G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

19's 06 coupe OEM Rays Wheels Heavy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 12:28 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SDGenius
lol, come on guys... really? the difference he's feeling is from the weight being pushed further out due to the difference in diameter.
stupid question but can you further explain this a little bit more, just so i can get a full understanding; im a rookie when it comes to these things. Is there certain tires you would recommend me buying since these ones have about 1-2 seasons left.

Oh this is awkward too but I used to have your car as my wallpaper for the longest time haha

Old 06-01-2012, 12:32 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
What size tires were on your old wheels?

Old 06-01-2012, 12:33 AM
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
You should re-calibrate the rotary coupling after putting new wheels on. That should take care of it.

Originally Posted by Kingd
Hey every i have an 03 G sedan that comes with OEM 17's wheels. I recently acquired the 19's 06 coupe OEM Rays wheels and i got them on the car today. After i got them on my car i felt a significant change in my car. It felt heavier and I wasn't accelerating as fast nor can the car maintain the speed after letting the gas go (drastically decrease). Im assuming cause of their weight; if anyone know how much they weigh that would be helpful. What I want to know is do you guys have any suggestions on other wheels that are 19's and weigh less than the ones I have now. I seem to cant find the weight of these wheels so I can do a comparison. Thanks in advance

Old 06-01-2012, 12:40 AM
Originally Posted by herrschaft
What size tires were on your old wheels?
the tires were 215/55/17

Originally Posted by Herbbie Hablib
You should re-calibrate the rotary coupling after putting new wheels on. That should take care of it.
you mean balance the wheels?

Old 06-01-2012, 12:43 AM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
stupid question but can you further explain this a little bit more, just so i can get a full understanding; im a rookie when it comes to these things. Is there certain tires you would recommend me buying since these ones have about 1-2 seasons left.

Oh this is awkward too but I used to have your car as my wallpaper for the longest time haha
haha, thanks... as far as rotational mass goes, the closer to the center the better, the further out you push it the more the weight is gonna be a factor. example: wheels of equal weight and width, the one w/the smaller diameter will spin faster w/less force. that's why drag wheels are so small(diameter wise). the reason the the forged 19's are better over all is they're wider and "lighter." you can offset the affect of the larger diameter w/shorter final drive gearing and a light weight 1pc driveshaft.

The following users liked this post:
TunerMax (05-22-2013)
Old 06-01-2012, 12:48 AM
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
^Thats what i said! 3.5vlsd will fix it.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:54 AM
Originally Posted by SDGenius
haha, thanks... as far as rotational mass goes, the closer to the center the better, the further out you push it the more the weight is gonna be a factor. example: wheels of equal weight and width, the one w/the smaller diameter will spin faster w/less force. that's why drag wheels are so small(diameter wise). the reason the the forged 19's are better over all is they're wider and "lighter." you can offset the affect of the larger diameter w/shorter final drive gearing and a light weight 1pc driveshaft.
Thanks for the info and tip. As far as what Im experiencing this is all normal than i suppose?

Originally Posted by 3truman
^Thats what i said! 3.5vlsd will fix it.
To be honest when you mentioned that, I had no clue what your talking about haha I will have to do further research on this 3.5vlsd to fully understand the purpose and etc.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:56 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
the tires were 215/55/17
The overall diameter of your current tire is greater then your previous set, which also factors into the car feeling slower.

Final Drive gearing: https://g35driver.com/forums/drivetr...tial-swap.html

The following users liked this post:
TunerMax (05-22-2013)
Old 06-01-2012, 01:01 AM
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Its the rear end differential from a manual g35 coupe/sedan or 350z. If you have an automatic transmission this mod will help you feel like you have more power, and give better acceleration. However you may experience a lower mpg from this mod as well, it will cause you to run at a higher rpm in the same gear than the stock 3.3 open diff.

I have a 3.5 vlsd and i really love it!

Old 06-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by herrschaft
The overall diameter of your current tire is greater then your previous set, which also factors into the car feeling slower.

Final Drive gearing: https://g35driver.com/forums/drivetr...tial-swap.html
Thanks for the help! Im going to need this DIY thread if im going to tackle this project

Originally Posted by 3truman
Its the rear end differential from a manual g35 coupe/sedan or 350z. If you have an automatic transmission this mod will help you feel like you have more power, and give better acceleration. However you may experience a lower mpg from this mod as well, it will cause you to run at a higher rpm in the same gear than the stock 3.3 open diff.

I have a 3.5 vlsd and i really love it!
I have an 03 G sedan doggy door, would it matter what year the rear end differential came from? (manual g35 coupe/sedan or 350z)

Old 06-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also to note, if your total tire circumference is larger than the prior tire, your speedo is off. On tirerack's website you can find the dimensions of each tire and the revolutions per mile. I had the stock 17s on my car and put a lower profile tire on it. The tire was smaller and was 'faster' than the stock tires. My speedo and mileage was off. The car was 'fast though'. It was easy to hit 80 or 100 on the highway. Cause I was really going 8-10 mph slower as the speedo was reading fast. I verified with 2 different gps units. Now that you're on 19s the tires are probably larger and the 'slower' than your stockers. Check your speedo vs a gps to see just how fast you're really going. I've managed to get really close to the stock tire size on my 19s now the speed is just 1-2 mph fast. Surprisingly that seems normal and acceptable for our speedos. but that's a whole different thread already covered.
changing your rear gears is a big decision and will affect your car a lot. Its not an easy or cheap swap. don't give up on the coupe wheels, they are a great product. refinish and re-tire if necessary. Best of luck.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:33 PM
^^thanks for the help much appreciated, makes a lot of sense now that you have explained it like this.

Has anyone used 225/40/19 and 245/40/19 kumho ecsta spt tires? Anyone felt like their pretty loud when driving over a certain speed?

Old 06-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had that model in a 17 size it was ok but a lot different than the oem Michelin. I recommend the tirerack site and reading the the 1000+ reviews there over one or two here in this forum.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by GatorTrae
I had that model in a 17 size it was ok but a lot different than the oem Michelin. I recommend the tirerack site and reading the the 1000+ reviews there over one or two here in this forum.
Were they noisy for you when driving? your experience my differ since my tires have different specs.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Thanks for the info and tip. As far as what Im experiencing this is all normal than i suppose?
Yes, others have noticed the same thing. Just the same I'd keep the 19s because they're light, strong, and look great.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 19's 06 coupe OEM Rays Wheels Heavy?