G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

2003 G35 Sedan, worth to mod?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 11:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 G35 Sedan, worth to mod?

I have had my g35 for a couple months now and the only mod i'd done to it is a custom exhaust from resonator down, double din radio and a few cosmestic mods like window tint, plastidip chrome and wheels, and clear corners.

I love this car but my question is that is it even worth to continue modding the g since its at 128k miles? There are several small dents on the door, fenders, paint cracks and scratches on the rear bumper and giant paint cracks and scratches on the front bumper. There might be a problem with the steering since it's super stiff, i'm not sure if other Gs are like this. There's a P0507 engine code which I believe is the cause of the throttle problem.

As you read, there are several problems and I would need to do a lot to fix it up but is it worth it? Would it be better to just leave it as is and purchase a new car in let's say, 2-3 years? If it's still logical to continue to mod the car, what would I go for next? and what will the order go? Intake then spacers then coilovers for example? Thanks!

Last edited by phaN; 08-24-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:03 PM
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
I would honestly recommend doing the maintenance stuff first to make sure your car is in tip top condition, reliable, and at its best value to sell in the future. Is it worth modding? That's up to you and your opinion. Remember almost all mods do not increase the value of the car and sometimes decrease the value of the car so you have to ask yourself what is the reason to mod. Just because you like it? Or are you trying to get your money back? A good starting point is using kbb to determine the value of the car, I'd rate your car in fair condition and maybe even less after seeing all the things wrong with it. If you fix all the problems with it however, I'd rate it in excellent condition in which you can sell it for more.

P.s. I have an 06 g35 sedan with 130k and I'm just doing maintenence until it's in perfect condition. Then I'll tastefully mod it for the sole purpose of me loving to mod, not to get my money back.

The following 2 users liked this post by IllaNoizeTV:
Blue Dream (08-24-2016), Indecisive (08-24-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 06:06 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Well said Illa.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Well said Illa.
Thanks bro

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (08-26-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 01:41 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The G steering is pretty stiff. Might want to check the steering rack just in case though. Check the fluid and see if it needs to be flushed out with new fluid.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:28 PM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
and check the tire pressures on the front, mine were soft and the steering was heavier than normal

Old 08-25-2016, 07:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't say steering is stiff. But it's firm and steers quicker than other cars I've driven.
That being said, the car is also much heavier than other cars that I've driven. So I feel the weight of the car in the wheel.

Anyway, original question - I'd drive it a lot. Drive it in traffic, to and from work, trips... Then do some repairs on it yourself...
Use that to judge if you want to mod it or not.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:10 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
If you do decide to do mods even light ones, I highly recommend replacing your sway bars with aftermarket like Motordyne, Hotchkis or Stillen as one of, if not your first, mods. They will dramatically change the way your car steers and rides for the better. Best bang for the buck mod out there. Power adding mods seem to overall be a waste of money for light modders because what you get vs. what you spend just doesn't seem worth it to me anymore. Nissan did a great job tweaking the most HP/TQ out of the VQ from the factory. Now if you're thinking of supercharging it or going with a turbo set up that's a whole different ball game.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:47 PM
So much truth ^
Spending 450+ dollars on a spacer for 9-15 HP... no thank you.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:16 PM
Someone should do a v8 swap either from the m45 or m56. Or at least a v6 swap from the newer g37s

Old 08-25-2016, 10:59 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Originally Posted by IllaNoizeTV
Someone should do a v8 swap either from the m45 or m56. Or at least a v6 swap from the newer g37s
Nah. Go big with LS or stay home. Too much work in a swap for the return with Nissan V8 IMO.

Old 08-26-2016, 04:54 AM
Originally Posted by G2B35AGN
Nah. Go big with LS or stay home. Too much work in a swap for the return with Nissan V8 IMO.
True. But I mean 420hp compared to 280hp is a big difference so I think the m56 swap is worth it too and maybe a little less money

Old 08-26-2016, 10:56 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by IllaNoizeTV
I would honestly recommend doing the maintenance stuff first to make sure your car is in tip top condition, reliable, and at its best value to sell in the future. Is it worth modding? That's up to you and your opinion. Remember almost all mods do not increase the value of the car and sometimes decrease the value of the car so you have to ask yourself what is the reason to mod. Just because you like it? Or are you trying to get your money back? A good starting point is using kbb to determine the value of the car, I'd rate your car in fair condition and maybe even less after seeing all the things wrong with it. If you fix all the problems with it however, I'd rate it in excellent condition in which you can sell it for more.
P.s. I have an 06 g35 sedan with 130k and I'm just doing maintenence until it's in perfect condition. Then I'll tastefully mod it for the sole purpose of me loving to mod, not to get my money back.
This ^ is the best With your kind of mileage I'm sure you have many parts that have worn out from the trim around your doors to suspension parts. Replacing them is $$ well spent!
Gary

Old 08-26-2016, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by G2B35AGN
I thought about LS myself...
But isn't that 15,000-20,000$ swap?

If you like sport sedans... keep the G for a daily, and buy an IS300 and GTE swap it.
The cost of a cheap manual IS, 2jzgte, and swap, would still be cheaper than LS swapping the G.

I don't know why, but everyone I've spoken to said the LS swapped G is super expensive.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:41 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
If you do decide to do mods even light ones, I highly recommend replacing your sway bars with aftermarket like Motordyne, Hotchkis or Stillen as one of, if not your first, mods. They will dramatically change the way your car steers and rides for the better. Best bang for the buck mod out there.
Can you elaborate on what effect aftermarket sway bars have on the handling?

I wouldn't care to make my car handle a little better, but not at the expense of making the ride much stiffer than it is.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2003 G35 Sedan, worth to mod?