G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06-15/)
-   -   How permantly turn off auto dimming mirror? (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06/225874-how-permantly-turn-off-auto-dimming-mirror.html)

glocker99 06-07-2008 12:16 AM

How permantly turn off auto dimming mirror?

I hate the auto dimming mirror, but i love the homelink for the garage door opener. Is there a way to permanently disable the auto dimming without...

1. unplugging the circuit and then losing the homelink feature?
2. turning off the mirror by hand every night?

Is there a sensor i can cover up? i cant seem to find it. There is one sensor on back of the mirror, that faces the front of the car, but that doesnt seem to do anything about lights coming from behind me.

Thoughts?

speedracerg35 06-07-2008 12:17 AM

paint the sensor lens black with touch up paint. is i remember correctly, it should be a little clear square right next to the green light.

JC-RH 06-07-2008 12:29 AM

there must be a better way. I too hate this feature. I turn it off EVERY single time I get in the car...day or night. I have limo tints, which makes it tough to see, even during the day. Anyone else care to chime in??

speedracerg35 06-07-2008 12:32 AM

i would imagine you can figure out which wire is the hot wire for the dimmer and cut it at the plug.

glocker99 06-07-2008 09:06 PM

On the front of the mirror there are two clear squares. the first is a green light. after the second home icon. the next one over after the third icon, never turns on. I'm assuming that that one is the sensor for teh dimming?

i dont want to paint it black as i would kinda like it to be reversable down the line. Coudlnt i cover it up with black duck or electircal tape? I'd make it look as natural as possible. If i cut the wires to the rearview, i lose the homelink functionality. I really dotn want to start cutting wires.

I wasn't sure if that square on the front was it or if the sensor was somehow built behind the rear view mirror glass. I've tried covering it up with my finger and shined a flashlight and into it and it still dims.

glocker99 06-07-2008 09:57 PM

It Worked!

On the rear view mirror there are two boxes. One is lit green, the other is not.

I put a piece of black duct tape over the square one not lit, and drove around (it's obviously night now). Cars were behind me and it did not dim. I quickly pulled the tape off and then it dimmed. Then put the tape back on and it went back to normal.

So that's the trick. Cover up the second box. Now i wont have to manually turn it off every time i drive at night. Hope this benefits others too.

cpthk 06-08-2008 05:43 AM

Why you guys hate that feature? I love that feature, it make the light not that strong to affect me driving. It's so good that sometimes I can even see what is it at the back at night time.

itgogitrev 06-08-2008 03:47 PM

I like the idea, but I don't like how it just turns it blue. If it just turned it black, that'd be great.

glocker99 06-08-2008 04:56 PM

yeah i hate it. i have this subconscious thing when i drive that i have to know the kind of car behind me. I also look at oncoming cars too. Mostly I am looking for LEO's with their wrap around headlights on the caprice/crown vic's.

When my mirror dims, everything turns greenish and i lose the ability to see detail on the car behind me. It's all kinda blurry.

itgogitrev 06-08-2008 10:22 PM

Same here. We have crown vics. They're easy to spot, just look for the 'waffles.'