G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

I wish I wasn't tempted by every other hard a$$ that wants take on the G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 12:54 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by csdstudio
Funny, but I've driven a sedan and couldn't wait to get back to my coupe. I couldn't believe how different it felt, even when from inside I thought I was looking at my own interior. I'm also not referring to performance, just all around "feel".

Does the automatic G really DROAN that bad? The in-cabin droan from the engine while accelerating from every corner and stoplight was horrible. Just the opposite thoough, my wife's Altima 3.5 is very quiet.
I love the exhaust note from my 05 - no drone to my ear - just a nice rasp turning to howl as the revs climb. Not too much, not too little. My only complaint is that the weather is starting to turn nice up here and I'm rolling around with the windows down and the roof open. The more I hear the exhaust sing, the more I want to mash the GO pedal... It kills my mileage. LOL..

Old 05-16-2006, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
Absolutely untrue. I own a sedan.

Anyone who knows anything about cars knows the sedan has ***** and will try to egg you on. It may not happen as often as with the coupe, but I get it all the time, from all sorts of drivers.

Sedans aren't immune, especially from other sedans.
I owned a G35 sedan for 3 yrs and no one ever tried to race me. I just traded it in two weeks ago for a G35 coupe. No one has tried to race me in that either. If they do I'll just ignore them.

Old 05-16-2006, 12:59 PM
I love the exhaust note from my 05 - no drone to my ear - just a nice rasp turning to howl as the revs climb. Not too much, not too little. My only complaint is that the weather is starting to turn nice up here and I'm rolling around with the windows down and the roof open. The more I hear the exhaust sing, the more I want to mash the GO pedal... It kills my mileage. LOL..
Do you have a manual? And you are right, any ignorant fool will wanna race. Oh, and BTW, the sedan I drove was a loaner. Probably beat to snot and treated like a POS by its loanees.

Last edited by csdstudio; 05-16-2006 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:11 PM
anger management

Old 05-16-2006, 01:27 PM
Luckily for me, the only "fast" cars around my small town are Mustangs and EVERYONE has one. Most are just GTs with Flowmasters (which does sound pretty good) and they could probably beat me anyway if they did want to race.

No one has ever tried to race me, and no one probably ever will. The G just doesn't look like a fast car (at least my sedan doesn't). I'm glad, too. I like my car just the way she is.

Old 05-16-2006, 02:01 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Originally Posted by csdstudio
Do you have a manual? And you are right, any ignorant fool will wanna race. Oh, and BTW, the sedan I drove was a loaner. Probably beat to snot and treated like a POS by its loanees.
Nope. 5AT. I drove the manual before I bought and chose the 5AT instead. I've owned many manual cars over the years (I'm over 40) and this one didn't impress me so much. Combine that with the host of problems I read about here (vibes, clutches, notchy shift patterns) and I didn't feel confident in it. The performance gain is minimal, and the driver involvement (for me) of the manual mode is enough for me to enjoy the times when I actually have some open road to play with.

The main driver for me was traffic - I'm done playing idle-creep-idle-creep with my foot on the clutch. I don't enjoy a manual in traffic anymore, and neither does the significant other. If she ain't happy, you won't ever be either.. LOL..

Old 05-16-2006, 02:50 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
"...Combine that with the host of problems I read about here (vibes, clutches, notchy shift patterns) and I didn't feel confident in it..." LOL..
Those aren't problems, those are more or less complaints from people who either didn't test drive the 6MT before buying or are complainers.

I just had a 5AT sedan loaner for an entire week. I must say, I am glad now that I didn't get the 5AT. It just felt so sluggish. Don't know what it is Also, the manualmatic (or whatever it is called) was slow to shift too. I would get to about 6000 rpm and shift and I would feel and see it shift literally like a second later. Although, in heavy traffic, I must confess it is nice not to have to shift so often (I was only in heavy traffic one day and only for 20 minutes). Oh, and being in a Sedan just never felt right. It felt like I'm in a skinner boat rather then a wide boat like the coupe I know the model I had didn't have sport suspension and felt wobbley everytime I went around the corner. Weird.

Well, back to the topic. Yes, have some self control. I remember when I had my 87 Maxima, I would show the neigh sayers what a Maxima can do. I've raced anything under the moon. I remember maxing out my speedometer too (125 mph I believe). Now, I don't ever race anymore. No need to prove a thing. Although, I really hate it when someone is changing lanes and there is no one behind me, yet they would speed up and squeeze into my lane in front of me and the car ahead of me. That just really pisses me off more then anything. Then, I would occasionally see them try and wouldn't let them do it. A close second would be a car passing me from behind while I'm doing 80 and then slow down to go 80...grrr...

Old 05-16-2006, 02:53 PM
Banned
Go to a track if you feel the need for speed and you would like to race. Leave everything on the track.

Old 05-16-2006, 02:59 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I've learned to calm myself down BIGTIME as I now take my baby daughter back/forth to grandmas everyday.

But speaking of rockchips, when someone is trying to read the wrinkles on the back of my head, I usually "drift" on over to the right or left. Whatever side is the emergency lane. That area usually features alot of choice material that my 19" 245-40-19 is able to kick up on the car right in back of me. That usually gets my point accross.

Your head is in the right place. People usually wake up after the fact, and then it's too late. Best case is a big f'in ticket and law trouble, worst case is something you don't want to think about.

Just let 'em go. Save yourself some rock chips..

Old 05-16-2006, 04:16 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Originally Posted by mephistomyhero
Those aren't problems, those are more or less complaints from people who either didn't test drive the 6MT before buying or are complainers.
Disagree, but to each their own. A clutch that remains depressed to the floor even after being released by the operator and burns itself isn't a complaint, it's a design flaw, and it's been noted extensively here.

Howling, excessive vibration, difficulty in shifting, and premature clutch wear are also well documented PROBLEMs many have had with this manual drive train. Many, by the way, that have owned several other manual drivetrain cars. You don't see the same type complaints (to this degree) in ANY other car forum. BMW, Acura, Audi - none.

For me, the minimal performance gain wasn't worth the potential heartache.

As for looks, the as$ on the coupe is HUGE. Gargantuan. Grossly out of proportion with the rest of the car IMO. Every angle except the rear is pure sex, but the rear quarter views aren't the greatest.

The sedan looks overly tall from the rear - it looks very narrow. Take two or three steps off center though, and the proportions are back in sync. Compared to the rest of the class, it's the biggest thing going and I like my space. I think the sedan's best angle is the front 3/4 view.

To each their own - the coupe wasn't practical for me. I have to have room, and I like having a real trunk. I haul stuff and travel, and if I had the coupe I'd be leaving it in the garage and driving my truck so my stuff would fit. I bought it to drive it and the sedan is more practical. Two people with luggage and a cooler would overwhelm the coupe. With the sedan it all goes in the trunk, out of sight, and I still have a full backseat.

As for the 5AT being sluggish, I never bought this car thinking it was a race car, I know better. It isn't fast, and I don't try to make it be. I don't run the car to 6000 RPMs enough to worry about a 1/2 second lag. The only time I'd worry about lag is if I were at the track racing, and I don't track this car, so it's no issue. If I were an as$hat street racer it might be a limiter, but I don't bother with that foolishness either. It isn't worth my time. I concede that the other driver can be a bigger as$hole than I can from the beginning and shine them on.

My perfect scenario would be a sedan for the day to day and a convertible 350Z for the weekends.

Old 05-16-2006, 04:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The way I think about it...why the heck do I wanna floor my baby and waste $2 in gas just to prove my car's faster? People should just get a life and go the normal speed limits

Old 05-16-2006, 04:48 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Disagree, but to each their own. A clutch that remains depressed to the floor even after being released by the operator and burns itself isn't a complaint, it's a design flaw, and it's been noted extensively here.
Almost everything you said or I've said are really opinions, BTW
Also, I wouldn't call this forum Extensive in any stretch of the term. Nothing on this forum is extensive or anything said are considered "well Documented". When was the last time you've seen a "My clutch being depressed after I removed my feet" post? BTW, I actually tried the scenerio to see if I can do it and for the light of me, I can't duplicate it. I would think that if this was "well documented" we would see a TSB on it since is a very serious safety issue. Look at all of our yelling, ranting, and whatnot on the rattles (I don't have any, btw), chair sqeaks (mine was just fixed by the dealer). Now, these are TSBs so I would consider them well documented.

Howling, excessive vibration, difficulty in shifting, and premature clutch wear are also well documented PROBLEMs many have had with this manual drive train. Many, by the way, that have owned several other manual drivetrain cars. You don't see the same type complaints (to this degree) in ANY other car forum. BMW, Acura, Audi - none.
Well, I sorta disagree there. It won't be the same "complaints" but will be other type of complaints. Then again, you do know that there will be at least one car that has more complaints then the other ones, right? It doesn't make it a problem, just personal complaints. I'm not disagreeing entirely you on this one though

Everything else, yes they are only opinions. I never said I didn't like the Sedan, just not over the coupe. I don't think I can call the Sedan bad or a 5AT bad, it just didn't have the 6MT feel that I like so much (YES, I like the feel of th 6MT, with all it's vibrations, etc. ). As for being sluggish, I was just hoping that a Manualmatic wouldn't be sluggish like that. Makes me wonder if I would ever get a manualmatic if it was offered in the new coupe...nah, I wouldn't Also, it is sluggish at 4000 rpm or 6000 rpm, btw. Maybe it was just the loaner?

Anyways, we're both off topic on this post! Just so I won't look like a complete noob for posting off topic, I say most will grow out of the "racing" thing as they get older. I sure did. Also, you learn from your mistakes and hopefully, you won't have a serious Mistake to learn from. Maybe just a fat Ticket that would make Rosanne look like Kate Moss!

Old 05-16-2006, 05:09 PM
THE BATMOBILE
i feel you on this also..........but im sure people feel the same way about us whether we like it or not

Old 05-16-2006, 05:17 PM
jmX
Where the hell do you guys live that people are racing G35's?! These cars are not all that fun to race, they're just meant to be drivers with some pep. I could see the FI guys getting to the point that it's fun, but otherwise its got to be a letdown....like maybe watching womens basketball. These things have what....240-250rwhp? Its just not worth breaking the law for on public streets...sorry.

Old 05-16-2006, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by jmX
Where the hell do you guys live that people are racing G35's?! These cars are not all that fun to race, they're just meant to be drivers with some pep. I could see the FI guys getting to the point that it's fun, but otherwise its got to be a letdown....like maybe watching womens basketball. These things have what....240-250rwhp? Its just not worth breaking the law for on public streets...sorry.
It's still faster than 95% of the cars out there. So a 350Z is not meant to be race? they have the same engine as ours with the weigh 350z is just few points faster

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I wish I wasn't tempted by every other hard a$$ that wants take on the G