G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07-14/)
-   -   is 8 miles high for a test drive by a mechanic? (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/58794-8-miles-high-test-drive-mechanic.html)

88stlgrym3 06-28-2005 12:22 AM

is 8 miles high for a test drive by a mechanic?

i picked up my car this afternoon after i dropped it off for the 7500 miles service this morning, everything felt so great and tight especially the brakes. but i noticed they put 8 miles on my car during the service, i know they were suppose to test drive the car after the service is done but 8 miles? is it too much for a test drive? i hope they didn't take my car out for a joy ride.

jesse370 06-28-2005 12:31 AM

It depends, do you trust your dealership? 8 seems high but is there a easy way to do a loop near your dealer? Did the car even need a test drive at all?

G35Vision 06-28-2005 12:33 AM

Well for basic service with an 05, I would say that is a bit much unless you asked them to check some sort of drivability issue. My guess would be it was used for a run to the Deli or for a test drive with a salesman showing your car to a potential buyer. Either way nothing you can do or prove ... It's only 8 miles... Just forget about it.

variance 06-28-2005 01:52 AM

you can give them a bad evaluation on the call back surveys.
on my second maintainence service the repair guys put 49 miles on my car.

mazzona19 06-28-2005 02:36 AM

I work in a car dealership and test drives can range anywhere from a few miles to initially/finally test a car during repairs to driving for 20 minutes, especially at highway speeds, to check things over. If emissions are a problem, the drives are longer to reset the sensors. It all depends, and I am willing to bet that the mechanic has plenty of access to G35s and wouldn't thrash yours because of it being his first G to drive. If anything, he probably wasted time so he didn't have to go back to work.

speedygp 06-28-2005 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by G35Vision
Well for basic service with an 05, I would say that is a bit much unless you asked them to check some sort of drivability issue. My guess would be it was used for a run to the Deli or for a test drive with a salesman showing your car to a potential buyer. Either way nothing you can do or prove ... It's only 8 miles... Just forget about it.

You are so wrong!! :mad: My friend was a tech at Honda and one of the tech's took a customers car for a test drive and when doing so He was caught at the drive-thru of a McDonalds and the customer caught him red handed and asked him what was he doing in his car?? :eek: . Customer then proceeded to the dealer and went to Management bitching! Right or wrong this tech was fired, because it was policy to never, EVER use a customers car for personal reasons when doing a test drive!!!

kenchan 06-28-2005 08:36 AM

hahaha, McD's. hahaha. :D

8miles is too high unless your area only has one-way hwy streets and takes
a couple of miles to do a u-turn.

I usually get my car back with 2-3 miles for test drives tops. But again, my
dealer is very busy and has a tight schedule so they don't have time to be
goofing off. wat ticks me off is that they drive threw puddles and crap
without thinking twice that the customer may not want their car dirtied up.

88stlgrym3 06-28-2005 09:14 AM

could it be they're checking out my brake noise? cuz i did mentioned to the sa my front brakes squeaks while slowing down on freeway speed, maybe they took it on freeway. this is the only reason i can think of.

madchef 06-28-2005 09:24 AM

Whenever I've had a few miles put on my car for service, it was always because they took it up on the highway for an exit (and back of course).

Msedanman 06-28-2005 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by 88stlgrym3
i picked up my car this afternoon after i dropped it off for the 7500 miles service this morning, everything felt so great and tight especially the brakes. but i noticed they put 8 miles on my car during the service, i know they were suppose to test drive the car after the service is done but 8 miles? is it too much for a test drive? i hope they didn't take my car out for a joy ride.

It's easy to be anal about that, I know the feeling well myself, but rest assured the mechanics (who I know) are busy and anxious the get to the next job and don't have time for "joy riding". Some drives take longer than others for many reasons......traffic, extended evaluation, proper warmup for ESM checks, multiple road tests.....
If you want an explanation, ask for one. They shouldn't be upset by such questions and may have a completely logical reason for you to set your mind at ease.
C.

cfl70 06-28-2005 09:57 AM

i worked for nissan on time and the tech took car home one night and totaled it and was charged with dui....now explain that to the customer !!!!! :)

ChazM 06-28-2005 04:01 PM

My friends work at Ford here in orlando and they always take customers' car out for lunch or whatever......so i wouldn't be surprised if the same what done to your car. But you probably won't be able to do anything.