G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Anyone ever driven a WRX Sti or Lancer EVO?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 10:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Highlife
What makes you think the STI is unbearable for long drives? I recently drove 8 hours strait in my STI and it was a cake walk. Those rumors you hear about the STI's horrible drivability in everyday driving/long commutes is completely false! Again..when you look at the packages Acura/Lexus/infiniti and other cars in that category offer they are almost identical, minus the great design of the G. More Safety???
It is not as comfortable as G. I've driven STi, and I wanted something more comfortable and luxurious for daily driving and long drives. If you have no problems, good for you. I think I would not have been satisfied with STi on long drives and dailiy driving. Plus I never said that STi was UNBEARABLE on long drives. I just said that G is MORE COMFORTABLE than STi. Now you're just assuming things. I even said that STi is a practical car.

How in earth are the TSX, TL, and IS300 identical packages as the G?? TSX and TL are FWD, which I would never own, and IS300 which I have owned for few months only have 215hp. G is RWD with 280hp. Doh. Learn to READ.

G does offer more safety features than STi like side curtain airbags, VDC, etc.

Now you just look like you're offended that I chose G35 Coupe over STi because for me, G Coupe was a better car than STi. I love STi but G Coupe better suited my needs. It's as simple as that.

Last edited by Rookie84; 04-27-2005 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rookie84
It is not as comfortable as G. I've driven STi, and I wanted something more comfortable and luxurious for daily driving and long drives. If you have no problems, good for you. I think I would not have been satisfied with STi on long drives and dailiy driving. Plus I never said that STi was UNBEARABLE on long drives. I just said that G is MORE COMFORTABLE than STi. Now you're just assuming things. I even said that STi is a practical car.

How in earth are the TSX, TL, and IS300 identical packages as the G?? TSX and TL are FWD, which I would never own, and IS300 which I have owned for few months only have 215hp. G is RWD with 280hp. Doh. Learn to READ.

G does offer more safety features than STi like side curtain airbags, VDC, etc.

Now you just look like you're offended that I chose G35 Coupe over STi because for me, G Coupe was a better car than STi. I love STi but G Coupe better suited my needs. It's as simple as that.
Bro...why would I be upset that you purchased a G35? Think about this for a second! Does that make any sense? I mean...i have no idea who you are and i will never ever meet you in person. Secondly...how you spend your hard earned money is up to you and the powers that be. When i mentioned that the aformentioned cars offer the same packages as does infiniti...most people i think would know that i'm talking about the TOTAL picture (you know... luxury options, appeal, popularity, etc) not in term of just HP) Have fun with your G

Old 04-27-2005, 10:57 PM
SUD
I posted before...so I should probably be shot for posting again. I have both the Subaru and the G in my garage. They are two different cars, and while they are cross-shopped by some, they really are serving two different segments.

The Subaru is a great car for its segment. It has awesome performance in all categories. It is bulletproof and highly reliable. Fit and finish are excellent. The AWD system is awesome and the best of the 4 AWD cars I have owned. I grew up with RWD cars and while a G can be driven in the snow there is no comparison with the Subaru...and I ought to know given that I live in Canada, and in a snow belt to boot....my snow piles were 5 to 6 feet high all winter...and this one was relatively mild The seats in the Subaru are not the most comfortable but they hold you in place very well. The driving position in the car is perfect...I believe it has been very carefully setup this way...and the best of any vehicle I have owned. This I believe to be the most important factor (maybe tied with seat comfort) for long distance driving. As a consultant I travel a lot. For 10 months I lived in Toronto and worked in Fredericton (before I sold my house in Toronto and moved to Fredericton). Travel time is 12 hours by car. I did this commute non-stop at least 20 times in my Subaru. Not once did I feel the car was a challenge to drive over this distance. It has 4 doors, carries rear seat passengers easily, and has a surprising amount to total cargo space. Stereo was not really better, nor worse than the Gs. Ride is fairly harsh, but not much different than my G...on the highway it makes no difference, in the city even with my G's 19s I'd give it to the G. Haven't really done any high speed cruising in heavy wind with the G yet. The Subaru does get tossed around a bit in heavy wind.

That said...I love my G. It is beauty on wheels and a great blend of comfort and performance as well. At my age or more correctly with my current priorities, I now prefer the refined luxury of the G and the looks. But those of yah who think the Subaru is some POS econobox with a powerful engine and AWD...well...you are sadly mistaken. It is far more than that and IMO is best in its class and a superb machine for its drivers priorities.

SUD

Old 04-28-2005, 01:06 AM
2005 STI; modded a bit.

interior

PRE ECUtekdash monitor in place of clock......

JDM sti seats installed...

PRE-turbo upgrade.....

3.5" ID aps exhaust, turbo-back..... (with ecutek)

having owned the g35 (vortech) and now the sti (much mods here as well), i can say they really have little to compare between.

those shopping for the characteristics of the G likely wont find the Sti to be comparative (and vice-versa).

mods-wise, the sti (and any factory turbo car) responds like mad to bolt-ons..... ECU tuning is rampant as well, and there are many choices for piggy-backs, standalones, and ecu reflashes (custom too).

some days i miss the G, and others i am mad in love with the sti (most days it is the latter i admit).

ese

Last edited by esemes; 04-28-2005 at 01:08 AM.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:11 AM
Nice STi!!

This comfort debate is hugely subjective. If we really want to go all out on the "comfort" zone, let's just all buy cushy Ford Crown Victoria's and be done with it.

Just kidding around, but my point is that one guy might be just fine driving distances in a car like the STi; another might not. I commuted to work (60 miles) in an Eibach sprung WRX for years; it was no big deal. Over time, though, my requirements for my car evolved, and now the comfort and ride of the G35 are appropriate.

Old 04-28-2005, 09:47 AM
I have driven both. They are fun and fast cars. The STi is a better daily driver than the EVO. The EVO becomes very uncomfortable after some time in it. Both cars have that econobox / rental car feel to it. The fit and finish is OK on both.

If your looking for AWD turbo sedan, I would look into a B5 (2000-2002) Audi S4.

Old 04-28-2005, 10:45 AM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Look at this ridiculous EVO!

http://www.srvidz.com/chrisevo.wmv EVO vs. Camaro/Neon SRT4

http://www.srvidz.com/evocobras.wmv EVO vs. 2 Stangs (highly modded)

Old 04-28-2005, 11:02 AM
mrb
Wow, all I was interested in was driving impressions, not G vs stuff

For grins, and just to add some data to the thread....
I spoke with my insurance agent this morning, since my G order has been bumped up (they are getting my car in on the current order instead of next to avoid the price increase ) and wanted to reconfirm the insurance rate.
For grins, I asked insurance rates on the EVO and Sti today, and they are considerably higher than the G. When she pulled up the Sti first, she said "wow, that is high", then she said the EVO was basically the same.
Now I'm 31 with a clean driving record and I have been with my insurance company for 5 years or more which qualifies me for some of the best rates out there so the insurance price difference isn't exactly monumental. But for someone younger than me, wow, you could pay a fortune, especially if under 25 years of age. Compared to my current commuter, the G is cheaper (it's a Honda), and the Sti/Evo are much higher. And knowing from having high insurance rates vehicles in the past, many times the rates for those kinds of cars go up instead of down over the next few years. Just a FYI post.

Old 04-28-2005, 11:13 AM
That's interesting. My insurance didn't go up or down much from my WRX to the G (actually, it went up $1 per 6 months), but then the rates on the WRX aren't as high as on the STi/Evo.

Old 04-28-2005, 12:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm... My insurances quotes were a bit cheaper for STi than the G. Interesting...

Old 04-28-2005, 12:25 PM
mrb
All that means is that in my state they are being wrecked, a lot.

Old 04-28-2005, 12:28 PM
I think that STi's and Evo's are being wrecked alot in most places.

Old 04-28-2005, 12:40 PM
Swerving and Weaving
i owned an evo before i bought the G. I put 5500 miles on it brand new. In that short period of about 6 months i went through 2 transfer cases, 2 stock clutches, and 1 transmission. Everything except the powertrain was great on that car. And unfortunately the powertrain is all that car has.

My friend has an STi 04. He bought it used and unknowingly abused and overboosted way too often. Other than that his car is great. He's on his second engine b/c of the original owner. The car 9600 miles on it when his engine killed itself.

I prefer the looks of the EVO over the STi. The reason why i bought what i did. The vo just outperforms the Sti on the AutoX and road race tracks. The STi owns the evo on the straight aways. Both are amazing machines. I just wished Mitsubishis hadnt ****ed alot of people over with their crappy powertrain designs in the 03 model.

Old 04-28-2005, 12:45 PM
Swerving and Weaving
Originally Posted by Randys_G
Look at this ridiculous EVO!

http://www.srvidz.com/chrisevo.wmv EVO vs. Camaro/Neon SRT4

http://www.srvidz.com/evocobras.wmv EVO vs. 2 Stangs (highly modded)

beileve it or not ive ridden in and seen faster evos here in houston. Log on to evolutionm.net to see all the vids put out there.

Old 04-28-2005, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by Poptarts
My friend has an STi 04. He bought it used and unknowingly abused and overboosted way too often. Other than that his car is great. He's on his second engine b/c of the original owner.
Easy to do. People buy those cars, slap a cheap boost controller on it, and wind up running their cars in extremely lean conditions. I reflashed my ECU with maps that matched my mods, so that it could keep things safe.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever driven a WRX Sti or Lancer EVO?