G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06-15/)
-   -   Tiptronic (MM): Not working. Suggestions? (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06/429125-tiptronic-mm-not-working-suggestions.html)

x53G35x 06-25-2013 10:24 PM

Tiptronic (MM): Not working. Suggestions?

Hey all -

Tiptronic works maybe 10% of the time now. I got a free OBD reading, no codes. Bottom of tranny dropped, no metal and no faults. Tranny fluid swap, problem persists.

Car will stay in D when shifter flipped over to tiptronic.

Sometimes when it does work, system will put tranny back in D and won't go back to tiptronic. I can move the shifter left and right, but no Manual mode.

Suggestions? I was thinking ATCU? It should blow a code though if broken. Shifter assembly? Maybe it's the switch?

D

Mustang5L5 06-26-2013 07:51 AM

My guess is something in the actual shifter isn't registering the physical move of the stick into the MM slot.

With some wiring diagrams one might be able to diagnose, but I know of none available publicly.

lazyieg 06-27-2013 04:33 AM

2nd, sounds like the switch at the gate.

good luck! post pictures!

Max626 06-29-2013 12:10 AM

I have the same problem but never got around to checking the MM trigger switch which I think is the culprit, hopefully your able to fix yours

lazyieg 07-01-2013 02:50 AM

can the module as a whole be switched out, the part that the shifter itself is connected to, e.g. disconnect from the rods connected to the transmission and replace it?

x53G35x 05-31-2014 03:54 PM

After a winter of no MM, I'm ready to replace the whole shifter assem.

Sorry to revive an old thread - I've been all over google and seems only remedy is replacing the shift assem. Any thoughts?

Mustang5L5 05-31-2014 09:01 PM

If you want to try some diagnostics before changing out the shifter, page 175 will have some wiring diagrams

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Seda...5_Sedan/at.pdf

Might be more useful info elsewhere in the FSM.

Last guy who had asimilar issue did change out the shifter to solve it

x53G35x 06-01-2014 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mustang5L5 (Post 6908274)
If you want to try some diagnostics before changing out the shifter, page 175 will have some wiring diagrams

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Seda...5_Sedan/at.pdf

Might be more useful info elsewhere in the FSM.

Last guy who had asimilar issue did change out the shifter to solve it

Mustang - thanks again. Always helpful.

Funny enough, a recent ad was posted on Kijiji for a FE damaged 05 G35x from a wreckers in my area. I'm going to call them to see what their going to charge me for the whole assay. If I am pulling apart the console and messing around with wires, I'll take the chance to replace the whole assay and get a garage to do it. Might be 1.5hr labour or so. If it doesn't fix the problem, I am leaning towards a bad ATCU in the tranny and may require work there. If thats the case, I'll replace/rebuild that before the winter.

Lets hope the shifter assay @ $100 and labour @ $150 = $250 MM fix. I'll try to remember and update.

p_furious 06-03-2014 10:25 PM

Hey x53G35x, if you could post your results that would be awesome. I'm just coming up on the same problem and am googling a few things and see that the assembly's aren't too much online so if it fixes the problem, and the mechanic isn't too pricey, I'd like to do the same thing.

That being said, does anyone know how hard it is to swap from the inside? I've taken apart my console before to get to the back or the radio and that wasn't bad, but with just the console off, how much deeper would one have to go to swap the whole thing?

Thanks!!!

Hotdawwgman 06-06-2014 03:49 PM

only in heat will my Manual Mode not let me downshift.... Kinda curious about this.

x53G35x 06-18-2014 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by p_furious (Post 6909132)
Hey x53G35x, if you could post your results that would be awesome. I'm just coming up on the same problem and am googling a few things and see that the assembly's aren't too much online so if it fixes the problem, and the mechanic isn't too pricey, I'd like to do the same thing.

That being said, does anyone know how hard it is to swap from the inside? I've taken apart my console before to get to the back or the radio and that wasn't bad, but with just the console off, how much deeper would one have to go to swap the whole thing?

Thanks!!!

Heya Furious

I've decided to repair everything thats bugging me.
Compression rod bushings
Shifter assay
Brakes/rotors
rear axle clicking
Rear driver CV boot/joint replacement
Belt x2
Air filter

In response to your question, I haven't yet started the repairs. I'm waiting for my bushings to arrive from Circle Infiniti. I'll get the mechanic to look at the assay. I suspect 06/22-06/26 to have the work done. Oh, and the wreckers quoted me $200 for the piece. I told them I can find cheaper on Eaby, but he says they check all the major sites and inc the shipping then take off 10%. I did the math on a few sites and the prick is right. Anyways, I can get one @ $200 in 3days so if thats what I need, its either drive to Hamilton and get it or wait for it to come from the states.

I have been all over google, nismo forums and here and most say that the assay swap is the fix. The plastic connectors fail and the ECU defaults the tranny to a D mode only. I think you have to take a seat or both out to pull the console off and get at the assembly. I can do simple repairs with the right tools, but this would be too much.

Damn car is going to cost me two grand in the next two weeks.

x53G35x 07-02-2014 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by x53G35x (Post 6913784)
Heya Furious

I've decided to repair everything thats bugging me.
Compression rod bushings
Shifter assay
Brakes/rotors
rear axle clicking
Rear driver CV boot/joint replacement
Belt x2
Air filter

In response to your question, I haven't yet started the repairs. I'm waiting for my bushings to arrive from Circle Infiniti. I'll get the mechanic to look at the assay. I suspect 06/22-06/26 to have the work done. Oh, and the wreckers quoted me $200 for the piece. I told them I can find cheaper on Eaby, but he says they check all the major sites and inc the shipping then take off 10%. I did the math on a few sites and the prick is right. Anyways, I can get one @ $200 in 3days so if thats what I need, its either drive to Hamilton and get it or wait for it to come from the states.

I have been all over google, nismo forums and here and most say that the assay swap is the fix. The plastic connectors fail and the ECU defaults the tranny to a D mode only. I think you have to take a seat or both out to pull the console off and get at the assembly. I can do simple repairs with the right tools, but this would be too much.

Damn car is going to cost me two grand in the next two weeks.

Bushings:
Came from Circle Infiniti in NJ - big ups to those guys for getting my ebay order out the door in less than 24hrs and delivered within the week. Ordered Monday from NJ, delivered Friday in Toronto On.
$60 shipped for two of them.
$80 installed @ Speedy Muffler. I think the drivers side is going too - good thing I bought 2.

Shifter Assay:
Electrical tested and inspected prior to installation. Faulty shifter. I am looking for another one. $0 for diagnostic test, visual inspection. Speedy quoted few hours to swap - theres nothing in their system to quote. Might be 3hrs in and out. Expect ~$240 labour total or so.

Brakes/rotors:
Did them myself. Went with black rotors, drilled and slotted. They look nice. No noise, no vibrations. $220 shipped.

Axle clicking:
I need to look into the grease and bring it to Speedy - they'll charge me .5hrs labour ($40).

CV Boot:
Not a biggy until it fails. $0

Air filter:
K&N drop-in, Meh. $48

Decided to do an Emissions test while I was there (required for our plate stickers here in Canada - our plates go with the person, not the car) and OBD reader popped two codes. 1168 and 1051. Both seem to point to O2 sensor, pre-cat. Had diagnostic done, O2 sensor is culprit on the right side(?). Don't know if cleaning it will help; retest will cost me $20 and $20 in labour. I have a conditional pass and new stickers - and a new fu*king repair to add to my list.

Currently looking at an 2012 FX35 and 2004 QX4 - I need an SUV. The dog is WAY too big for the front seat now. I'll buy something before the winter, either outright below $5k or financed less than $12k w/ $5k down.

Lartytiejdke3 07-02-2014 09:05 PM

Circle infiniti are some decent guys

MAD MAXX 07-02-2014 11:20 PM

Manual mode gate switch is your problem. New shifter will fix it or you could put the switch back together. The tiny metal switch falls out of place.

mew1983 02-01-2016 07:30 AM

looking for answers

I know your thread is from some time ago but did you ever find anything out about that? My car is doing the same, and there's not much info about this subject