G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

engine oil pressure warning light?

Old 03-19-2005, 11:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine oil pressure warning light?

Right after I got my oil changed at Jiffy Lube, the engine oil pressure warning light came on. Has anyone had this happen to them right after they changed their oil?

I am wondering if this will end up being a big problem. I am hoping this is a minor problem and I can just go back and have them fix it by doing another oil change. Or do I have to go to the dealer and have them take care of it?

also, i read the manual and it states that I need to "stop the engine immediately and call an INFINITI dealer or other authorized repair shop". I did end up driving a couple miles after the light came on to get back home. I am hoping that didn't do any permanent damage to the engine...

one bit of info that might help....the warning light would go away when I accelerated and went past 2500 rpm...it would come back as soon as i was off the gas and getting under 2500 rpm...

ARGH!!! all i wanted to do was get a simple oil change and now this!

any help or insight is much appreciated

thanks!

Old 03-20-2005, 12:11 AM
did you check your oil level??..don't drive it until you are sure that all fluids are up to par...

Old 03-20-2005, 01:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may have oil filter leak. Jiffy Lube is known for destroying engines.

Old 03-20-2005, 01:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 6MTsdn03
You may have oil filter leak. Jiffy Lube is known for destroying engines.
LOOLOLLLOLOOLOLLO

Old 03-20-2005, 01:10 AM
What Kind Of Retard Gets Their Oil Filled At Jiffy Lube?

Old 03-20-2005, 01:17 AM
thanks for the helpful reply GonSpeed.

Old 03-20-2005, 01:29 AM
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
I hope you didn't drive or even let your engine idle more that 5 to 10 seconds, otherwise your engine is toast. I would be talking to Jiffy-Lube about them paying for your new engine installation. Good luck.

Old 03-20-2005, 02:48 AM
the oil pressure light usually comes on when you get below a certain psi, on my old nissan it was 7 psi which is enough to ruin your engine at idle. You might have got lucky though

Old 03-20-2005, 02:51 AM
I can't tell from your description whether the oil light came on only once and disappeared after 2500 RPM or if it came on multiple times under 2500 RPM.

If it only came on once: In general terms, it takes a tad bit of time to fill an empty (read: new) oil filter and thus reach proper pressure. We're only talking a second or two, and no damage is done.

If the oil pressure light is/did come on anytime under 2500 RPM (i.e., a chronic issue), there's a major problem somewhere. Assuming the pressure sensing system is OK, could be any of the following: wrong viscosity oil, too little oil, too much oil, wrong/bad filter or installation, contaminant in the system (blocked oil passages). You might get really lucky and there's no pressure problem per se; the oil light maybe an indicator from the ODB system to get things checked out (but I would suspect that you'd have the "check engine" light on).

Old 03-20-2005, 02:31 PM
Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mtbzee
thanks for the helpful reply GonSpeed.

Actually, if you read into it a bit, it is a helpful reply.

Don't get your oil changed at Jiffy Lube, no matter what. They are known for employing unskilled, teenage labor to do the work, the type of labor that really could give a **** less about your car, or even if they bothered to replace the oil pan drain plug.

A quick internet search will find multiple horror stories about how Jiffy Lube ruinded various cars, and does not take any responsibility for it.

Thus, as he said, only an idiot would get their oil changed at Jiffy Lube.

In answer to your question, yes, there is a good chance you ruined your engine. If the check oil pressure light came on once after you first started your car after the oil change, thats normal, it means the new oil hasn't had a chance to make it's way all the way through the engine. If it came on multiple times, then it means your oil pressure is low. Duh.

And, since you kept on driving it after it came on, including revving it up, as you said above 2500 rpms, Jiffy Lube will likely claim that as soon as you kept on driving it, you took responsibility for the car. And you did, since you did keep on driving it, which, in my opinion, was rather stupid of you. Harsh? Sure, but you are the one who did it, not me.

Best case scenario is that your oil was only somewhat low, which means you might have only done minor damage to the engine, which won't show up until late in the engines lifespan, 100k miles + Worse case scenario is that your engine is going to seize up in the near future. In which case, you have learned an expensive lesson about Jiffy Lube.

Good luck
Dave

Old 03-20-2005, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by caelric
Actually, if you read into it a bit, it is a helpful reply.

Don't get your oil changed at Jiffy Lube, no matter what. They are known for employing unskilled, teenage labor to do the work, the type of labor that really could give a **** less about your car, or even if they bothered to replace the oil pan drain plug.

A quick internet search will find multiple horror stories about how Jiffy Lube ruinded various cars, and does not take any responsibility for it.

Thus, as he said, only an idiot would get their oil changed at Jiffy Lube.

In answer to your question, yes, there is a good chance you ruined your engine. If the check oil pressure light came on once after you first started your car after the oil change, thats normal, it means the new oil hasn't had a chance to make it's way all the way through the engine. If it came on multiple times, then it means your oil pressure is low. Duh.

And, since you kept on driving it after it came on, including revving it up, as you said above 2500 rpms, Jiffy Lube will likely claim that as soon as you kept on driving it, you took responsibility for the car. And you did, since you did keep on driving it, which, in my opinion, was rather stupid of you. Harsh? Sure, but you are the one who did it, not me.

Best case scenario is that your oil was only somewhat low, which means you might have only done minor damage to the engine, which won't show up until late in the engines lifespan, 100k miles + Worse case scenario is that your engine is going to seize up in the near future. In which case, you have learned an expensive lesson about Jiffy Lube.

Good luck
Dave
exactaly

Old 03-20-2005, 03:54 PM
Vic
yeah... why would you get your $40K car an oil change at jiffy lube. even when I own my old accord, i never ever changed the oil at other places other than the dealer.
It really is not worth it paying less but getting a bad outcome.
I'd say go back to jiffy lube and ask them to check everything. I dont think infiniti dealer want to fix it under the waranty..

Old 03-20-2005, 04:15 PM
yes yes...i realize that it was very very stupid of me to go to jiffy lube for an oil change....

at this point, i am just going to take it to the dealership (through roadside assistance) and have them take a look at the problem...

horrible lesson learned and I just hope that things will turn out ok.

Old 03-20-2005, 05:14 PM
Vic
hope everything works well.. good luck and inform us back about the result.

Old 03-20-2005, 05:42 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mtbzee
yes yes...i realize that it was very very stupid of me to go to jiffy lube for an oil change....

at this point, i am just going to take it to the dealership (through roadside assistance) and have them take a look at the problem...

horrible lesson learned and I just hope that things will turn out ok.
Sorry for your problem...Did you ever check the oil level after getting home with the oil light on?
If the level is down, Nissan won't be happy about that.
G/L with repairs.
C.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: engine oil pressure warning light?