G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Why is the 03 so much better than the newer ones?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 11:43 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree when i 1st bought my 05 G35 a couple years ago i too was given a loaner g37 it was a 2010 or 11 and i had it for a week, It was definitely faster, but you felt out of touch with the road. I want to feel and hear the road and every crack and bump when i drive.

i did like the adjustable level for the seat warmers though lol

Old 10-17-2012, 01:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SDGenius
to me the V35 is a future classic, a real milestone for Infiniti in the States and a huge turning point for Nissan in Japan as a Skyline. yes, i too am a fan of early '03 garnet fire sedans...
wow! such a sick sedan. love the stance and wheel set up

I contemplated trading my 03 for a brand new G but I don't want to deal with on going car payments. Rather enjoy my car with no car note. The new G's are very nice tho

Old 10-20-2012, 08:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had my 04 for just over 9 years now.

I had considered buying a new model (of something, I don't know what) after my warranty expired at 7 years, but with the economic leadership we have, I just haven't been willing to spend the money.

Car still drives fine. I like how it handles.

I've had issues the last 2 major road trips, though. Last year, I was stranded in Colorado for several days while a part arrived from out of state to the little Ford dealership that was in the town. Even the Infiniti dealership in Denver didn't have the part I needed, and they had to order it before they could ship it to my dealership. I was using a loaner Fusion for 3 days. No car rentals available in the town I was in. Then this year, check engine light went on just north of Nashville. An emissions valve went out, I wasted just an afternoon and several hundred dollars. But I wasn't going to continue on my trip with a check engine light on.

Other than lack of desired technology, my only other issues are leather repairs that need to be made. Still under 94000. I'll probably buy something new either early next year, or 2017. Depending on how optimistic I am about the economy. I money spent on a car can last awhile in case of emergency.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Received 358 Likes on 258 Posts
The newer ones lack the "rawness" of the first Gen, and even a bit in the second Gen.

That said, the SPORT version brings a lot of it back with firmer suspension, sway bars, and so on. Still very tame, but they actually DO have 'feel' to them. My buddy has an '09 Sport 6MT and since his Clutch Spring mod, that car is a great ride, a little gurgle in the exhaust note and it'd be just fine!

Old 10-21-2012, 06:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know about some of you guys but my 08 sedan is a lot more powerful an fun to drive then my 03 was. Don't get me wrong I obviously loved the 03 and its mix of power an luxury was the very reason that I decided to get another G35. However, my 08 sedan has about 40 more horses then my 03 did you can definitely feel it, especially when I get my dual R2C intake growling at high RPMs :-) :-)

Old 10-21-2012, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think when the first G35 came out it was more directed for younger generation it had the sporty feel to it but then they realize that they were only hitting the young market so they want to Target the older generation. I personaly feel like the newer G35 with the pulled back head lights and the round *** it has lost it sportyness to it. That's how I feel.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:50 AM
I had my 05 in for service last week and they gave me a 2011 as a loaner. It was definitely more refined and smooth feeling. But I too felt like it missed that raw feeling. The styling is just to bland for me too. Looks like everything else out there. But that is what infiniti had to do to keep up with the market. I'm more of a muscle car kind of guy and have never owned a four sedan before, so that raw grunt is what I love about the g.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by G350RT
I think when the first G35 came out it was more directed for younger generation it had the sporty feel to it but then they realize that they were only hitting the young market so they want to Target the older generation. I personaly feel like the newer G35 with the pulled back head lights and the round *** it has lost it sportyness to it. That's how I feel.
I disagree. The G35/G37 has always been marketed towards older (30's and up) crowd. I almost bought a 2005 6MT coupe new back in '05, but ended up getting my '06 Sedan soon after. I brought the car to the dealer for some warranty repairs and felt like the youngest person on the lot at 28. I would rarely see anyone under 30 in a G35 driving around back in 08/09. Who can afford a $40K+ car new?

Now, with G35's under $10K, different story, but when i was G37 shopping before I bought my Benz (g/f's choice not mine...her car) I still felt like the youngest person there.

My G35 has impressed me i will say that. It has 111K miles on it now, and very reliable. I've over-maintained it, but that's just how I am. I think i changed all the fluids with Mobil 1 synthetic fluid at 50K miles..and i'm already considering doing it again just for the hell of it. Still rides and drives like the day I brought it home. (knock on wood). Of course, the super soft paint on the nose has seen better days.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:14 PM
I agree with the posters who like the earlier Gs. I have an 04 G35X and have driven newer loaners and yes they are faster and have more technology but I like the way my G feels on the road. Even the dealer said I should keep my G for a while longer and not get a new one (shocking, coming from a dealer!) because the new Gs just aren't the same.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:32 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
i would trade my 1st gen with any 2nd gen...

i hope the 3rd gen is lighter and SHORTER...

The following users liked this post:
TunerMax (10-22-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 08:48 PM
Received 358 Likes on 258 Posts
^ Agree. 2nd Gen is wicked.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have to agree with the OP on the power of the 03. I drive mostly TP and on many occasions one has people snoozing in the left lane...when the opportunity presents itself one just snicks the lever into third gear....and hang on....I have already red lined the car in 5th...breath taking

Old 10-25-2012, 12:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Funny, I didn't know this was a common sentiment, but I guess it makes sense. I test drove a G37 sedan before buying my 03, and I also prefer the first gen. The newer cars are faster and have a higher level of fit and finish to them, but for me the character and go cart-like driving feel are more important.

Just depends on what your looking for in a car. The older one is just more fun to me.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:25 PM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
I have a05x love it! When Im on 81 going home to Tenn the x just performs flawlessly! Doing 80 and slightly push the pedal down she goes! Handles the Dragon no problem.Cant complain how it performs! I dont think I will get a new g.Just dont want to spend the money.I dont need nav and some of the technology they put in them.I was an audi owner until I drove a Infiniti. Audi gave you dual climate controls.The copilot is two feet away what sense does that make. When I got the x it felt as good as the quattro on the road with alot more ponies under the hood!I like the new Infiniti's but I love my first gen!!!!

Old 10-15-2013, 12:43 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Wow.. Old thread.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why is the 03 so much better than the newer ones?