G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Sedan is Motor Trend Car of The Year for 2006?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by soG35
The new Camry is a great car, but saying its better than a G in every category is crazy!

Like the IS350 it goes fast in a straight line but its steering, braking, driving feel is miles apart for the G35.
I said the 07 Camry was better than my G (05) in every respect. That's how it felt to me. But you're right, a blanket statement like that is not fair.

Old 12-02-2006, 05:50 PM
I have driven the new camry and believe me or not.... i tried to convince my wife to get it... lol.... its definitely most improved and better looking camry toyota has ever came out with.... compare that with new G35.... and you will find out the new one is not as improved from the 06 model as 07 camry is from the older generation. In the end that will make a difference....

....and please dont compare any camry with g35.... both are great cars which entertain to different buyers.

Old 12-03-2006, 04:09 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by DaveB
I agree that the new Camry is a great car. It's quick, styled nicely, and has great fit/finish.
Obviously you never even driven a Camry or been in one.

Fit/finish is even worse than the 06 Camry. Many problems with the 07 Camrys from Transmission failures, rattles, sharp edges on door handles, etc.

Read up some on toyotanation.com. I recommend him stay away from the Camry till the problems are resolved.

Old 12-03-2006, 04:13 PM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by G35_TX

Fit/finish is even worse than the 06 Camry. Many problems with the 07 Camrys from Transmission failures, rattles, sharp edges on door handles, etc.

Read up some on toyotanation.com. I recommend him stay away from the Camry till the problems are resolved.
I second this statement as I personally know several people to have purchased the 07 camrys and they seem to be having far more issues than anyone I've known to have with a normal G. I like to think this is due to the camry being manufactured in the U.S. vs the G35 being manufactured in Japan.

Old 12-03-2006, 04:24 PM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
the camry is a nice car but it's still in a different league and quality just went down from years ago.

Old 12-03-2006, 08:06 PM

Wow..I was willing to let this one go until now. I can't believe you guys....pissed off that a Camry beat out the G in a test and knocking it in return??? Pretty pathetic.

The Camry was praised for it's "Lexus like interior", and for those that haven't been in a Lexus, that's a good thing. I have owned 4 VQ cars, including 2 Maximas, 1 Altima, and 1 G....The 2007 Camry is overwhelming superior on the inside, bar none. The perfomance, although not official, is quite close to the G (0-60 in 6.0 according to C&D).

And for posts above about quality issues, don't think so. The car just hit the showrooms in the last 60 days, and the reliability issues have certainly not been tallied. If history dictates, the Camry will be the most trouble free car sold in the US.

My G was full of squeaks and rattles that I didn't experience in the "00 Camaro that I running 10 sec 1/4 miles. And as much as I like my G, the quality was sub par for any car in it's class, and any car that I've owned for $10,000 less. So when a newcomer comes along that is better, be a sport and not a crybaby.

Here's some proof of my claim. Looking forward to proof otherwise......

Toyota, Lexus top most vehicle segments in revised J.D. Power Initial Quality Study.
June 8, 2006; Posted: 9:12 a.m. EDT (1312 GMT)

• Sport • Sedans
• SUVs • Luxury

Toyota and Lexus ranked highest in most vehicle segments in the survey.

This year's scores are not comparable to those of previous years because this year, for the first time, J.D. Power considered design flaws that bother consumers as well as actual defects. Had the ranking been based on defects alone, Lexus would have ranked first and Porsche second.

Vehicle brands can vary widely in the two quality measures.

"For example, BMW vehicles have among the fewest defects and malfunctions, along with Toyota," said Ivers. "But BMW approaches controls and displays in a way that creates some problems for customers, leading to more design-related problems overall than Toyota incurs."

J.D. Power's Initial Qualty Study was based on responses from 63,907 owners and lessees of new 2006 model-year cars and trucks. They were surveyed after 90 days of ownership.

Highest-ranked vehicles
Sub-compact car: Kia Rio/Suzuki Aerio (tie)

Compact car: Toyota Corolla

Compact Sporty Car: Mazda MX-5 Miata

Compact premium sporty car: Porsche Cayman

Entry Premium car: Lexus IS250/IS 350

Midsize Premium Car: Lexus ES330

Large Premium Car: Lexus LS430

Premium Sporty Car: Lexus SC430

Premium Sporty Car: Toyota Solara

Midsize Car: Toyota Camry

Large Car: Pontiac Grand Prix

Compact Multi-activity Vehicle (MAV): Hyundai Tucson

Midsize MAV: Toyota Highlander

Large MAV: Toyota Sequoia

Midsize Premium MAV: Lexus GX470

Large Premium MAV: Lexus LX470

Large Pickup: Chevrolet Silverado LD

Midsize Pickup: Ford Ranger

Van: Chrysler Town & Country

And please, don't respond until you've driven both......

Last edited by DP03; 12-03-2006 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by bythabay
I second this statement as I personally know several people to have purchased the 07 camrys and they seem to be having far more issues than anyone I've known to have with a normal G. I like to think this is due to the camry being manufactured in the U.S. vs the G35 being manufactured in Japan.
More misinformation........

The Camry is entirely built in Japan. The most reliable, trouble free car sold in America 8 years running......

Where do you guys get your misinformation???

Old 12-03-2006, 08:21 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by DP03
More misinformation........

The Camry is entirely built in Japan. The most reliable, trouble free car sold in America 8 years running......

Where do you guys get your misinformation???
Well, actually most US Camry's are built in Kentucky and Indiana per http://wikicars.org/en/Toyota_Camry:
The sixth generation Camry is a completely redesigned model and is assembled at the Toyota plant in Georgetown, Kentucky as well as at Toyota Manufacturing in Japan. Starting in 2007, the Camry will also be manufactured at Subaru's Lafayette, Indiana plant, about 100,000 units per year. In Subaru's plant, Toyota will set up its own machinery and assembly line to manufacture the Camry. A Camry manufactured in Japan is denoted with a VIN starting with "J" as well as a small hatch on the passenger's side of the front bumper, used to secure the vehicle during shipping over the ocean, US made models are denoted with a VIN starting with "4"
Regardless, the fact that it's built in the US reflects nothing on it's reliability. It takes no skill to assemble a late model car. The parts only assemble one way and if there are rattles and fit/finish issues, that is a problem with design, not the person assembling the car.

The Camry has exceptional fit/finish and quality for it's class. It always has and probably always will. I have sat in new Camry's and have rented later generation Camrys and Solaras for work. They're the best built cars I rent and I rent lots of vehicles for work. Regardless of the "issues" the current and prior generation Camrys have, the overall long term dependability of the model has always rank in the top three of it's midsize class.

Last edited by DaveB; 12-03-2006 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB
Well, actually most US Camry's are built in Kentucky and Indiana per http://wikicars.org/en/Toyota_Camry:

Regardless, the fact that it's built in the US reflects nothing on it's reliability. It takes no skill to assemble a late model car. The parts only assemble one way and if there are rattles and fit/finish issues, that is a problem with design, that the person assembling the car.

The Camry has exceptional fit/finish and quality for it's class. It always has and probably always will. I have sat in new Camry's and have rented later generation Camrys and Solaras for work. They're the best built cars I rent and I rent lots of vehicles for work. Regardless of the "issues" the current and prior generation Camrys have, the overall long term dependability of the model has always rank in the top three of it's midsize class.

Dave, I think I stand corrected. I was thinking of another vehicle we were consideriing.. And come to think of it, I'm glad the vehicle we are buying is made here........

I've edited my post above to include some stats.....

To the skeptics, there is no Inifiniti on the above list.....It is completely dominated by Toyota/Lexus (one and the same).

Please only comment if you've spent some time in one of the new models.

Last edited by DP03; 12-03-2006 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dont understand how toyota and lexus dominate that list above....their excellent cars and all but theyre not the only cars on the road....btw, i know about 5 people with 07 camrys and they are UNreliable as of now. transmission problems, suspension problems, and electrical problems to name a few. ooh and my 2 cents.....comparing g35:camry is like comparing TL:maxima.......dont even try. sure, from the publics eye theyre in the same category but any car enthusiast knows its no comparison

Old 12-03-2006, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by g35sedan5at
i dont understand how toyota and lexus dominate that list above....their excellent cars and all but theyre not the only cars on the road....btw, i know about 5 people with 07 camrys and they are UNreliable as of now. transmission problems, suspension problems, and electrical problems to name a few. ooh and my 2 cents.....comparing g35:camry is like comparing TL:maxima.......dont even try. sure, from the publics eye theyre in the same category but any car enthusiast knows its no comparison
Care to elaborate on specific vins?? Because everyone on this board knows that the G is plagued with squeeks and rattles that are uncharacteristic for this class of cars. And if the 07 Camry has these problems, I want to know before delivery. All I've heard so far from reviewers is "Lexus interior" and "best of class" 6 speed transmission.

I'd like any info I can get before the purchase.

Thanks.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:57 PM
Premier Member

Dude we owned two 07 Camrys both bought back from Toyota. Both were POS. The interior is far from Lexus quality. Even worse than some Nissans. This is from damn experience not a damn magazine.

History? Look at all the issues on toyotanation.com people are selling theres, getting rid of them because of all the problems and poor quality. It isn't even funny. Even clublexus.com acknowledges the problems and they don't deny it like you are.

Toyota had over 1 million recalls, the largest of any automaker. Yea that shows quality.

Wow..I was willing to let this one go until now. I can't believe you guys....pissed off that a Camry beat out the G in a test and knocking it in return??? Pretty pathetic.

The Camry was praised for it's "Lexus like interior", and for those that haven't been in a Lexus, that's a good thing. I have owned 4 VQ cars, including 2 Maximas, 1 Altima, and 1 G....The 2007 Camry is overwhelming superior on the inside, bar none. The perfomance, although not official, is quite close to the G (0-60 in 6.0 according to C&D).

And for posts above about quality issues, don't think so. The car just hit the showrooms in the last 60 days, and the reliability issues have certainly not been tallied. If history dictates, the Camry will be the most trouble free car sold in the US.

My G was full of squeaks and rattles that I didn't experience in the "00 Camaro that I running 10 sec 1/4 miles. And as much as I like my G, the quality was sub par for any car in it's class, and any car that I've owned for $10,000 less. So when a newcomer comes along that is better, be a sport and not a crybaby.

Here's some proof of my claim. Looking forward to proof otherwise......

Toyota, Lexus top most vehicle segments in revised J.D. Power Initial Quality Study.
June 8, 2006; Posted: 9:12 a.m. EDT (1312 GMT)

• Sport • Sedans
• SUVs • Luxury

Toyota and Lexus ranked highest in most vehicle segments in the survey.

This year's scores are not comparable to those of previous years because this year, for the first time, J.D. Power considered design flaws that bother consumers as well as actual defects. Had the ranking been based on defects alone, Lexus would have ranked first and Porsche second.

Vehicle brands can vary widely in the two quality measures.

"For example, BMW vehicles have among the fewest defects and malfunctions, along with Toyota," said Ivers. "But BMW approaches controls and displays in a way that creates some problems for customers, leading to more design-related problems overall than Toyota incurs."

J.D. Power's Initial Qualty Study was based on responses from 63,907 owners and lessees of new 2006 model-year cars and trucks. They were surveyed after 90 days of ownership.

Highest-ranked vehicles
Sub-compact car: Kia Rio/Suzuki Aerio (tie)

Compact car: Toyota Corolla

Compact Sporty Car: Mazda MX-5 Miata

Compact premium sporty car: Porsche Cayman

Entry Premium car: Lexus IS250/IS 350

Midsize Premium Car: Lexus ES330

Large Premium Car: Lexus LS430

Premium Sporty Car: Lexus SC430

Premium Sporty Car: Toyota Solara

Midsize Car: Toyota Camry

Large Car: Pontiac Grand Prix

Compact Multi-activity Vehicle (MAV): Hyundai Tucson

Midsize MAV: Toyota Highlander

Large MAV: Toyota Sequoia

Midsize Premium MAV: Lexus GX470

Large Premium MAV: Lexus LX470

Large Pickup: Chevrolet Silverado LD

Midsize Pickup: Ford Ranger

Van: Chrysler Town & Country

And please, don't respond until you've driven both......

Old 12-03-2006, 09:58 PM
Premier Member

Care to elaborate on specific vins?? Because everyone on this board knows that the G is plagued with squeeks and rattles that are uncharacteristic for this class of cars. And if the 07 Camry has these problems, I want to know before delivery. All I've heard so far from reviewers is "Lexus interior" and "best of class" 6 speed transmission.

I'd like any info I can get before the purchase.

Thanks.
Vin's,. all of 07s are having the problem. Japan/American built Camrys. It's on Toyotanation.com.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:59 PM
Premier Member

Oh one other thing. Read MSN, Yahoo, autos reviews from consumers. You will seee a ton of complaints.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Oh one other thing. Read MSN, Yahoo, autos reviews from consumers. You will seee a ton of complaints.
It's really sad to see a defiante person that has lost a contest to someone that thought he had the best of the best. Deal with it......
I could make the same arguement with my Charger, but I haven't up to this point. But if you want to be a *****.....

More room, front and back, than the G. The Charger can truely handle five comfortably.....(the G's back seat is like a Civic)
More HP, across the board. I ran a 13.18 stock.
Better road manners at any speed. And at speeds the G could only dream of (170+)

More trunk room
Way better stereo (Kickier with separate Sub) Give me a break with the Bose.
A real Nav.

So to recap, give me one advantage of the G...........that's going to be a tough one.

Oh, and maybe you need to brush up on your reading skills....

"Please only comment if you've spent some time in one of the new models."

Last edited by DP03; 12-03-2006 at 10:19 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sedan is Motor Trend Car of The Year for 2006?