G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07-14/)
-   -   need exhaust opinion!!!! (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/8723-need-exhaust-opinion.html)

taikien 08-24-2003 02:53 AM

need exhaust opinion!!!!

im waiting on my borla exhaust header and borla daul exhaust system just wondering if any body got these two mods install on their g35 coupe and was there a big difference in performance gain or stillen exhaust.any comment would be appreciated.

vgrani1g35 08-24-2003 09:46 AM

Re: need exhaust opinion!!!!

just installed my borla exhaust a couple of days ago, and with my intake, there is a huge difference in performance.. when i shift into second and third now the car almost breaks loose..before i would just chirp.. when i get the headers, this car will definitely beat an m3.. i am going to the track next week and i will post my times... should run between a 13.75 and 13.85. not bad for $800 worth of mods..good luck with your goods, enjoy them.

ChrisG35C 08-24-2003 10:03 AM

vgrani1g35, what type of intake do you have? I've ordered the Borla exhaust and Stillen intake. Hopefully I'll feel that type of improvement.

vgrani1g35 08-24-2003 10:39 AM

i have the injen cold air intake....but hopefully you will have the same sort of gain with the stillen..

taikien 08-24-2003 03:47 PM

what did borla said for hp gain on the exhaust and what was the hp gain in the borla headers?trying to to decided if the headers are worth the money.

G35Gnome 08-24-2003 04:11 PM

at http://www.planetperformance.com they claim
12 HP/ 15 ft lbs Torque for the Borla headers
10 HP/ 14 ft lbs Torque for the Borla exhaust

I will be ordering this combo next week, cant wait to put it on.

MrElussive 08-24-2003 04:32 PM

Anybody know if the Borla headers significantly increase noise? I am planning on Borla exhaust (which is always a fun sound-improving mod), but headers are always known to make a car REALLY loud. Can anyone comment on this??

JDMan 08-24-2003 05:11 PM

I think those header numbers are combined with exhaust. They're not generally regarded as doing much. Also, there's a rumor going around that ATs average almost twice the gains of MTs from the exhaust. I'm not sure if that makes any sense (you wouldn't think it'd make a difference), just reporting what I've heard elsewhere.

-Jack
Obsidian '03 G35 Sports Coupe
Titanium '03 MX-5 Shinsen #532

G35Gnome 08-24-2003 08:28 PM

Just looked again, it doesnt say on the header page anything about the hp/tz gains being with the exhaust. I hope they are not. It wouldnt make any sense to put them on for a measly 2hp/1tq gain.

Tfasano 08-24-2003 08:51 PM

JDMan,
Tell me more about this rumor. I have a 5a/t and am scheduled to have my borla installed on Thursday. Where did you hear this?

Luv My G

JDMan 08-24-2003 09:46 PM

I heard the AT thing for the exhaust awhile ago at my350z.com. It arises mainly out of the fact that the guys who got the highest dynos happened to have automatics, and that the Z that Borla used to generate its original 20hp figure was an automatic. I'd be happy if it's true, but it doesn't make sense to me. Well, maybe it does, since the gearing is different between 6MT and 5AT, and you'll get different peak HP values if you dyno in 3rd gear instead of 4th gear. The more I learn about dynos, the less faith I have in them.

The headers definitely make less power than the exhaust, which is why I thought that must be a combined figure. I haven't seen anyone who did the headers without the exhaust, but the guys who did both are only a little higher than the guys with just exhaust (like 4hp). But who knows, maybe they work poorly together and the independent number is accurate. Again, dynos aren't completely reliable.

-Jack
Obsidian '03 G35 Sports Coupe
Titanium '03 MX-5 Shinsen #532

taikien 08-25-2003 08:38 PM

does the header and exhaust void the factoring warranty?

taikien 08-29-2003 06:02 PM

i just finishen installing the borla headers.it took me almost 8 hr to install it.my borla exhaust havent come in yet but put factory exhaust back on with headers and the car is noticeble difference at wot.more responsive and deeper tone than factory.have not reset the ecu yet.also i just raced a mustang with flow master exhaust we were at the light and once turn green we took off i was half a car length behind him and i started passing him up easy.my mods are only injen and borla headers right now.

Jedi 08-29-2003 06:41 PM

No.

"Use the Forced Induction Luke!"
-Jedi
2003 G35C, 6MT, Navi, Black Obsidian/Graphite