G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06-15/)
-   -   automatics... (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06/315940-automatics.html)

JoeSage 11-22-2009 03:27 AM

automatics...

So i know having an automatic makes me a little slower on a quarter mile, and im assuming most of it is due to the launch that manuals can do...all ive seen anyone do to compensate is hold their brake down while keeping the rpms at around 2 before gassing it. Any other mods or suggestions to help with this? (dont really have the money for a tranny swap)

also, i love the manual mode in this car, despite their being a lag, but ive driven it so much i just learn to time it right. After the launch, do u guys thing this manual mode is faster than actual manual cars?

JOKER 11-22-2009 04:59 AM

there is no sense in getting AT and then trying to make it run like 6MT.

You got AT for specific reasons so enjoy it and accept that you are slower than MT.

You not gonna get any better unless you do some real modding (VB upgrade and such)

Blue Dream 11-22-2009 06:01 AM

+1 to Joker's advice. One mod you might consider is swapping out your differential to one with 3.5 gears. This will give you better low end acceleration but not necessarily faster 1/4 mile times.

Mustang5L5 11-22-2009 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by JoeSage (Post 4711826)
So i know having an automatic makes me a little slower on a quarter mile, and im assuming most of it is due to the launch that manuals can do...all ive seen anyone do to compensate is hold their brake down while keeping the rpms at around 2 before gassing it. Any other mods or suggestions to help with this? (dont really have the money for a tranny swap)

also, i love the manual mode in this car, despite their being a lag, but ive driven it so much i just learn to time it right. After the launch, do u guys thing this manual mode is faster than actual manual cars?

The major difference between manuals and automatics is the larger parasitic HP loss through the drivetrain. Autos rob more power than manuals.

Take an engine making 300HP, and measure the power to the wheels and the auto will usually make less power than a manual. Also, in most setups, an automatic trans is usually nearly twice as heavy as a manual in the same car.

Gear ratios can also differ.

For drag racing, a built auto is usually the way to go in a dedicated drag car...reason being more consistency on the launch and with shifting. Manuals are technically faster, but go to the track and look inside serious 10 second or quicker cars...99% will run some form of Automatic transmission.

DaveB 11-22-2009 12:12 PM

Remember, the 5AT in this car is not like a power sucking undergeared Honda tranny. The 5AT cars put down about 10whp/10wtq less than the 6MT which isn't going to make a huge difference. The gearing isn't significantly taller than the 6MTs, especially when you consider the initial torque multiplication advantage of the torque converter for the first 1 second of launch.

My 5AT 03 sedan did low 14.3-14.4@98mph with a z-tube (doesn't add any power) which is better than most 6MTs with the same mods. There are some 5ATs that have done 14.2s basically stock. Basically, the 6MT is going to see about a .1 second and 1mph advantage in the 1/4 mile assuming the 6MT driver is pretty good. At speeds above 110mph or so, it will be quicker due to the gearing advantage and pumping losses of the 5AT.

To say that the 5AT is significantly slower is simply not true. I have never had concerns going up against 6MT Gs at the strip and often times I post better ET/MPHs because the car is so much easier to launch (mid/low 2.1 60 foots are easy) and far more consistent.

Years ago, Car & Driver got a 14.4@96mph out of the 05 G35X. That's only .2 second slower than what they got out of the 6MT sedan of the same year.

JoeSage 11-22-2009 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by JOKER (Post 4711855)
there is no sense in getting AT and then trying to make it run like 6MT.

You got AT for specific reasons so enjoy it and accept that you are slower than MT.

You not gonna get any better unless you do some real modding (VB upgrade and such)

I do agree. I love the auto. (My gf has a jetta that i use if i feel like the auto gets boring) but it makes daily driving a lot easier, and because i live in a small college town, lots of stopping and going and PLENTY of hills.

My main purpose was just to see what supporting things i could do with the auto that help. Ive heard of something that will not put me into gear on an auto until about 3 rpm, but that would be annoying to drive with. I dont recall what that is specifically though

NFSP G35 11-22-2009 03:52 PM

My cousin is very good with a manual, and he still screwed up a couple of runs when we had a track day. For some reason I never missed any gears or screwed up any launches in my AT :dunno: So yeah, A manual can be a little faster, but it depends waaaaay more on the driver at that point.
One of my friends blew a 350Z out of the water with his Murano just because the guy in the Z couldn't drive it worth a crap and the Murano doesn't shift. It was funny watching him race people in the Murano, even if they were ahead, he'd inch on them when they shifted.

4DGS 11-22-2009 04:56 PM

I have out run 6mt sedans an coupes (safely and legally of course)

This AT transmission is one of the best, it has some lag but still shifts 1000x faster than any human being can do. It's into the next gear before any human can get the clutch in.

thescreensavers 11-22-2009 04:58 PM

^^ umm, its not much faster then any other Manumatic car I have driven really.

The DSG Gear box, is the Tranny that can shifts 1000x faster then any human being can do.

Mustang5L5 11-22-2009 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by 4DGS (Post 4712275)
it has some lag but still shifts 1000x faster than any human being can do. It's into the next gear before any human can get the clutch in.

I respectfully disagree with that. In fact, one of my gripes about using manumatic mode is that it shifts so slowly.

I've seen some guys powershift a manual trans pretty damn fast. I know there are some specialized autos that shift fast too, but for the most part, the average passenger car auto always seems to roll into the next gear rather than a crisp sharp upshift.

Tangerine 11-22-2009 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by 4DGS (Post 4712275)
I have out run 6mt sedans an coupes (safely and legally of course)

This AT transmission is one of the best, it has some lag but still shifts 1000x faster than any human being can do. It's into the next gear before any human can get the clutch in.

:icon17:

So much misinformation from this....

Coupes of the same year is slower and the manuals, well the drivers can't shift then. Seeing as how the manuals are lighter and have less power loss than their auto counterparts.

The automatic transmissions that went into the G isn't performance oriented, it shifts slooooooow. It isn't an electronic controlled dual clutch or anything like that. But then again what do I know, G's are the best thing on 4 wheels right? :rolleyes:

thescreensavers 11-22-2009 10:55 PM

Yes, Pretty much I summed it up no need for more posts explaining what I said lol.

DaveB 11-22-2009 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tangerine (Post 4712576)

Coupes of the same year is slower and the manuals, well the drivers can't shift then. Seeing as how the manuals are lighter and have less power loss than their auto counterparts.

The automatic transmissions that went into the G isn't performance oriented, it shifts slooooooow. It isn't an electronic controlled dual clutch or anything like that. But then again what do I know, G's are the best thing on 4 wheels right? :rolleyes:

So much for what you know, the 6MT weighs more than the 5AT. 30lbs heavier, to be exact. I also disagree that the 5AT in the G/Z isn't "performance oriented". It has deep gearing, a relatively high stall torque converter, has pretty ideal gearing for acceleration in the 1/4 mile, will allow you slam the rev limiter if left in gear, shifts plenty quick, plus few other things it can do to improve performance. You're kidding yourself if you think that extra 10whp makes a huge difference in terms of acceleration. You're talking less than .1 seconds over the span of the 1/4 mile.

pinkii 11-22-2009 11:52 PM

take the vdc off. lol

4DGS 11-23-2009 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Tangerine (Post 4712576)

haha, numbers speak for themselves. DaveB confirms what I know.