G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Impressions after driving a lowered G Sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 10:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
It handles like a F1 car
Oh. Driven one, have you? Or anything even CLOSE?

Old 11-27-2008, 10:42 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by dmitriylm
The ride is not "jarring" over poor surfaces which would be evidence of a shock bottoming out. Rough ride does not always equal a shock riding on its bump stops. I know what a shock bottoming out feels like, what I'm experiencing is not it.
Look in your wheel wells and note how much upwards travel you have. Simply looking at the coil gaps will tell you this. The reason your ride is bad is:

1) You're on the bumpstops on certain bumps
2) Your shocks aren't able to dampen the movement springs

Old 11-27-2008, 02:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DaveB
Look in your wheel wells and note how much upwards travel you have. Simply looking at the coil gaps will tell you this. The reason your ride is bad is:

1) You're on the bumpstops on certain bumps
2) Your shocks aren't able to dampen the movement springs
I have a good understanding of how a vehicles suspension operates. I also know what it feels like when the shock is riding its bump stops. I have yet to experience this with my spring setup. I'm not saying its impossible, I'm sure if I find a pot hole deep enough I'll run into some troubles, but from my daily driving the bump stops are not an issue.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im on stance coilovers and im not even dumpt and the ride feels pretty bad for my passengers. The reason I've kept it this long was because it looks great.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:55 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by AARONHL
I have no complaints with my Hotchkis 350z springs. Gave me just under a 2" drop and I can drive anywhere.
Oh lord! I have the "unrevised 350Z" springs f/r and it gave me a perfect 1" drop. At 2", I would be in big trouble where I drive.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:38 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
G
Originally Posted by cremaster
i think essentially any spring that is shorter than the OEM ones will compromise the OEM struts, which will vary according to the drop.
yes, i understand that, but i'm specifically referring to h-techs.
how much am i subtracting from their normal operating life?
what is the span of their normal operating life?

Old 11-28-2008, 05:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xx7sephiroth7xx
yes, i understand that, but i'm specifically referring to h-techs.
how much am i subtracting from their normal operating life?
what is the span of their normal operating life?
Operating life is heavily dependant on road conditions and can't be predicted.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:05 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I went to opposite direction, when my tires wore out, I put on 225/60's on stock rims. It raised the car about 5/8 of an inch (not noticeable) but also meant that it would take less revolutions per mile, thus giving me 1-2 miles more per gallon (I get 27-28 highway on very hilly terrain and 21-23 city). The most fascinating part is that the car somehow still looks classy, sporty, refined and "sexy." The 225's also filled out the wheel well, which is one reason most folks drop their cars.

I've never really fully understood the need to drop the G or add $$$$$$ in fanciful bling.... it could be that there are 2-3 developmental milestone differences between myself (over 1/2 century old) and most guys on the forum (<35 years old). Dropping the car seems to be about as sensible as "**** on a boar hog!" with the identical practicality, appeal and ego-gratification as the very fashionable, mens 3" platform shoes in the mid 1970's.

Attached Images    

Last edited by Braintree; 11-28-2008 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:24 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Some like the looks lowered, but I'm more practical, I have three good reasons: handling, handling and handling. (I also think a 1" drop does look good.)

If you value ride comfort over cornering control, your choice of stock height and tall tires makes absolute sense. When I have passengers I wish I could press a button and change back to stock ride.

I'd be driving a Porsche 911 if it weren't for the daily school run. (and I lowered my last 911 too.)

Of course I do like to drive occasional track days.

Originally Posted by Braintree
I went to opposite direction, when my tires wore out, I put on 225/60's on stock rims. It raised the car about 5/8 of an inch (not noticeable) but also meant that it would take less revolutions per mile, thus giving me 1-2 miles more per gallon (I get 27-28 highway on very hilly terrain and 21-23 city). The most fascinating part is that the car somehow still looks classy, sporty, refined and "sexy." The 225's also filled out the wheel well, which is one reason most folks drop their cars.

I've never really fully understood the need to drop the G or add $$$$$$ in fanciful bling.... it could be that there are 2-3 developmental milestone differences between myself (over 1/2 century old) and most guys on the forum (<35 years old). Dropping the car seems to be about as sensible as "**** on a boar hog!" with the identical practicality, appeal and ego-gratification as the very fashionable, mens 3" platform shoes in the mid 1970's.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:36 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by xx7sephiroth7xx
so Dave, are the 350z H-techs alright with the OEM shocks?
or will the life of my shocks be decreased?
How far does the Z H-tech drop a Z? If it drops the Z at all, then it's too much drop for the OEM G shocks to handle reliably or effectively. If it's a 1.5-2.0 drop, you're front shocks will probably be worn out within 10K to 20K miles and the rears will wear a bit quicker.

Then there's the question of handling. A drop doesn't necessarily improved handling. A 1" drop isn't too much of a big deal, but anything beyond that and you greatly compromise the geometry and roll center of the car. A 2" drop really screws things up unless you correct all the geometry, roll bar stiffness, add more wheel travel, and add shocks that can the drop and spring rat. The suspension is designed to operate at a certain static height. When you change that, the roll center and geometry gets really out of wack. The result is a slow reacting suspension, uncontrolled initial roll, uncontrolled spring dampening, excessive understeer, snap oversteer, etc. When people install springs, many assume the handling has improved a lot because the car doesn't roll (total) as much as it did. Roll has very little to do with overall handling. I can guarantee that a G with a 2" drop or a Z with a 1" drop does not handle as well as stock.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by g35freak86
Hey bro, where are you in NJ? I've never seen your car around. Im in monmouth county. Got the same setup (z suspension springs/coupe rears on coupe 19's), but my g is an 03 brilliant silver
I'm usually in somerset county/middlesex county (edison, nj). Sometimes down by East Windsor at the GF's place. I just got the car 3 weeks ago so you probably haven't seen me yet. I still want to hear your exhaust.

BACK ON TOPIC:
Z/G coupe suspension is what I think the best of both worlds...I think if you can live with the slight gap i'd def. give it a try. It doesn't cost much anyways and someone will always want it if you don't want it anymore

Old 11-28-2008, 05:55 PM
I drive my car and I went to the canyons yesterday and my car fit the road perfectly, with the Neo gens I'll get it will fill the gap alittle more, which Im fine with. I will buy c/o for it , its just a motter of getting a killer deal.