G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07-14/)
-   -   Wife's G after her accident (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/51402-wifes-g-after-her-accident.html)

kbmuddyz 04-20-2005 12:23 AM

Wife's G after her accident

Hey guys I wanted to post this up for a few reasons. First and foremost, tell your loved ones how you feel about them. Getting a phone call while at work with your wife sobbing and telling you she just got in a wreck is a scary thing. Lucky I work nearby and made it to the scene almost as quick as the paramedics. Second, if you are in the market for a new car, I am impressed with how this one held up. We will be buying an 05 model once all the insurance crap is handled.

Anyway my wife was traveling along this divided 4 lane road when this lady in a Toyota sedan comes across the intersection (she had a stop sign) and slams into Loree. In anticipation my wife braked and swerved, but it was way too late at that point. Not sure if the other lady ran the stop sign or just darted across the intersection but upon impact spun my wife 180 degrees. The lady ended up over 100 yards down the road. An eyewitness who was attempting a U turn at the intersection had to halt her turn to avoid the lady jetting across and noticed she was on her cell phone.

The other woman went to the hospital, not sure how bad she was injured but I don't think it was life threatening as her husband came to the scene after the ambulance took her away. My wife Loree walked away with airbag burns and a bruised knee. Obviously she is a bit sore already, probably worse tomorrow.

Here are the pictures I took of the scene. I didn't get pictures of the other lady's car, with the paramedics and all I didn't feel right over there snapping pictures. The first picture shows the whole car. Notice the structural integrity of the car stayed intact. The side curtain airbags deployed from the ceiling but overall the inside of the car was still very much in place, only compressed slightly.

http://www.jesseshunting.com/photopo..._view_web_.JPG

The second is a closeup of the side impact. Again notice the structural integrity.

http://www.jesseshunting.com/photopo...mpact_web_.JPG

The third picture a big picture view of the intersection and where Loree's car ended up. You can see the dark spots on the roadway from the fluids leaking out of other lady's car. She ended up at least 100 yards off to the back left following that road. Keep in mind the Loree's car was originally travelling the other direction but during the side impact the right rear tire slammed sideways into that point of the curb you see there, breaking the rim and leaving the wheel at a 45 degree angle to where it should be, probably causing the spin. Looked to be some axle damage under there as well.

http://www.jesseshunting.com/photopo...ction_web_.JPG

Does anyone have any advice on dealing with the other lady's insurance company. I am still trying to get her insurance information, we didn't get it at the scene because she was taken to the hospital. I am supposed to go by the DPS tomorrow to get the accident report which will contain the info.

I really don't want this car back, my hope is that it will be totalled out and we can start over. We have really liked our G, it was just over a year old with 15k miles. I guess we will buy a new one now... :confused:

mc2 04-20-2005 12:27 AM

I'm glad everybody seems to be OK. I certainly hope that you dont have to keep this car though i cannot see the damage.. it will never be the same if it is repaired though.

But from the pictures it looks like the car will probably be totalled. I hope for your sake that it will be.

Gee Im Fast 04-20-2005 12:29 AM

Thank goodness she is ok, secondly....chalk that one as a loss and start looking for a new one while you're waiting for the check to arrive, cause I guarantee you, that car is going to be claimed as a loss...

AustNMike 04-20-2005 12:32 AM

well...I hate to tell you this, but your car is repairable up to around $22-23k before it will total most likely and I don't see that much $$ damage....good luck...

paranormal 04-20-2005 12:36 AM

tell your wife she has neck injuries and start suing!!!!! get on it!

kbmuddyz 04-20-2005 12:37 AM

How do you figure out if a car is totalled or not? I thought the damage had to exceed 50% of the value. In this case, an 04 G with 15k would cost you $30k according to KBB. A quick online check shows that to be a bit high, but only by $1-2k. So if the repairs are more than $15k it should be totalled right?

Again in addition to the damage you see, the right rear tire was at a 45 degree angle to the road way. Major damage underneath there, not to mention at least 2 new rims.

AustNMike 04-20-2005 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by kbmuddyz
How do you figure out if a car is totalled or not? I thought the damage had to exceed 50% of the value. In this case, an 04 G with 15k would cost you $30k according to KBB. A quick online check shows that to be a bit high, but only by $1-2k. So if the repairs are more than $15k it should be totalled right?

Again in addition to the damage you see, the right rear tire was at a 45 degree angle to the road way. Major damage underneath there, not to mention at least 2 new rims.

Here in TX (which I see you are too from your windshield stickers) they will repair up to 75-80 % of the current retail value, which if figured at $30k = $22.5....but, with the wheels, maybe tires, and suspension damage added to the curtain bag, maybe it will total....it could come down to whether or not the headliner is torn or something like that....again, good luck...and thankfully she wasn't driving something w/out the side airbag...

Panman1978 04-20-2005 12:43 AM

Glad to hear your wife's doing well. Since your wife was T-boned, this could have been a lot worse. The FM chasis may weigh more but it's solid.

This story does piss me off though. I wish some people would pay attention when they are driving. :mad:

illegal_racer_7 04-20-2005 12:47 AM

first of are you still paying for it? (making payments?) purchase or lease? and if they dont want to total ur car, just tell them you dont wanna pay for a car thats been hit like that, I mean its not like a little bumper hit or something, its the whole side of the car. plus the car will never be the same, dont let them talk u out of it, ive seen cars at the auction with some small dents on fenders and the car is totaled? so i think you gotta keep ur foot down and dont let them tell u other wise, and i think it has something to do with what company u have as ur insurance

mc2 04-20-2005 12:48 AM

better start tearing that headliner up.

Gee Im Fast 04-20-2005 12:50 AM

When a chasis is bent, it's a saftey hazard, its a loss. That's a loss, doesn't matter how much you get until it can be claimed "a loss".

AustNMike 04-20-2005 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Gee Im Fast
When a chasis is bent, it's a saftey hazard, its a loss. That's a loss, doesn't matter how much you get until it can be claimed "a loss".

dude, you can't tell from those pics if the "chassis" is bent...not sure what you meant by "chassis", but this car doesn't have a straight frame...it's a "unibody" design....the uniside does however have some apparent damage, but again, it's a repairable car if there is enough value (money) in it....

BangBoogie 04-20-2005 01:09 AM

Hey... I thought the side body moldings we're supposed to stop dents from happening?

:p j/k. I noticed that most female drivers dont buy ear pieces for their cellphones. Dumb Broads, they all deserve to die since they dont want to dish out $10 - $80 bucks on a head piece that could prevent accidents.

flightz71 04-20-2005 01:13 AM

Hey glad to hear your wife is ok! The exact same thing happened to me in my mr2. A elderly man ran a stop sign and i naturally braked and swered but didn make it. Even my injuries were similar...lol A bruised knee but no side airbags (94). The door came 1/2" away from my ribs...luckly I'm still here typing today. But unfortunantly, some witness said i was going too fast (35 in a 25 zone) and therefore I got jacked by insurance. As they say life is unfair...all i could do was comb my hair back and start over. :(

Panman1978 04-20-2005 01:16 AM

The term chassis is used to describe the body of the vehicle. Many people think of chasis and the old body on frame comes to mind. The FM (front-mid engine) chassis is a unibody design.