G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07-14/)
-   -   Found amazingly clean G35 two months ago & today it might be totaled... (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/466613-found-amazingly-clean-g35-two-months-ago-today-might-totaled.html)

SeedyROM 05-04-2019 12:52 AM

Found amazingly clean G35 two months ago & today it might be totaled...

I'm trying to remain optimistic but knowing how insurance in California can be, I'm more than a bit worried. Long story short, I found an amazing '05 G35 a few months back with only 56k miles on the odometer. The exact car I wanted, the color I wanted, it hit all the checkboxes and despite being a bit of a pain to get sorted out (title issue, now resolved), I was flyin' high. The only blemishes it had (a few tiny dents) I had pulled out, fixed the ripped seat many of us have and even replaced the door hinges yesterday. It was tip top, perfect.

Today, unfortunately, that came to an end. I'd just pulled out of a spot in a parking lot and only made it about 25 feet (three spaces down) before I felt something hit me on the right. I couldn't even see what it was until I checked the rear view mirror, someone had backed into my passenger side door as I went by. Thankfully, video shows the other driver is clearly at fault. They had parked seconds before, got out, saw they were in a STAFF parking spot (clearly marked) and hopped back into the car to re-park. The driver, we assume thinking the lane was still clear, did not bother to check his mirrors or look behind (video actually shows him not looking). Unfortunately for us both, I had just entered the lane and was coming down it when WHAMMO.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/g35driv...2e4a342473.jpg

The good news is, no injuries and there's a million cameras in this lot. The down side is, it's private property and they can't just give me the video, I have to have my insurance company request it and hope they fight it rather than just settle, doing the usual California "no fault, 50/50" blame thing. Regardless, I'm FAR more concerned about the possibility of them totaling the car.

I know what you're saying, it doesn't look that bad and I should be okay, but I'm in a weird spot here with a nearly 15 year old Infiniti that doesn't have the highest blue-book value to begin with. I could see the damage coming to a number near half of "blue book" and the adjuster calling it a loss. That said, I plan to fight it and show them all the proof that this car was immaculate and finding comparables will be at the very high end of the market value. Hopefully I'll be able to persuade them and come out of it just losing my deductible. Hell, even if they do total it, the car is so clean I might just buy it back and live with a salvage...I just really hope it doesn't come to that. Ugh, I think I'm going to be sick...

cleric670 05-04-2019 01:04 AM

With a new door skin and the right body shop it can be brand new AGAIN for about $4k so if you really want to keep the car just buy it back and take it to the best shop in town for some body work.

SeedyROM 05-04-2019 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail (Post 7167249)
With a new door skin and the right body shop it can be brand new AGAIN for about $4k so if you really want to keep the car just buy it back and take it to the best shop in town for some body work.

Yeah, that seems to be the best, last resort plan if it comes down to it. I was torn deciding on the shop for the initial inspection as I've got a great body shop some friends of mine have used, but they are high-end and aren't cheap. Worried that it might make totaling the car easier if the quote came back high, I just let them choose the Mercury insurance approved shop nearby. Thankfully, they have great reviews so there's still a shot that IF they don't total it I'll get some good work done.

If they do, however, I'll be running with your idea and taking it to the shop I trust. Even if I have to spend extra out of pocket to get it done right. The last two months have been so great with this car, I'm not letting it go without a fight!

Scorpi0 05-04-2019 05:48 AM

Damn dude that phuckin sucks! Im sure a body shop can fix that for about 2K cash. Not sure if its worth it though.

SeedyROM 05-04-2019 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Scorpi0 (Post 7167257)
Damn dude that phuckin sucks! Im sure a body shop can fix that for about 2K cash. Not sure if its worth it though.

Why wouldn't it be worth it ya think?

Scorpi0 05-04-2019 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by SeedyROM (Post 7167288)

If insurance wants to total it and give u like 6.5-7K then that might be a better option.

But honestly, it looks like most of the damage is just on the door. Maybe find a whole door from a junkyard and just replace it? Might be cheaper than trying to repair that one by a body shop.

telcoman 05-04-2019 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by SeedyROM (Post 7167288)

Because it is a fifteen year old vehicle and many parts are close to end of life.
If the door opens and closes just drive it as is.:If anyone asks you about the damage just say your wife/girlfriend did it and your going to eventually fix it :)

Telcoman

SeedyROM 05-04-2019 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Scorpi0 (Post 7167289)
If insurance wants to total it and give u like 6.5-7K then that might be a better option.

But honestly, it looks like most of the damage is just on the door. Maybe find a whole door from a junkyard and just replace it? Might be cheaper than trying to repair that one by a body shop.

Ah yes, I see what you are saying. Well the good news is, the inspection shop today seemed pretty confident they could save it. I was able to buff out the damage to the rear bumper and just in front of the door and the rocker is completely untouched, so it does look contained to two panels (door/rear). With any luck I'll know more Monday when the adjuster calls, fingers crossed!

eazdaskeez 05-04-2019 10:34 PM

Good luck! And props for not just tossing the vehicle because it's 15 years old. My aunt has a acura legend with 328k on it and drives it to this day! She'll rather be buried with it than sell out lol. Never had a major repair either.

cleric670 05-04-2019 10:52 PM

I've seen unibody vehicles side impacted so hard they were definitely "beyond repair" yet the owners demanded they be fixed, and if there's one thing I've truly learned during my time turning wrenches/welding/cutting/fabrication it's that ANYTHING can be fixed. I've been a part of MAAAAANY vehicle restoration/repairs over the years, it all comes down to whether YOU want the car fixed or not, and how far you're willing to go with your sweat or by paying someone else to sweat.

Never underestimate the power of sentimental value, it's the lifeblood of nearly every classic restoration on the planet. Just because the vehicle is 15 years old doesn't mean it's ready to die.

That which doesn't kill you...

cleric670 05-04-2019 10:53 PM

However, I also have a major soft spot for the greatest luxury sports coupe to ever prowl god's green earth.

SeedyROM 05-04-2019 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail (Post 7167312)
I've seen unibody vehicles side impacted so hard they were definitely "beyond repair" yet the owners demanded they be fixed, and if there's one thing I've truly learned during my time turning wrenches/welding/cutting/fabrication it's that ANYTHING can be fixed. I've been a part of MAAAAANY vehicle restoration/repairs over the years, it all comes down to whether YOU want the car fixed or not, and how far you're willing to go with your sweat or by paying someone else to sweat.

Never underestimate the power of sentimental value, it's the lifeblood of nearly every classic restoration on the planet. Just because the vehicle is 15 years old doesn't mean it's ready to die.

That which doesn't kill you...

Whole lotta truth here. Kudos!

.cakestar 05-12-2019 01:28 PM

i mean you can probably fix this for relatively cheap. go to a junk yard or craiglist and look for an entire door. its two bolts that hold it on and the molex connector.. literally thats all thats holding it on. swap it out and then the only thing you need to fix is the quarter panel but id probably just live with it since it seems pretty minor. always tons of part outs on cl, if you get lucky and can get a dg door for like 300$ that would be an easy fix

SeedyROM 05-12-2019 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by .cakestar (Post 7167765)
i mean you can probably fix this for relatively cheap. go to a junk yard or craiglist and look for an entire door. its two bolts that hold it on and the molex connector.. literally thats all thats holding it on. swap it out and then the only thing you need to fix is the quarter panel but id probably just live with it since it seems pretty minor. always tons of part outs on cl, if you get lucky and can get a dg door for like 300$ that would be an easy fix

Thankfully I wont have to go quite that far it seems. Insurance company has decided to fix it and has the car right now in fact. They've all but confirmed other driver at fault (gathering video, but even their claims guy admitted it) so I think I dodged a car-shaped bullet here.

I'll update once I get it back. Thanks for the input!

Galo 05-13-2019 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by SeedyROM (Post 7167784)
Thankfully I wont have to go quite that far it seems. Insurance company has decided to fix it and has the car right now in fact. They've all but confirmed other driver at fault (gathering video, but even their claims guy admitted it) so I think I dodged a car-shaped bullet here.

I'll update once I get it back. Thanks for the input!

Glad to "hear" this! A car I bought 12-12 was totaled 363 days later...another mile, and I would've been home.

I hope it looks as good as it did when you bought it!