G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Im 21 And I Really Need Your Help....03 G35....New Engine?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im 21 And I Really Need Your Help....03 G35....New Engine?

im a young kid that has an 03 g35. i bought it las summer 7 stacks cash. never had problems. before i bought the car i got a diagnosis test and it came back impressive

well around last month i got a check engine light. i brought it to auto zone to get the code read. they told me that both the crankshaft and camshaft had to be replaced.

i bought the parts a week later. while driving i noticed the affects of a failing camshaft and crankshaft. one morning i pulled out the drive way and 2 minutes late the car just shut off completely. the brakes were hard to press on. i was scared as ****

this is when i said i HAVE to get this fixed. at this point it woulnt even start. i towed it to my house. so i called my uncle and explained to him. he came the same day to replace the sensors.

it was able to start and i took it out to drive. it was alright for a day. then i started hearing and noticing the same symptoms as before. it was stalling in the acceleration.

all of a sudden the same thing happened. the car completely died on the road. i towed it back to my house. so i decided to bring it to the dealership to have them run a diagnosis test.

they called today and said they THINK i have to change the whole engine. he said that they didn't do it thoroughly because that would be expensive. at this point I'm speechless. i can't afford that ****. thats damn near what i paid for the car itself.

any insight guys?

Old 01-14-2012, 10:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how many miles on the car? my G has is just shy of 125,000 still running strong as beans besides the motor burning oil...but if you have done all that work already and it still runs like **** your probably best off with another motor and to save $$$ maybe you and your uncle could swap the motor...ive seen motors with 56K go for $1,700 not bad at all....but good luck with everything

Old 01-14-2012, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by RB180sxchris
how many miles on the car? my G has is just shy of 125,000 still running strong as beans besides the motor burning oil...but if you have done all that work already and it still runs like **** your probably best off with another motor and to save $$$ maybe you and your uncle could swap the motor...ive seen motors with 56K go for $1,700 not bad at all....but good luck with everything
MY G ha 85K...he was talking 6 stacks for a new motor.

I'm here stressing the **** out man.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:16 AM
wow only 85K hmmmmm thats kinda low.....why buy a new motor a used one is just as good...my boys 03 sedan has 185k on it and runs great and it has been his DD for 6 years no problems...you said you only got the car for 7k maybe thats why its cheap it had this problem....if i were in your shoes start looking for a motor craigslist is best soo you can find one local or even the junk yard take the old motor out tear down diagnose the problem put the new/old motor in and build the old motor for a spare =)

Old 01-14-2012, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by RB180sxchris
wow only 85K hmmmmm thats kinda low.....why buy a new motor a used one is just as good...my boys 03 sedan has 185k on it and runs great and it has been his DD for 6 years no problems...you said you only got the car for 7k maybe thats why its cheap it had this problem....if i were in your shoes start looking for a motor craigslist is best soo you can find one local or even the junk yard take the old motor out tear down diagnose the problem put the new/old motor in and build the old motor for a spare =)
thanks for that optimism

i definitely looking into it

from what I'm seeing ill probably be paying between 1500 to 2 to get it fixed

Old 01-14-2012, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by RichPorter
thanks for that optimism

i definitely looking into it

from what I'm seeing ill probably be paying between 1500 to 2 to get it fixed
totally up to you man...good luck with everything!

Old 01-14-2012, 03:24 PM
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
There are a lot of things that can cause stalling that don't require a new engine. I would ask them exactly what codes you're getting and why they think you need a new engine. Write down that info and post back on here. Lots of people are knowledgeable about maintenance on here

Old 01-14-2012, 04:17 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
85,000 is nothing for these cars provided they are properly looked after.

The DE has been renowned as one of the best engines out there in its class.

Those codes are vital.
If you've kept the car for this long I think the onus might be on you for not catching the issue before hand.
Were you maintaining it properly after you got it?

As the person above me mentioned; those codes are vital for the members here to help.

I find it highly unlikely that the engine died this young with proper use.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by ryanm8
There are a lot of things that can cause stalling that don't require a new engine. I would ask them exactly what codes you're getting and why they think you need a new engine. Write down that info and post back on here. Lots of people are knowledgeable about maintenance on here
I'm going there tomorrow

i really appreciate this man

God knows I'm stressing out

ill update this tomorrow

Old 01-14-2012, 06:50 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
put an ls1 in it

Old 01-14-2012, 07:06 PM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
Sounds to me like you need $200 in parts and a freaking mechanic who has 2 brain cells. More than likely you need to work on the CPS or one of the sensors. Common issue and does not require a new engine lolz. Spend time fixing the issue not throwing new engines at the problem.

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...y-version.html

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...on-sensor.html

http://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-...g-and-cel.html

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...ssues-car.html

Old 01-14-2012, 11:40 PM
Mr.202?

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts
Wish we knew what the two codes where for.... You can buy a used engine for much cheaper than 6k

Old 01-15-2012, 01:02 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
6k for a motor is ridiculous and you'd be silly to pay that.

www.car-part.com

Search your area for a used motor if you truly need one. I would exhaust all other options before I would commit to a new motor.

The following users liked this post:
bigjee (01-16-2012)
Old 01-15-2012, 01:50 AM
Received 357 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanm8
^THIS

Originally Posted by faiz23
Sounds to me like you need $200 in parts and a freaking mechanic who has 2 brain cells. More than likely you need to work on the CPS or one of the sensors. Common issue and does not require a new engine lolz. Spend time fixing the issue not throwing new engines at the problem.

^And THIS.

We need more info. You need to step back and examine this. Did you hear any knocking or ticking from the engine? Blown engines are rare, they normally give quite a few audible warning well before, as well as loss of power, poor running or not running, smoke out the exhaust, etc etc.

If it was run low on oil and spun a bearing then yeah, but you'd hear that long before you needed the listed components.

It also doesn't make sense that you'd need a Crank AND a camshaft unless something catastrophic happened, and that certainly doesn't seem to be the case based on your story.

A mechanic with a brain that suspects engine damage will drop the oil pan and inspect it.... not just say umm, think you need an engine, give me 6,000 $$ and I'll fix it.

You're getting taken for a hard ride with no lubrication

Old 01-16-2012, 02:34 PM
i went out to the dealership today to pick my car up

to be honest i don't even think they did extensive inspection on the car

all he said was the engine is locked up....and suggested that i get a new one

he didn't even charge me for the diagnosis

I'm having my uncle and a separate mechanic take a look to see what I'm gonna do

im stressing out man

Originally Posted by faiz23

thanks man really appreciate those links

Originally Posted by thescreensavers
Wish we knew what the two codes where for.... You can buy a used engine for much cheaper than 6k

Originally Posted by HeelToeSTi
6k for a motor is ridiculous and you'd be silly to pay that.

www.car-part.com

Search your area for a used motor if you truly need one. I would exhaust all other options before I would commit to a new motor.
i did some research and see that that 6 stacks was bullshit. I'm looking at 1500 to 2000 for one with under 80k

Originally Posted by TunerMax
^THIS

^And THIS.

We need more info. You need to step back and examine this. Did you hear any knocking or ticking from the engine? Blown engines are rare, they normally give quite a few audible warning well before, as well as loss of power, poor running or not running, smoke out the exhaust, etc etc.

If it was run low on oil and spun a bearing then yeah, but you'd hear that long before you needed the listed components.

It also doesn't make sense that you'd need a Crank AND a camshaft unless something catastrophic happened, and that certainly doesn't seem to be the case based on your story.

A mechanic with a brain that suspects engine damage will drop the oil pan and inspect it.... not just say umm, think you need an engine, give me 6,000 $$ and I'll fix it.

You're getting taken for a hard ride with no lubrication
lol...

i wasn't even considering that my man

but the dealership was no help...

they didn't give me a cause and didn't tell me whats wrong with it

but i need some guidance

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Im 21 And I Really Need Your Help....03 G35....New Engine?