G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

OFFICIAL "What Mods Should I Buy?" Sedan Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 06:15 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
OFFICIAL "What Mods Should I Buy?" Sedan Thread

Kernel had a great idea with this in the coupe section and I think we need one too.

If you have general questions about what mods you should get next, post them up here.

For questions about specific mods, please see the TECH area and SEDAN FAQ.

The following 3 users liked this post by ttrank:
apardo95 (08-29-2013), Pals4life (07-19-2012), RedStage (04-16-2013)
Old 02-26-2009, 06:16 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Subscribed...

Old 02-26-2009, 07:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is perfect.
How about I start it off, because I was planning on doing this anyway.
First off, I'll say I'm in love with my new, for me at least, Black Obsidian 05 G35x.

Still I want to start modding as soon as the spring rolls around.
The first few things I plan on doing, is for sure getting some black rims, and some blackbatmobile overlays for the headlight and tail light.
As for the rims, my budget isn't that great, and as a 16 year old having to pay for it all myself, I do not think it'll get to great haha. I'm at the moment look at some Stern wheels and tire package I found on ebay, its around 1300 so if anyone has any suggestions for something near there thats glossy black. I'd love it.

But after those two things, I'm pretty much just jumping all over.
After my wheels I'm gonna have to save up a bit, but I'm not sure whats worth it and whats not. Especially not being too automotivly inclined.
I really would love a new exhaust because I really want a good deep, loud sound, or to drop the car.
Both those things are really expensive though it seems.
So if any of you guys can help something for that, I'd appreciated it also.
I would also want to do something performance stuff if I could, but theres so much, I heard people talking bout spacers, or pop chargers, and ztubes, and I really don't understand any of it. haha
So pretty much, i'd prolly like to go best bang for the buck.

Thanks, I know I basiclly don't know anything. haha
P.S. I read alot on the site, and have looked through the stickies, but I always get confused with having the X what I can and can not actually do.

Thanks again,
Alex

The following users liked this post:
Flatline_401 (11-30-2020)
Old 02-26-2009, 07:19 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Dude, as a fellow teen with a modded sedan (im 17) shoot me a pm with any specific questions. I have msot of the things you listed, done on my car and would be happy to answer any specific questions about them.

Shoot me a pm though. Im too lazy to post it all up in this thread right now. i'll do it in a bit.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone with OEM 19's that have only about 1" gap in both front and back can share what suspension set up they have? I hate the gap in the front!!! I was thinking coupe springs in rear and Z springs in front, or coupe springs in front and stock in rear. I just want to make sure ride quality is not changed (I don't want the balance messed up). I have an 03 and I don't have sport suspension.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:16 PM
ill Sedan

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,448 Posts
Originally Posted by FrEsHaZzBuRu
Can anyone with OEM 19's that have only about 1" gap in both front and back can share what suspension set up they have? I hate the gap in the front!!! I was thinking coupe springs in rear and Z springs in front, or coupe springs in front and stock in rear. I just want to make sure ride quality is not changed (I don't want the balance messed up). I have an 03 and I don't have sport suspension.

A couple of pics from when I was dropped on Eibach Pro Kit Springs. I had 2 fingers gap in the rear and 1+ in the front. Supposed to be an even drop (1.1" F/R), but my front was a little lower (and I also ran 245/40 up front so it filled in the wheel gap more).

Name:  12242007_SideProfileLarge.jpg
Views: 4374
Size:  62.6 KB

The following 2 users liked this post by CandlestickPark:
CyrusTheVirus72 (03-31-2021), Infiniti_G35x (09-19-2016)
Old 02-26-2009, 08:20 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex2x3
This is perfect.
How about I start it off, because I was planning on doing this anyway.
First off, I'll say I'm in love with my new, for me at least, Black Obsidian 05 G35x.

Still I want to start modding as soon as the spring rolls around.
The first few things I plan on doing, is for sure getting some black rims, and some blackbatmobile overlays for the headlight and tail light.
As for the rims, my budget isn't that great, and as a 16 year old having to pay for it all myself, I do not think it'll get to great haha. I'm at the moment look at some Stern wheels and tire package I found on ebay, its around 1300 so if anyone has any suggestions for something near there thats glossy black. I'd love it.

But after those two things, I'm pretty much just jumping all over.
After my wheels I'm gonna have to save up a bit, but I'm not sure whats worth it and whats not. Especially not being too automotivly inclined.
I really would love a new exhaust because I really want a good deep, loud sound, or to drop the car.
Both those things are really expensive though it seems.
So if any of you guys can help something for that, I'd appreciated it also.
I would also want to do something performance stuff if I could, but theres so much, I heard people talking bout spacers, or pop chargers, and ztubes, and I really don't understand any of it. haha
So pretty much, i'd prolly like to go best bang for the buck.

Thanks, I know I basiclly don't know anything. haha
P.S. I read alot on the site, and have looked through the stickies, but I always get confused with having the X what I can and can not actually do.

Thanks again,
Alex
Okay, heres my advice.

As far as black wheels go, every set i can think of is over a grand. Not including tires. What would i do? Get coupe 19" rims and have them painted yourself. They usually go for $900-1000 with tires and you can some times get them cheaper. They are an awesome rim and what im running. I posted a pic below.

Exhaust. What i am running is an HKS axleback muffler which was $360 shipped. Not too bad for an exhaust. Then get a coupe midpipe and an 350z HR y-pipe.

Spacers are a little ring shaped thing that you put under your upper plenum. Gives you around 10-15hp. Its definatly worth it. I am running a 5/16th copper plenum Motorcyne spacer (copper for cold states). They are around $220-$250.

Z-tube and JWT pop charger is the best intake if you want sound without losing power. Most intakes lose power on this car because it has such an efficient airbox as is. This is about the same power, but sounds just epic.

Xs, not sure. My dad has one, but i dont mod it.

Hope this helps you.
Originally Posted by FrEsHaZzBuRu
Z springs up front and coupe springs in the back. Try and find the red sport suspension struts. Your non sport ones will wear very quickly if you run them with these springs. The reason the sport oens wont wear out is because they are setup for them.

Heres 2 pics of my car with this setup on coupe 19s.
Name:  DSC_0168.jpg
Views: 4512
Size:  63.4 KB
Name:  DSC_0181.jpg
Views: 4399
Size:  70.4 KB

Hope this helps anyone!

The following 3 users liked this post by Wannabe6MT:
islandrida (02-18-2013), NewG35owner2013 (01-24-2013), stephen90 (08-17-2011)
Old 02-27-2009, 06:37 AM
That eibach kit looks real nice, but it's a little too low in the front for me.

Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
My rear gap is about as much as this picture's front gap.

I like the ride height of the Z/Coupe springs, but the rear is still lower than the front. What if I went with just Coupe spring in the front and stock rear? Or what if I went with Z springs in the front and stock rear? I know I should search but I'm hoping off the top of someone's head they would know if the spring rates would be compatible.

Thanks for everyone's help.

PS. I was behind a black 06 twice tonight. Man I love those tails! I'm so envious!!!

My future mods would be Nismo aero kit, trunk lip spoiler, 06 tails and, and maybe blacked out bezels.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Where did you get your z-tube and jwt pop charger setup?

The first post mentioned Stern wheels. I was also thinking about getting these since they have a great price (500 shipped).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

Anyone have any input on those? My 2005 G35x is bonestock right now, so I'd like to throw those rims on, no idea what kind of tires to get and then start with the intake. Anyone have advice on tires...I don't need anything too performance oriented...just something that looks good, has good traction in wet weather and doesn't wear out in 5,000 miles. Any help would be appreciated!

Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
Okay, heres my advice.

As far as black wheels go, every set i can think of is over a grand. Not including tires. What would i do? Get coupe 19" rims and have them painted yourself. They usually go for $900-1000 with tires and you can some times get them cheaper. They are an awesome rim and what im running. I posted a pic below.

Exhaust. What i am running is an HKS axleback muffler which was $360 shipped. Not too bad for an exhaust. Then get a coupe midpipe and an 350z HR y-pipe.

Spacers are a little ring shaped thing that you put under your upper plenum. Gives you around 10-15hp. Its definatly worth it. I am running a 5/16th copper plenum Motorcyne spacer (copper for cold states). They are around $220-$250.

Z-tube and JWT pop charger is the best intake if you want sound without losing power. Most intakes lose power on this car because it has such an efficient airbox as is. This is about the same power, but sounds just epic.

Xs, not sure. My dad has one, but i dont mod it.

Hope this helps you.

Z springs up front and coupe springs in the back. Try and find the red sport suspension struts. Your non sport ones will wear very quickly if you run them with these springs. The reason the sport oens wont wear out is because they are setup for them.

Hope this helps anyone!

Old 02-27-2009, 12:21 PM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts
Great thread

Old 02-27-2009, 12:34 PM
Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Subscribed too!

Old 02-27-2009, 03:13 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex2x3
I'm at the moment look at some Stern wheels and tire package I found on ebay, its around 1300 so if anyone has any suggestions for something near there thats glossy black.
I know they are marketed as JDM and were originally made in Japan for the first few years of the brand's name. But now, they are made in China with no regulations to meet (about 6 years ago, they were made in Taiwan, so the quality was much better then)

Get something else...

Last edited by dofu; 02-27-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Gevers35 (03-08-2015)
Old 02-27-2009, 03:42 PM
Grocery getter

As for the intake, JWT and Stillen both make a little power (~1hp JWT and 2-3 for Stillen). The Spacer is a much better option and if you don't care about the intake sound, just go with a K&N, Amsoil or other drop in filter that will work just as well.

I agree on the HKS exhaust, it's by far the best option for looks and sound. If you want performance, go with the Borla or Stillen to keep a clean look, Megan and a few others are louder but still give some power. Check out Papa's exhaust thread for more details (link).

The oem 19's painted black are a great option for a nice looking, high quality wheel for a good price. In fact, there are some painted black ones in the marketplace right now for a low price. Not sure if they sold yet or not...

j.smooth (05-13-2016)
Old 02-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Aren't the coup 19's staggered?

If so not reccomended for an X.. right?

Old 02-27-2009, 06:15 PM
Grocery getter

Originally Posted by MJION
Aren't the coup 19's staggered?

If so not reccomended for an X.. right?

Only by 3mm offset and 0.5" width. You can run the same size tires on them and be fine. 245/35/19 or 245/40/19 are good choices.

JFletch (03-16-2013)

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL "What Mods Should I Buy?" Sedan Thread