G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

4x4 service on AWD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 service on AWD

Hello - I've got a 05 G35X and the last time I brought my car in for service, they told me I should get the 4x4 service on my car. Has anybody gone through one of these? I'm not exactly sure what it entails, but it's ~$380 to get it done. I plan on getting a better definition from them but wanted to see if anybody knows whats involved first before I get oversold by the service dept.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:52 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would guess maybe Front final drive differential gear oil change... or check the front drive shaft seals, etc

Let us know

Old 11-29-2007, 10:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm guessing its front and rear differential fluid change along with the transfer case.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MidnightG35X
I'm guessing its front and rear differential fluid change along with the transfer case.

Off topic, but woah.... you are in Cedar Rapids? That is where I am originally from. We should have an Iowa G35 meet sometime.. hehe. It would probably be just us.

I wonder if I have seen your car around.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:44 AM
Xer
Agreed, front + Rear diff, as well as transfer case. I just had it done, went to my Subaru dealer(most convenient and my tech is a Nissan master tech.) I think this portion was around $250+-

Old 12-04-2007, 01:20 PM
Yup. You guys had it right. Front/Rear Diff fluid flush and change. Not a mandatory service but recommended. With the holidays coming up, probably something that I'll do in the new year.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Where is the front differential drain/refill? Anyone have pictures?

Once it gets warmer, I will be attempting coolant / auto trans / differential / transfer drain and refill.

I've only done oil change so far so I haven't really checked where all the other drain plugs are. I know the rear differential is that pumpkin that you lift the rear up. Coolant drain plug can be twisted off by a philips so should be easy to locate.

Also, need to look for the a/t drain plug. I have the infiniti manual and it shows all the pictures except the front differential / auto trans drain

Old 01-13-2009, 04:59 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
you guy's idea is a little off from mines.

when a dealer says 4x4 service on the AWD, i would just think its the transfer fluid flush or drain and fill.

because they didn't say complete flush, the front would be consider transmission and the rear is rear diff flush. The dealership will always add these on. I can be wrong but most dealerships work this way. like the 30k normally covers just a rear diff flush, but the front and transfer case is an additional XXX $

Old 01-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
you guy's idea is a little off from mines.

when a dealer says 4x4 service on the AWD, i would just think its the transfer fluid flush or drain and fill.

because they didn't say complete flush, the front would be consider transmission and the rear is rear diff flush. The dealership will always add these on. I can be wrong but most dealerships work this way. like the 30k normally covers just a rear diff flush, but the front and transfer case is an additional XXX $
What have you done on yours so far? I have an 05x just like you. I have 29k miles and haven't done any of these (transfer/diff/auto trans/coolant).

Old 01-13-2009, 05:46 PM
I haven't done anything because i'm not going to pay a dealership $300 to do 1 or maybe 3 flushs.

I can do everything myself at the cost of fluids and about an hour to two hours each, Once summer comes around. I have 39k right now. But i'll be doing all the flushs, MidnightG35X gave me a simple outline of how much fluid i need of everything, doing all the flushes i can over 1 weekend is sure to be about $600-800 at the dealership, all 3 trans, brake, coolant, powersteering ( maybe) along with that new filters and i'll pull a plug to see they look at 40k

Old 01-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by mikeee2
Where is the front differential drain/refill? Anyone have pictures?

Once it gets warmer, I will be attempting coolant / auto trans / differential / transfer drain and refill.

I've only done oil change so far so I haven't really checked where all the other drain plugs are. I know the rear differential is that pumpkin that you lift the rear up. Coolant drain plug can be twisted off by a philips so should be easy to locate.

Also, need to look for the a/t drain plug. I have the infiniti manual and it shows all the pictures except the front differential / auto trans drain
Here's a pic of the front diff. White arrow is fill plug and red arrow is drain plug. Note both plugs location in relation to the oil filter.

The rear differential for future searches:

Old 01-13-2009, 10:52 PM
What fluid do you put in the front and rear diffs.

My other car takes special VTM fluid, but i think i read the Infiniti just uses normal ATF and not gear oil?

Is this true for both Front and Rear diff? Transfer would then be gear oil?

What weights and brand/type do you guys use, since i guess infiniti dosn't force one on you.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
I haven't done anything because i'm not going to pay a dealership $300 to do 1 or maybe 3 flushs.

I can do everything myself at the cost of fluids and about an hour to two hours each, Once summer comes around. I have 39k right now. But i'll be doing all the flushs, MidnightG35X gave me a simple outline of how much fluid i need of everything, doing all the flushes i can over 1 weekend is sure to be about $600-800 at the dealership, all 3 trans, brake, coolant, powersteering ( maybe) along with that new filters and i'll pull a plug to see they look at 40k
You mind sharing MidnightG35X's simple outline?

Old 01-13-2009, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by Unherd
Here's a pic of the front diff. White arrow is fill plug and red arrow is drain plug. Note both plugs location in relation to the oil filter.
You da man! So it's right in the front. Didn't notice the last time I did oil change.

You wouldn't have pics for transfer and at/t drain would you?

Last edited by mikeee2; 01-13-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:51 AM
Originally Posted by mikeee2
You mind sharing MidnightG35X's simple outline?
he made a post somewhere on it. I dont recall off the topic of my head but it was a break down of a 30k or something. It wasn't too long about maybe 1-2 months since he posted it. I'll link it here if i can find it again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 4x4 service on AWD