Options?

Hello all! I am seeking advice on how to go about fixing some rust around my fenders. Autobody shops are quoting me in the $2-4K and being a college student thats just not possible (until I graduate in May) So what is the best way to fix some of this rust temporarily? sanding and painting with POR-15? coating it in a rust preventer and attaching one of those universal fender arch covers? Here are some pictures of what I am dealing with...

Any help would be much appreciated... Thank You!

PASSENGER SIDE FENDER RUST BELOW

Passenger Side Rust

Passenger Side Rust

Passenger Side Rust
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________________________

DRIVER SIDE RUST (THE BAD SIDE)

Driver Side Rust

Driver Side Rust

Driver Side Rust

Driver Side Rust

Driver Side Rust

Driver Side Rust

Old 01-18-2019, 04:13 PM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
Both sides are really far gone, probably the same or worse than mine was. Check out this thread: https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...ould-i-do.html
and its continuation: https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...s-sedan-2.html

If you haven't recently dumped a bunch of money into your car like I did, that has parts car written all over it, especially with the 6MT and Brembos.

If you really wanna get it "repaired" a combination of a fiberglass/bondo job, POR15 coating, and adding fender flares to cover it all up should do the job for the lowest cost, but you'll have to either really search to find somebody desperate enough to do it (even then it'll be close to $1000 or more) or do it yourself which is a LOT of work grinding and sanding.

Old 01-19-2019, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by cswlightning
Both sides are really far gone, probably the same or worse than mine was. Check out this thread: https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...ould-i-do.html
and its continuation: https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...s-sedan-2.html

If you haven't recently dumped a bunch of money into your car like I did, that has parts car written all over it, especially with the 6MT and Brembos.

If you really wanna get it "repaired" a combination of a fiberglass/bondo job, POR15 coating, and adding fender flares to cover it all up should do the job for the lowest cost, but you'll have to either really search to find somebody desperate enough to do it (even then it'll be close to $1000 or more) or do it yourself which is a LOT of work grinding and sanding.
I've been searching for days. I have not dumped a bunch of money but I am about to dump a bunch of money on textbooks for this semester.... thank god I graduate in May from nursing school.... I was more hoping for this to be a do it yourself. The other difficulty is finding fender flares that aren't ridiculously wide.... the only ones I find are for the 350z which are NISMO style that look like they fit.

I was thinking of sanding and grinding myself touching up and throwing on the fender flares. However, I should probably cover those holes its going to be a fun spring break and a lot of adderall

Old 01-20-2019, 04:24 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I’m in the same boat as you lol I was going for the flare route as well and even dumped out $200 for some flares but as I thought about it and as @cswlightning said doing this will would be worse if you don’t rust prevent it.I thought about and I realized if I cut my stock fenders out and add some flares I wouldn’t be able to sell it down the road if I would want to.Would you buy a car with a hole in the quarter panel? I don’t think so.Thats why I’m considering going with attacking the rust not by me,but from a shop.Luckily the shop is charging me $1600 to paint and roll along with attacking the rust on both sides which is a good deal in my area (Illinois).But honestly like @cswlightning said if you haven’t dumped that much money on it I would sell it ASAP and buy a clean body.I already have spent about $7k on maintenance and modifications and about to drop another $1k to fix the rust soooo yea ik I’m dumb but I’ll be damn to sell the car for 3-4K just for another person to enjoy all the work I put in on my car lol Sorry for the long paragraph good luck 👍😎

Old 01-20-2019, 07:23 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
That's not just rust, looks like damage that was neglected that has turned into rust! Why spend your $$ on fixing or adding to this car, drive it until you graduate! Once you get a job then you can sell it for parts and buy something you'll enjoying! Gary

Old 01-20-2019, 08:32 PM
I agree with Gary, $1600 in cosmetic repairs to a car worth 3/4k isn't good news. I think the fender flares would be about the same as rust where resale is concerned, but it looks cleaner on a car used as a driver, which is what you guys want right? I know that's what I wanted.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:53 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
How about one more option? Contact Automotive touch up for matching paint 1-800-710-5192 then you can spray paint those rusted areas once you've sanded as much as possible to remove the rust! (or use Rust-Be-Gone) Google It won't be a perfect job but you won't be driving what looks like a total rust bucket, better idea than flares!
Gary

Last edited by gary c; 01-21-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:40 PM
If you're going to do that you might as well just pack bondo into the rust holes xD

I like the flares so much because it's an easy DIY job and if you do a proper job you can stop the rust 100 percent.

If you came into more money down the road or wanted to sell the car later you could always take the flares off and do a bondo repair later, since the rust won't grow assuming you cut it out and coat with por15. It'll cost less since the prep work of cutting the rust out is done.

There's a member on here Conissah or smth who did a really clean fender flare rust fix. You could probably PM him questions.

Last edited by cswlightning; 01-21-2019 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:20 AM
If you're going to do that you might as well just pack bondo into the rust holes xD

I like the flares so much because it's an easy DIY job and if you do a proper job you can stop the rust 100 percent.

If you came into more money down the road or wanted to sell the car later you could always take the flares off and do a bondo repair later, since the rust won't grow assuming you cut it out and coat with por15. It'll cost less since the prep work of cutting the rust out is done.

There's a member on here Conissah or smth who did a really clean fender flare rust fix. You could probably PM him questions.
I’ve been watching ChrisFix’s video on the rust repair
(this one) I might do something like that, really grind out the rust, spray a rust converter, patch it, fill it in, sand it and paint it, and then I can add the flares (I bought them) the hardest thing / most expensive is finding the paint... I don’t know how I feel about the “DupliColor Perfect Match” also should the primer be a black primer as well?

Old 01-25-2019, 10:44 AM
That's the tutorial I tried to follow. He makes it look quick and easy but removing rust, sculpting bondo, and just hitting it with plastidip took me probably 4 or 5 full days of work on my car. It's still not good enough to warrant real paint.
Duplicolor is fine for this kind of repair which is going to rust out again in all likelihood.

Last edited by cswlightning; 01-25-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:24 PM
That's the tutorial I tried to follow. He makes it look quick and easy but removing rust, sculpting bondo, and just hitting it with plastidip took me probably 4 or 5 full days of work on my car. It's still not good enough to warrant real paint.
Duplicolor is fine for this kind of repair which is going to rust out again in all likelihood.
thats why I picked up the Nismo style fender flares, they're more like a lip than an actual flare. Going to be a fun project over Spring Break.... I heard NAPA does a very nice job of matching paint, I might get a can or two of those to paint the flares, and use duplicolor for the rust spots.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:25 PM
If you use POR15 over the parts that are rusty and hidden by the flares or side skirts, the rust will be stopped forever.