Fuel Gauge problem. really really mad now

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 06:28 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
So it never got fixed?

Old 05-11-2016, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meh, I guess I'm joining the club on this one, too. Still love that stupid car!

Old 05-21-2016, 03:34 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Fire0nic3
Well I previously mentioned I had this problem for a while now.

Low and behold I'm driving today and the check engine light comes on. I get it read and the code is P0462 (Fuel Level Sensor Circuit Low Input).

Now my fuel level gauge is stuck at full all the time. Never moved.
Mine just popped up with this code today after having gauge issues for a while.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:32 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
I have both sending units for sale if someone wants. $85 shipped. Working pulls from my 05 sedan. Verified by having the proper resistance values by my tech. Just PM me.

They work AFAIK because my problems were with the wiring, guy who had alarm/remote starter installed and nicked a few wires and didn't bother to repair it.
If you still have them I may be interested!
How much shipped to 60504?

Old 06-24-2016, 01:09 AM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
My problem is when filled up, the needle barely touches the full line and when the tank is half empty, it reads 1/4 full. I guess I could start with the sending unit.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:11 PM
Same issue here; typically fill-up at ~350 miles (indicates past F), but found out today I can go 420 miles on a full tank [indicated just over 1/4, but ran out of gas--thankfully, coasted to gas station =)]. I also get the 'check engine light' and P0462 code after filling-up, but I can clear the CEL after about 60 miles. The dealer already R&R'd the sending units and since problem persists, said I needed to purchase a new instrument cluster (~$1300)--that's not happening. Instead, I will eventually remove the cluster myself and send to a repair place (eBay - http://stores.ebay.com/ezelectronics...w=infiniti+g35) for $95 or $99. In the meantime, I just live w/it.

My other complaint is the uncomfortable front seats...look up my post and please let me know of any good suggestions...thanks!

Old 11-06-2017, 02:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Similar issues. 10 years later, it turns out my gauge has always been faulty. I was wondering why I would never fill more than 13 gallons at a gas station when the light came on. These cars have 20 gallon tanks.

Anyway, it's gotten worse. Not gonna spend a penny fixing this. Just reset your trip odometer every time you fill up. 18 mpg x 20 = 360 miles. So fill up once you get to ~300 miles and under. Am I gonna run out of gas and curse Infiniti, maybe..

Old 11-09-2017, 10:57 AM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
I seemed to have fixed my issue by regularly filling the tank. Used to stop with 3 gallons or so to go, but then going to another station and filling it up seemed to get it past whatever was sticking (could also be the EVAP tube being clogged, recall on it is to 150k miles now)) and now it fills up and read normally and consistently.

The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (11-09-2017)
Old 03-02-2018, 06:54 AM
Follow-up on your repair?

[QUOTE=bdflyer;7064856]Same issue here; typically fill-up at ~350 miles (indicates past F), but found out today I can go 420 miles on a full tank [indicated just over 1/4, but ran out of gas--thankfully, coasted to gas station =)]. I also get the 'check engine light' and P0462 code after filling-up, but I can clear the CEL after about 60 miles. The dealer already R&R'd the sending units and since problem persists, said I needed to purchase a new instrument cluster (~$1300)--that's not happening. Instead, I will eventually remove the cluster myself and send to a repair place (eBay - http://stores.ebay.com/ezelectronics...w=infiniti+g35) for $95 or $99. In the meantime, I just live w/it.

Wondering if you went thru with the repair, and if it worked? Same issue for me; P0462, replaced sending units, check engine light still comes on. I am thinking of removing my cluster and shipping it to one of these repair services, but I am concerned with the whole process (like, can I drive the car w/o the instrument cluster, or what happens if the gauges break during shipping?). I feel that buying a 12-year old part from the junkyard could work for me, but it seems more of a risk than getting my existing unit repaired (what if the used one is also defective?)

Old 03-02-2018, 12:13 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Before shipping you could apply some colored electrical tape to the needles to keep them from moving, I think it's a bit unnecessary though because they're subjected tona lot more abuse during a collision or rollover and still work fine. Just get a good shipping box and pack the instrument panel well before shipping.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:59 PM
I have the same problem on my 05 G35x when full the gage is above full and when empty the gage reads 3/4- 1/2 full. Ihave replaced the fuel pump and the sending unit and it still does not work, I don't really know what else to do to fix it. To keep track of my fuel, I reset trip A every time I fill up and make sure to get gas around 300 miles.

Old 03-02-2018, 03:50 PM
I just joined this site so that I can post here. Regarding the 05 (Anthxny) - it seems that for many of us, the problem lies in the instrument cluster, the actual fuel gauge and not the senders or fuel pump. From what I have read, the cluster - called a 'combination meter' - shows incorrect values for fuel levels because there is something wrong with the gauge cluster. I am in the middle of a similar problem; a new combination meter from Infiniti is around $900, and the dealership wants ~$300 to install it. I am not spending that amount of money just to know the level of fuel in the car. However, the car throws a P0462 check engine light code, and I cannot pass state inspection with a check engine light on. The other day I left my house with 1/2 tank, and when I got to work I had 3/4. Inconsistency is consistent with this

I have not tried this myself (yet), but I notice in the Service Manual for the 2005, in the DI (Driver Information) section, there is a self-diagnosis section on page DI-12 of this file: http://www.nicoclub.com/service-manu...5_G35_Sedan/di

At this point (I also replaced both sending units already), I strongly feel that this is the problem. In fact, I'd take it one step further and speculate that the problem is with the electrical connections/solder connections on the back of the fuel gauge. You'd have to remove the combination meter/instrument cluster. I'm not sure I have the confidence to attempt to find broken circuits and re-solder them, but I think I may as well at least look at it. Odds are that I'll ship the unit off to a repair center - just do a search using Google or even eBay as there are multiple repair shops (which also suggests this is a common problem with these cars!)

Last edited by Mark Haythorn; 03-02-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:37 PM
Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts
Here to join the club as well

Old 03-09-2018, 11:32 AM
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
You guys are exactly right. I just got my instrument cluster back from sending it to Rapid Transit Services based out of TX for solder repair. It cost $95 for the repair. I'm not that mechanically inclined and I was able to remove the cluster send it, and reinstall it. It's not that hard to do. Here's the link I purchased it through.
https://m.ebay.com/itm/INFINITI-G35-...28?_mwBanner=1

The following users liked this post:
6speeder (11-08-2023)
Old 03-09-2018, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by IllaNoizeTV
You guys are exactly right. I just got my instrument cluster back from sending it to Rapid Transit Services based out of TX for solder repair. It cost $95 for the repair. I'm not that mechanically inclined and I was able to remove the cluster send it, and reinstall it. It's not that hard to do. Here's the link I purchased it through.
https://m.ebay.com/itm/INFINITI-G35-...28?_mwBanner=1
Excellent, thanks! Was the turnaround time fairly accurate? That eBay listing says that it will take about 3 weeks (there is an 'Estimated Delivery' area), but I suspect that often vendors estimate high. Or, related to the above question, can you drive the car while the instrument cluster is removed? (obviously this is not recommended, but in a pinch could you drive the car until the part comes back from the repair shop?)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge problem. really really mad now