G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Taillight Mod in the works!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 10:58 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by RPL
Looks better than I had imagined! May I request a video? :-D
I haven’t had time to take vid after paint, just the quick photos... I plan to take day and night vids with turn signal, brake light, etc... I'll post when I can get it done... There is a vid of the LEDs blinking (prior to paint) earlier in this thread... but I understand its better to see with everything compete - so I'll get it posted as soon as I can.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was thinking about doing this mod to the G sedan, but its a good thing I didn't....the wife decided that she would rather have a 350Z. So we bought one yesterday. Its a 2003 Performance, which comes with the regular bulb tail lamps. One of the first mods on my list is to upgrade to the 06+ LED tails, and I'll probably end up doing this mod to them (if it works), so that the turn signals in the rear bumper don't light up but the tail lamps blink.

Kevin (sorry, I was tired), I assume this mod will work with the 350Z LED tails as well?

Last edited by GixxerSteve; 05-09-2008 at 02:45 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by GixxerSteve
I was thinking about doing this mod to the G sedan, but its a good thing I didn't....the wife decided that she would rather have a 350Z. So we bought one yesterday. Its a 2003 Performance, which comes with the regular bulb tail lamps. One of the first mods on my list is to upgrade to the 06+ LED tails, and I'll probably end up doing this mod to them (if it works), so that the turn signals in the rear bumper don't light up but the tail lamps blink.

Jason, I assume this mod will work with the 350Z LED tails as well?
who's Jason?... do you mean Kevin? or me, Mike?... I'm not sure, but Kevin should know... I imagine if the exact same module didn’t work, it would only take minor tweaks to make it work for the Z - Kevin can do that I'm sure... but I'll let him confirm.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:25 PM
a quick update guys... I didn’t realize till this weekend that the taillights stay on in every gear other than park (even when the headlights are completely off)... I was unaware because I always looked at them while in park...

I was trying to get a vid while driving and when I re-played thats when I realized they are on... I spoke to Kevin - seems to be a quick & easy fix - but I need to check a couple things out tonight with the electrical guy... if it's what we are thinking, future modules won’t have this problem - as Kevin already has the fix planned (if the problem is what he thinks it might be)...

Will post progress...

Old 05-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Quick update… there was a bit of voltage back-feed from module to BCM and between modules – remedy was 3 diodes, one from BCM to modules and one between each module… all is perfect now.

Good thing I tried to video everything – otherwise I may have never known this… I verified everything by looking at it all while car was in park (obviously I can’t see the rear when I’m driving)… when the ignition is on and the car is in gear, that’s when the voltage back-feed occurred…

I think it’s all dialed in now.

At least all the bugs are getting worked out for anyone else that may do this down the road...

Old 05-09-2008, 10:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what was the total cost/time this took? I really wanna do something like this. It looks awesome. I was already thinkin of swapping my tails to the 05's. But seeing this... i really wanna keep my triple row tails now.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:26 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GixxerSteve

Kevin (sorry, I was tired), I assume this mod will work with the 350Z LED tails as well?
It should work with no issues, however its never been tested!

Old 05-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by JissenKenbuu
So what was the total cost/time this took? I really wanna do something like this. It looks awesome. I was already thinkin of swapping my tails to the 05's. But seeing this... i really wanna keep my triple row tails now.
for me it took a lot more $$$$ and time than it would for you - since the trial and error is behind us... I don’t even want to mention how much it cost (I never planned to spend that much for this kind of mod)... as for time, it took months – but it should only take you a few hours for install and however long paint takes (depends on shop, a couple days is reasonable).

Kevin had a GB on the module I think for $100 - it might have ended though... you'd have to ask him how much it is now (less than what I paid)... painting the tails (including the smoke) was $250 - your price could be higher or lower, depends on your shop (a DIY paint is possible I suppose)...

Install can be a DIY - it's very doable - I have been working with an auto electric guy since this is new - it's a good thing because of the bugs that were worked out...

So really it's hard to say how much it would cost overall... depends on how much you do yourself. But without a doubt much less than I spent… Very possible to do for $500 or less all together I would imagine… actually it’s possible to do for under $200 if you DIY.

Edit: I just remembered... Bluebatmobile's overlays are a VERY GOOD option to paint... that would cut at least $200 off the total... I still think Kevin and Andy should team a package deal together...

Old 05-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Banned
The price for the module purchased now would be $125 plus shipping.

$25 of that would go to OCG35 to help cover the engineering costs he paid up front.

To date, we've only sold two of them!

Old 05-10-2008, 06:36 PM
I was thinkin of doing this to the twin cirlcle led tails.

Giving it a true skyline look.

I work at nissan so i gues discount on tons of things. Paint i could probly get done for next to nothing. I am just wondering all of the things you need plusprices basiclly. I do wonder though why you guys dont sell a kit for this mod. You could make quite abit of money. It is truely unique and you should be proud of the job you did.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by KPierson
The price for the module purchased now would be $125 plus shipping.

$25 of that would go to OCG35 to help cover the engineering costs he paid up front.

To date, we've only sold two of them!
Kevin, thanks for pricing for R&D payment... but honestly, I'm just happy they turned out the way I had envisioned... so frankly, I'd be perfectly content letting other guys that like the mod get the $25 discount and forgo the repay.

Thanks for considering me though - all the added phone support you've given is re-pay enough.

I hope to see the mod on some other cars - I think it's cool and sets us apart a bit

Old 05-29-2008, 03:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OCG35
Quick update… there was a bit of voltage back-feed from module to BCM and between modules – remedy was 3 diodes, one from BCM to modules and one between each module… all is perfect now.

Good thing I tried to video everything – otherwise I may have never known this… I verified everything by looking at it all while car was in park (obviously I can’t see the rear when I’m driving)… when the ignition is on and the car is in gear, that’s when the voltage back-feed occurred…

I think it’s all dialed in now.

At least all the bugs are getting worked out for anyone else that may do this down the road...
OC and/or Kevin,

Is there an update on this module? Were the "bugs" worked out, or are there still issues to be worked out?

Also, how easy is this to install? I am pretty understanding of electronics, but is this expert install territory?

Old 05-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Banned
To my knowledge this module is working perfectly in OC's car.

The install isn't too bad, the biggest "issue" is finding constant power. OC's installer tapped in to the rear window defroster power feed.

I would say this is no where near "expert" territory. Connect power, connect ground, locate the turn signal wire and tap it, locate the brake light wire and cut and splice it, and thats it.

OC chose to cover the turn signal bulbs with aluminum foil to keep the light from flashing, yet keep the turn signal system happy. You may or may not be able to find a suitable power resistor to replace the light with.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Yes, it is working great… I’ve done a few additional things – the jmonsale mod, which is reverse light red when parking lights are on and the rear side markers blink – will post pics or vid soon (hopefully).

As for the module specific to this thread – as Kevin stated, wiring to continuous power (either Bose amp or rear defrost) and follow the instructions sent with the module… the issue of covering the OEM blinker bulb with foil was actually the easiest way to accomplish what I was looking for… you can wire resistors or leave them blinking – it all depends on what effect you are after.

Edit: I see Gee was asking about the voltage feedback... I'm not sure if Kevin has a solution to wire within the module, but the diodes mentioned a few posts up did the trick and everything is fine. It's actually very cool and I can't wait to get a vid posted for you guys.

Last edited by OCG35; 05-29-2008 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
Finally finished the mod! Cat ears are gone forever!!!

that looks sick man, nicee!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Taillight Mod in the works!