G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

What did you do to the G Sedan today?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 05:37 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Since it's so cold up there sounds like the perfect indoor project to waste a Saturday on lolol.

G2 sorry to hear, push the city hard to pay for the repair and have it covered by the warranty as well. Win,win and it could have been worse, you could be telling this from a hospital bed or the afterlife...... Hope it all works out well for you!

Old 02-10-2017, 06:01 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BradMD_96
What exactly do you mean by dog tracking? I have some inner edge cupped wear on my front right tire - can't be toe because both sides would wear that way and chamber is natural from the drop and again should be pretty equal side to side. I even swapped front wheels and not so long later the front right (originally left) developed the same inner edge cupped wear.

So I'm just wondering what you mean by dog tracking because I find my G is a bit darty and tends to follow the ruts in the road or pull on rough roads. But up until reading your post I put it all down to the wide 255 tires up front....Now I'm wondering (if dog tracking is darty behaviour) then maybe my LCA bushings are bad too - on the one side.
Besides noises, clunks, bangs and visual inspection you can diagnose bushing issues, etc by some of the symptoms. Dog tracking is kinda like a slang. I refer to it as like the car wonders to 1 side or the next with the steering wheel straight. On a perfectly straight road a car should drive straight for a good while without much of any steering correction. Besides my ball joints on the transverse link my car can stay straight without touching the steering wheel a good 10 plus seconds as long as it's not windy. No correction at all. My best explanation of dog tracking.

The following users liked this post:
BradMD_96 (02-11-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 12:25 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Originally Posted by G2B35AGN
Today I drove my sedanX over a curb. Well, actually it was a chunk of curb....

Construction foreman and I were able to back the car off the chunk. Plastic underpan is chewed up of course. Not knowing what else might be chewed up I used the Infiniti Elite warranty to have it towed to the dealer for inspection and assessment. Hopefully they will report tomorrow.
Here's the thread I just started with the report:

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...ml#post7094819

Thoughts and opinions in that thread welcomed.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by TheIronYuppy
noticed condensation in one of my newly-reassembled headlights.

I guess I didn't seal it properly. Looking forward to spending all of Saturday removing it, splitting it, drying it out, re-sealing it, and re-installing it. Grrrr.
Don't do that. Start by installing goretex patches on the leaking headlight (drill hole, apply patch).

Old 02-10-2017, 03:01 PM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Don't do that. Start by installing goretex patches on the leaking headlight (drill hole, apply patch).
Nah, It's not sitting exactly right and it's triggering my OCD. Obviously I didn't seat the tongue deep enough in the groove.

I'm single. I can burn a Saturday doing this while I listen to NPR and drink beer.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:05 PM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
Originally Posted by Swaglife81
What pads did you go with? I want something with a good bite, quiet, better than stock for a daily driver.

Why did you replace the lower control arms? Bushings I guess but you still had to bang out those ball joints and replace them right?
Bushings were shot in the LCAs and when they are bad enough the hole they are in becomes oval, so might as well replace the whole assembly at that point.

Went with the Akebono PROACT ceramic pads. Box says it is an OEM level pad. Other than a tremendous reduction in brake dust, can't really tell a difference between them and what was on before. Fine in cold and warm weather and here in Texas this time of year we can have both in the same day.

Originally Posted by BradMD_96
What exactly do you mean by dog tracking? I have some inner edge cupped wear on my front right tire - can't be toe because both sides would wear that way and chamber is natural from the drop and again should be pretty equal side to side. I even swapped front wheels and not so long later the front right (originally left) developed the same inner edge cupped wear.
My car would wander, follow the groves in the road, etc. Got bad enough my steering wheel was canted to the left when driving straight and my VDC and SLIP lights were on. The system gets turned off if the car is going straight with the steering wheel not centered to prevent the system from trying to prevent what it initially interprets as a skid.

The following users liked this post:
BradMD_96 (02-11-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Nah, It's not sitting exactly right and it's triggering my OCD. Obviously I didn't seat the tongue deep enough in the groove.

I'm single. I can burn a Saturday doing this while I listen to NPR and drink beer.
Get some retro rubber and replace the OEM stuff with good aftermarket.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Get some retro rubber and replace the OEM stuff with good aftermarket.
Doing it tonight with butyl. We'll see how that pans out. I tried a couple of supply places for retrorubber and nobody had any. The dealer didn't have any rolls of the OEM stuff, either.

I think the problem last time was that I wasn't heating the butyl enough. Going to bake the housing (with OEM goop and butyl) for 10 minutes this time before pushing the lens into it.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:17 PM
Your under-shroud did what it was supposed to do. I was going to say at least you can get yourself a nice new alloy one, but I don't think any of them fit the X.
Actually, they did make alloy lower covers for the X; I'm pretty sure Tollboothwilly did at least. I think one other fabricator did too. Will just have to see if any are still available; I did have the thought to go alloy if I decide to repair.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
G2 sorry to hear, push the city hard to pay for the repair and have it covered by the warranty as well. Win,win and it could have been worse, you could be telling this from a hospital bed or the afterlife...... Hope it all works out well for you!
Thanks. I don't think the extended warranty will cover something like this; it's not like a failed part. It will have to be either the contractor's insurance or mine. It's just whether the payoff will cover the damage or not. My real dilemma is time. Do I go on faith and order aftermarket parts or discount OEM from infinitiparts and have the work done anticipating someone will cover it? Or do I wait to get a determination on the claims, then wait for parts to come in. (...And then find out that more parts are needed once they get into it and wait even longer for those parts to arrive.)

What a pain. This is a daily driver! I haven't been this grounded since I got caught sneaking out of the house when I was 14!

Old 02-10-2017, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by G2B35AGN
...Do I go on faith and order aftermarket parts or discount OEM from infinitiparts and have the work done anticipating someone will cover it?...
I would wait. The last thing you want to do is rush into a decision before knowing all the details about who is paying for what. The last thing you want to do is put $2k into parts for a car that gets written off.

Patience.

Not sure what your insurance covers but my policy includes up to 30 days of rental car in the event my car is inoperable due to accident or theft. Might want to look into what you're covered for.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:33 AM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottwax
Bushings were shot in the LCAs and when they are bad enough the hole they are in becomes oval, so might as well replace the whole assembly at that point.

Went with the Akebono PROACT ceramic pads. Box says it is an OEM level pad. Other than a tremendous reduction in brake dust, can't really tell a difference between them and what was on before. Fine in cold and warm weather and here in Texas this time of year we can have both in the same day.

My car would wander, follow the groves in the road, etc. Got bad enough my steering wheel was canted to the left when driving straight and my VDC and SLIP lights were on. The system gets turned off if the car is going straight with the steering wheel not centered to prevent the system from trying to prevent what it initially interprets as a skid.
Read all three of you guys resposes - thanks!
When my car pulls to one side or the other, the steering wheel moves too. So it isn't like the whole car wondering with steering pointed straight, it's more like the car getting pulled into the rut and needing steering input to bring it back centered in the lane. So "darty" and or very happy to follow a different path (rough road/rut). Although I'm sorta doubting myself now... so I will take a closer look to see if the steering wheel moves as it's pulled or if the steering is dead straight and the car dog tracks/crabs sideways.

Like I said, I just put it down to the wide front tires but since seeing the excessive wear on only one side wheel I figured it needed a closer look. I've an alignment check scheduled for next Tuesday to make sure it isn't bad alignment making the car darty/excess wear and then I'll examine my front end bushings for cracks and whatnot. There is no noise/clunks/squeaks whatsoever from the bushings which is why I never looked at them sooner. I'll definitely post pics to verify they're bad. The only noise I have is when getting on my driveway with the car diagonal. There's creaks/squeaks which I think are simply the rear Tein springs rubbing the mounts. But then again, maybe it's some bad bushings on their way out (or gone already).

Old 02-12-2017, 01:33 PM
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
I finally got my 350z suspension installed on Friday! But that was Friday, on Saturday my cel flashed for a minute yesterday then it stopped and now its just on. Im thinking oil probably burned off from the spark plug to create spark. Im going to try to pull my plugs and check for oil on them. I have never done this so God help me. Any insight helps. Thanks.
P.s. she's really dirty.
What did you do to the G Sedan today?-20170211_101925.jpg

Old 02-12-2017, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by IllaNoizeTV
I finally got my 350z suspension installed on Friday! But that was Friday, on Saturday my cel flashed for a minute yesterday then it stopped and now its just on. Im thinking oil probably burned off from the spark plug to create spark. Im going to try to pull my plugs and check for oil on them. I have never done this so God help me. Any insight helps. Thanks.
P.s. she's really dirty.
Attachment 177669
Well, plug seals are prone to failure at high mileage and cannot be replaced. If you find oil in the tubes when you pull plugs, you might need to replace the valve covers. An easy job but time-consuming because of all the crap in the way.

On the up-side, instead of dropping $300+ at the dealer for new covers, you can get a set of Maxima ones for $88 on eBay and with a little bit of modification you're good to go:

https://g35driver.com/forums/faq-diy...lug-tubes.html

Old 02-12-2017, 04:40 PM
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Well, plug seals are prone to failure at high mileage and cannot be replaced. If you find oil in the tubes when you pull plugs, you might need to replace the valve covers. An easy job but time-consuming because of all the crap in the way.

On the up-side, instead of dropping $300+ at the dealer for new covers, you can get a set of Maxima ones for $88 on eBay and with a little bit of modification you're good to go:

https://g35driver.com/forums/faq-diy...lug-tubes.html
Thank you Yuppy. I'll keep you guys updated

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the G Sedan today?