G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07-14/)
-   -   AutoWeek - Skyline GTR to be Badged as Nissan, Not Infiniti (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/46658-autoweek-skyline-gtr-badged-nissan-not-infiniti.html)

what2do 03-07-2005 11:58 PM

"lower" in terms of performance but better fuel economy and adds more lurxuy features on the new G.

BTW isn't Z is faster than the G35?

Alonjar 03-08-2005 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by what2do
BTW isn't Z is faster than the G35?

Eh, not really. For all intents and purposes, they have the exact same driveline. The G is a bit heavier, thats the only factor.

xswl0931 03-08-2005 02:15 AM

That weight is a big factor. The Z also dyno's better than the G. Even though the Z may be (slightly) faster than the G, I'm still much happier with my G.

636Racer 03-08-2005 08:26 PM

I like the idea, now if I invested in the GTR, I dont have to spend money to rebadge it JDM style y0! :D

avs007 03-08-2005 08:35 PM

Nissan trying to sell a car for 50-60k, is as stupid as VW trying to sell the phateon for 70k, oh wait....

Sure, Nissan and Infiniti are the same company, but each brand has it's own image associated with it. (At least here in the states)

Louis Vuitton owns the DKNY brand, but I think DKNY would be hard pressed to sell a Suhali purse. A Louis Vuitton Suhali purse will run you between $2,000 to $3,500+. I know, becuase my wife is a freak when it comes to Luois Vuitton. A typical DKNY purse will run you < $300.

For Nissan to sell the GTR as a Nissan, and the 350GT as a Skyline, would be like LV to sell the monogram/epi version of a purse as an LV, but the more expensive suhali version of the same purse as a DKNY.

How is the Infiniti version more luxurious? I thought the only difference between the G35 and 350GT was the analogue clock? Besides, didn't one of our Japanese brothers, show us that his Skyline 350GT has suede inserts on his seats, which is unavailable on our G35's?

Or for those that don't care for purses... It would be like Mercedes making an SLK350 roadster, then marketing the SLK55 AMG version under a Dodge/Chrysler brand, instead of Mercedes/AMG brand.

mrb 03-08-2005 08:49 PM

I say whatever brings the cheaper price for the car. Most of the potential buyers for that car at this stage, are the sport compact car crowd that have lusted after it for almost a decade. It's a high performance vehicle, and most of the potential owners, at this stage, are worried about performance, not of the friggin "image". Who cares if it's a Nissan? I sure don't. I'm interested in the numbers, 400 + HP, AWD, Lotus steering/suspension, bring it!

The ones complaining about it being a Nissan instead of an Infinity are the nose in the air types that think Nissan is beneath them. I hope they do badge it as a Nissan just to piss you off!

Pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon? :D

Potty_Pants 03-08-2005 09:00 PM

Tis a potential shame...

my local nissan dealership (admiral nissan) believe they are "too sexy for their sales" hence you pay sticker and no test drive... since they sell soo quickly.

BLOW ME.

it would be a shame if nissan chose to sell the skyline... id either be forced to buy elsewhere or purchase another manufacturer. after experienceing the enhanced customer care (pre & post sales) from Infiniti, there is no way Id drop a notch to go nissan.

ppp

weaksauce 03-08-2005 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by avs007
Or for those that don't care for purses... It would be like Mercedes making an SLK350 roadster, then marketing the SLK55 AMG version under a Dodge/Chrysler brand, instead of Mercedes/AMG brand.

---

whoa, i am of the complete oppsite opinion. i feel that this analogy is flawed because in this analogy, the slk 350 started as a mbz and the slk55 went to a different brand (dodge). in the gtr case, it started as a nissan and ppl want it to go to a differnt brand (infiniti). i feel that the skyline gtr is a LEGEND and should keep its company's namesake.

i think nissan changing the gtr to infiniti would be the opposite analogy. lets say ford made an upper scale, luxury car brand. lets call this theortical brand lincoln (j/k :D ) ok, now lets say they brand the Ford GT a Lincoln GT. or the supra is all of a suden a lexus supra. not cool, in my opinion. leave the legends as they stand.

avs007 03-08-2005 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by mrb
I say whatever brings the cheaper price for the car. Most of the potential buyers for that car at this stage, are the sport compact car crowd that have lusted after it for almost a decade. It's a high performance vehicle, and most of the potential owners, at this stage, are worried about performance, not of the friggin "image". Who cares if it's a Nissan? I sure don't. I'm interested in the numbers, 400 + HP, AWD, Lotus steering/suspension, bring it!

When I was younger, most of the people I knew that had lusted after the R34 GT-R drove integras and civics. If the car were to come out right now, I doubt all these people would be able to afford to ditch their current rides, for the GT-R.

Nissan needs to cover a broader market, if it wants to be recoup the costs back. Look what happened to the Supra, when it's price went past 50k.

The ones complaining about it being a Nissan instead of an Infinity are the nose in the air types that think Nissan is beneath them. I hope they do badge it as a Nissan just to piss you off!
It has nothing to do with being stuck up. Nissan has spent money building the Infiniti brand, and the image associated with it. Same goes for Toyota and Lexus, etc. For them to come out with a "supercar" and not badge it as Lexus/Infiniti, would basically mean all the resources they spent to BUILD THE IMAGE in the first place was a waste.

If Nissan starts building higher model cars than Infiniti, (GT-R vs 350GT), and then use the excuse that they can sell it for cheaper, then that undermines the entire Infiniti brand, as people would then question the reason for paying extra for the other Infiniti cars. GM used to get this kind of flack all the time in the past.

This is not about being stuck up. It's about protecting your investement/business models.

Nissan has even spent resources, to offer the Infiniti brand outside of the North American market, just like Toyota did with Lexus.

There is a reason the next Toyota supercar, is being badged as a Lexus....

weaksauce 03-08-2005 09:08 PM

When I was younger, most of the people I knew that had lusted after the R34 GT-R drove integras and civics. If the car were to come out right now, I doubt all these people would be able to afford to ditch their current rides, for the GT-R.

----

sorry avs...dont want to start a flame war.. :cool: i do think tho that the kids that wanted a gtr in like 91 (me) are now 30+, have started to make some $, and can now get what they were once denied....

avs007 03-08-2005 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by weaksauce
---
lets say ford made an upper scale, luxury car brand. lets call this theortical brand lincoln (j/k :D ) ok, now lets say they brand the Ford GT a Lincoln GT. or the supra is all of a suden a lexus supra. not cool, in my opinion. leave the legends as they stand.

Normally I would agree with that statement. However, the Ford GT is not offered on any other ford brands in any shape or form, so alone it stands.

The Skyline 350GT however, is already offered as an Infiniti. Since it's already offered as an Infiniti, you should make the top of the line model an Infiniti as well.

Also, the Infiniti brand was not marketed in Japan when the R34 Skyline was made. Besides, the Skyline wasn't always a Nissan. It used to be a Prince. So there is already precidence for a brand transition ;)

weaksauce 03-08-2005 09:14 PM

Also, the Infiniti brand was not marketed in Japan when the R34 Skyline was made. Besides, the Skyline wasn't always a Nissan. It used to be a Prince. So there is already precidence for a brand transition ;)

ah crap, you got me there! :cool: i still dont agree with you tho bro! :D at least we can agree to disagree and not get angry about it!!!

avs007 03-08-2005 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by weaksauce
----

sorry avs...dont want to start a flame war.. :cool: i do think tho that the kids that wanted a gtr in like 91 (me) are now 30+, have started to make some $, and can now get what they were once denied....

Yes, I know that. I'm part of that group. I'm just saying that it seems that the whole GT-R thing has always been a "legendary" thing that most kids just "dreamed" about. (At least here) The earlier article was talking about customer base. I was just saying that it makes more business sense if you try and capture a larger market base.

If they branded it an Infiniti, they could probably roll in a bunch of other people to buy the car, that wouldn't otherwise have gotten it, if it were branded as a Nissan.

I would think that once in that price segment, that brand image/appeal becomes more relevant to potential customers. Sure, we can understand, because we actually know what a GTR is and as. But the typical joe, could just see an Infiniti G35, and get confused as to why there is a Nissan brand car that looks just like it, but appears to be higher end.

But yeah, whatever... I just want the damn thing to get here already, no matter what the heck they call it :D

mrb 03-08-2005 10:38 PM

Nissan needs to cover a broader market, if it wants to be recoup the costs back. Look what happened to the Supra, when it's price went past 50k.

It has nothing to do with being stuck up. Nissan has spent money building the Infiniti brand, and the image associated with it. Same goes for Toyota and Lexus, etc. For them to come out with a "supercar" and not badge it as Lexus/Infiniti, would basically mean all the resources they spent to BUILD THE IMAGE in the first place was a waste.

If Nissan starts building higher model cars than Infiniti, (GT-R vs 350GT), and then use the excuse that they can sell it for cheaper, then that undermines the entire Infiniti brand, as people would then question the reason for paying extra for the other Infiniti cars. GM used to get this kind of flack all the time in the past.

This is not about being stuck up. It's about protecting your investement/business models.

Nissan has even spent resources, to offer the Infiniti brand outside of the North American market, just like Toyota did with Lexus.

There is a reason the next Toyota supercar, is being badged as a Lexus....

I think it's all a waste IMHO. You drive a Honda but it says 'Acura' and you feel more special, you drive a Toyota that says 'Lexus' on it and you feel much better. Elsewhere in the world, a NSX is a Honda NSX. I mean if the G35 coupe had Nissan badging but was the same car, same interior, wouldn't make any difference to me, it's a damn Nissan either way.

I understand market segmentation very well, I just think it's stupid. But obviously, it works to a certain degree. Many people want to distance themselves from the "lesser" brand when the same mfr. makes both :confused: Just makes me laugh, as I've read a lot crying about the GTR being a Nissan, if that does indeed happen. I think the car is popular enough, that it won't matter, it will sell, especially in regards to the performance it's going to offer. You don't know how many people that drive fart piped civics are saving for this car, a lot! We'll see what happens, I won't be suprised if they offer 2 versions, one for Nissan and one for Infiniti.

Sukairain 03-08-2005 10:46 PM

I think I'll skip the GT-R and save up for the F430 in the future. Recent concept images of the GT-R have not been inspirin from a design stand point. I hope the GT-R won't be too porky.