G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07-14/)
-   -   Water trapped in spoiler and other misc. oddities with my new G... (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/466479-water-trapped-spoiler-other-misc-oddities-my-new-g.html)

SeedyROM 04-17-2019 11:17 PM

Water trapped in spoiler and other misc. oddities with my new G...

So I'm a few months into owning my '05 Coupe and I'm loving it, though there's a few things that I'm curious about. Some are issues but some may not be, so any input is appreciated.

1) Most important is I've noticed there's water trapped in my spoiler somehow. It hasn't rained for a few weeks but even now when I open the trunk I can hear sloshing around in there. Is this common and/or is there an easy way to get it out?

2) Is it normal for the trunk lid to be a bit hard to lift at first before the shocks take over? They aren't expensive to replace but before I spend the money I'm curious if this is normal.

3) Even with only 57k miles I've got the door hinge issue on my G, with them barely staying open and constantly closing on my legs. Is replacing these worth it or will new hardware have the same issue? Perhaps another trick?

4) Last but not least is manual/tiptronic shifting. It seems as if 1st -> 2nd is sluggish in comparison to 2nd -> 3rd. It even seems slower in manual mode than it does in automatic, where 1st -> 2nd is instantaneous. Tranny service has been done, no codes and low miles so I'm hoping this is just normal behavior and not a sign of an issue.

All told, these are pretty minor issues but if anyone has any advice on what to do about them I'd greatly appreciate it!

cswlightning 04-18-2019 09:52 AM

The water is weird, seems like even if it got in somehow it would drain out when you open the trunk... I would take out the trunk liner and drill drainage holes myself, but are you sure it's water and not just loose hardware inside the panel

Every G coupes doors autoclose, if it really bothers you lower the front a tiny bit more than the rear or take out the spare tire

Idk about the auto, but it's a 15 year old automatic so it's gonna feel slow compared to newer cars. Look up transgo shift kit.

SeedyROM 04-18-2019 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by cswlightning (Post 7166095)
The water is weird, seems like even if it got in somehow it would drain out when you open the trunk... I would take out the trunk liner and drill drainage holes myself, but are you sure it's water and not just loose hardware inside the panel

Every G coupes doors autoclose, if it really bothers you lower the front a tiny bit more than the rear or take out the spare tire

Idk about the auto, but it's a 15 year old automatic so it's gonna feel slow compared to newer cars. Look up transgo shift kit.

Awesome, appreciate the insight. I kinda figured on the doors/shifting they were just things I'd have to live with and I think the shifting isn't really an issue, just a very minor thing between the gears. I'll look into that kit though, thanks!

As for the water, it's very strange. Doesn't sounds like hardware and the sounds gets less and less the further away we get from the recent rains, like it's slowly evaporating. I guess as long as it disappears I wont worry too much!

JZ39 04-27-2019 06:25 AM

Replacing the door stays is very easy and cheap. I did mine last year and it was a huge improvement. You can pick them up for like 30$ a piece oem (or cheaper). The alternative solution provided above is a head scratcher to say the least...

For the tranny, I would just suggest to service the fluid - not much else you can do.

Water in the spoiler is interesting... I wonder how it can even get in there in that amount. Do you see an entry route?

SeedyROM 04-27-2019 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by JZ39 (Post 7166743)
Replacing the door stays is very easy and cheap. I did mine last year and it was a huge improvement. You can pick them up for like 30$ a piece oem (or cheaper). The alternative solution provided above is a head scratcher to say the least...

For the tranny, I would just suggest to service the fluid - not much else you can do.

Water in the spoiler is interesting... I wonder how it can even get in there in that amount. Do you see an entry route?

Thanks for the feedback, especially on the doors! I hadn't had the term correct but when I searched "stays" I found a replacement article and you're right, looks pretty cheap and easy, even if it only buys me a few years until they wear again. The transmission does seem better after a service, in manual mode it's as crisp 1st->2nd as it is 2nd->3rd.

As for the spoiler, I'm not entirely sure but I think it has to do with water that pools at the bottom of the hatch. There's just a small amount that doesn't roll off the side and I think it might be seeping in there as the water has a chance to sit when parked. Next time we have ran I'll get some more data and report back.