Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Great thread ! It's my first G too soooo subscribed! Dig it

Old 03-20-2012, 09:00 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Reedtc (03-20-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 09:11 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Well besides routine maintenance, personally I usually warm up my G for about 2 minuets when the engine is cold, always fill up with 91 gas, inspect the fluids every so often, and make sure to listen for any unusual engine noises.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by herrschaft
Thanks
Originally Posted by jhaddad112
Well besides routine maintenance, personally I usually warm up my G for about 2 minuets when the engine is cold, always fill up with 91 gas, inspect the fluids every so often, and make sure to listen for any unusual engine noises.
Thank's I will do.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:32 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Who told you synthetic only? Nissan actually recommends dyno oil. If you are changing synthetic at 3k miles, you are throwing your money away.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 5150DS
Who told you synthetic only? Nissan actually recommends dyno oil. If you are changing synthetic at 3k miles, you are throwing your money away.
The automotive guy, said I should change oil & filter using synthetic oil every 5k miles to keep her running like butter..

Old 03-20-2012, 11:09 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
5k is what I do, but you put 3-5k. As for oil, synthetics main benefit is the increased drain interval. Modern dyno is comparable to most synthetics since few are true synthetics.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:55 AM
Received 358 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by jhaddad112
Well besides routine maintenance, personally I usually warm up my G for about 2 minuets when the engine is cold
Just a note, you're actually best not to let your car idle to warm up. The best way is to start the car, and start driving right away once the idle settles. And just drive slow keeping revs down until the engine reaches operating temperature.

You can speed up this process by keeping your heater off until the engine is warm as well.

Idling your car is bad, idling the car when cold is worse, 2 minutes is hardly a long time, but if you're doing this stricktly to 'save' your engine, then don't bother, you're much better off doing as recommended above

Old 03-21-2012, 11:09 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TunerMax
Just a note, you're actually best not to let your car idle to warm up. The best way is to start the car, and start driving right away once the idle settles. And just drive slow keeping revs down until the engine reaches operating temperature.

You can speed up this process by keeping your heater off until the engine is warm as well.

Idling your car is bad, idling the car when cold is worse, 2 minutes is hardly a long time, but if you're doing this stricktly to 'save' your engine, then don't bother, you're much better off doing as recommended above
Interesting, what's the reasoning behind not letting your car idle to temperature? Not questioning it, just curious

Personally I do the start up, let revs drop and go method and my wife still thinks I'm weird for even doing that. She's one of those that starts it up and goes along with 99.9% of the general public.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OKStateG35
Interesting, what's the reasoning behind not letting your car idle to temperature? Not questioning it, just curious

Personally I do the start up, let revs drop and go method and my wife still thinks I'm weird for even doing that. She's one of those that starts it up and goes along with 99.9% of the general public.
X2 on this, i always let my motor warms up before i drive it and now since you brought it up, im wondering why?

Old 03-21-2012, 01:21 PM
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
+1 on the infinitihelp.com site.... Some things you will learn from there.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Idle adds more wear on your motor the cooler it runs the faster it wears. Cars now a days are meant to be started and driven. Idling you car in the morning is a thing in the past.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:03 PM
Received 358 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by OKStateG35

Originally Posted by VQ35DE215
X2 on this, i always let my motor warms up before i drive it and now since you brought it up, im wondering why?
Below is a good basic explaination, thanks Theory_EK

Originally Posted by Theory_EK
Idle adds more wear on your motor the cooler it runs the faster it wears. Cars now a days are meant to be started and driven. Idling you car in the morning is a thing in the past.
We all know heat expands most objects, the alloys/steel etc in your engine bay are no exception. This means when cold, the engine components are undersized, which causes excellerated wear.

Also, most know that idling your engine and starting your engine are two of the worst things for it.

By letting your engine idle when cold, after a cold start, you're combining the two worst things for your engine, with a bad variable, cold temperature.

There's more precise reasoning behing why driving it and keeping under 2k RPM as much as possible is far better than idling when the engine is cold, but I'm likely not the best guy to explain it, and it's kind of irrelevant unless you're realy interested in it.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TunerMax
Below is a good basic explaination, thanks Theory_EK

We all know heat expands most objects, the alloys/steel etc in your engine bay are no exception. This means when cold, the engine components are undersized, which causes excellerated wear.

Also, most know that idling your engine and starting your engine are two of the worst things for it.

By letting your engine idle when cold, after a cold start, you're combining the two worst things for your engine, with a bad variable, cold temperature.

There's more precise reasoning behing why driving it and keeping under 2k RPM as much as possible is far better than idling when the engine is cold, but I'm likely not the best guy to explain it, and it's kind of irrelevant unless you're realy interested in it.
thank you for the explanation. no more warm up now haha

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to maintain A G?