G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Girl in need of help with G35 mods...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 11:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Girl in need of help with G35 mods...

Hey Guys,

My name is Lana and i just bought a 06 G35 Sedan. I just want to be honest just like most girls i don't know much about cars or modifications. But i am a little bit of a tomboy and love myself a sexy looking car :P so i figured what better way to learn than make some mods on my own car haha. So i need your guys help in doing so since a lot of you have some good looking G35s!

First off, Ive skimmed through the mod forum and picked out a few things that sounded good (had to google everything to figure out what they are and what they do to the car haha)

Anyways I'm looking to start with the appearance over performance (interior and exterior) but i do want the car to sound more bad *** too! I want to change the lights inside to blue how do i go about doing that? In terms of some of the mods i picked out from the forum that a lot of people said were good are:

Intake(Rev up air box and Stillens Ztube) to make it sound cooler?
5/16 spacer
HKS axel back muffler
LED lights

What you guys think? Any of these good? Any horrible? anything to add? All help is appreciated

One last thing please only suggest BUDGET FRIENDLY mods as i am a student

THANK YOU!! XOXO

Last edited by LanaG35; 10-03-2016 at 11:58 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:36 AM
Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
If your on a budget, why don't you get those pretty pink eye lash looking things on your headlights...?
Mods you listed are just fine, but being on a budget and wanting to mod your car is never a good idea.
But any how, enjoi your car and take care of the maintinence regularly to keep it running great.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tyke420:
cenzo6mt (10-03-2016), LanaG35 (10-03-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 12:44 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Welcome to the G35 Driver Forums Lana!

Not bad Lana, with the rev up air box you don't need the pop charger just a z-tube (Stillen) for the sound change you want! Motordyne 5/16" spacer is a great mod along with the muffler and sway bars. If you intend to change your interior lighting that may take some serious searching, I just remember one guy here in SoCal that did that for our members.
Again, "Welcome to G35 Driver" and enjoy the ride...Gary

The following 2 users liked this post by gary c:
LanaG35 (10-03-2016), S 854 (10-09-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 12:59 AM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
I'd suggest taking a class on automotive mechanics at your local community college. Great way to learn how to work on your own car. Not having to pay labor makes mods much easier to afford. Plus you'll know enough about cars that should you need to take your car to a mechanic they can't BS you.

The following 3 users liked this post by Scottwax:
Blue Dream (10-03-2016), LanaG35 (10-03-2016), Urbanengineer (10-04-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 03:02 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
No need for the JWT pop charger. Get a Z-tube and K&N filter and you're good to go. You should be able to install those yourself. The plenum spacer is great too, and easy, but it can be intimidating if you don't know much about cars. I promise you could do it if you attempted tho.

Suspension wise, sway bars aren't necessary til you fix other things. Sway bars are more of a fine tuning options after you deal with springs/shocks/bushings and alignment items etc.You'll more than likely need polyurethane bushings in the comp rod and LCA bushings. That's a great mod to keep your suspension a bit more bulletproof. This can be expensive if you aren't doing it yourself tho.

Wheel spacers are a great mod to give a more aggressive appearance; they're cheap too. Be sure to follow all specifications to keep safe tho.

LEDs are easy and cheap, just be sure to get quality ones or they fall apart.

Clear corners are also a big improvement outside, but they're getting rarer by the moment so start looking now.

Interior-wise there's not much to do unless you're going for a stereo system, in which case you need to start saving for a JDM dash kit (do NOT buy the metra).

The following 2 users liked this post by ScraggleRock:
Blue Dream (10-03-2016), LanaG35 (10-03-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 05:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by LanaG35
Hey Guys,

My name is Lana and i just bought a 06 G35 Sedan. I just want to be honest just like most girls i don't know much about cars or modifications. But i am a little bit of a tomboy and love myself a sexy looking car :P so i figured what better way to learn than make some mods on my own car haha. So i need your guys help in doing so since a lot of you have some good looking G35s!

First off, Ive skimmed through the mod forum and picked out a few things that sounded good (had to google everything to figure out what they are and what they do to the car haha)

Anyways I'm looking to start with the appearance over performance (interior and exterior) but i do want the car to sound more bad *** too! I want to change the lights inside to blue how do i go about doing that? In terms of some of the mods i picked out from the forum that a lot of people said were good are:

Intake(JWT pop charger and tube) to make it sound cooler?
5/16 spacer
Rev up air box
HKS axel back muffler
Hotchkis Sway Bar
LED lights

What you guys think? Any of these good? Any horrible? anything to add? All help is appreciated

THANK YOU!! XOXO
Before you begin spending/wasting money on mods I strongly suggest you take this advise by Scottwax

Originally Posted by Scottwax
I'd suggest taking a class on automotive mechanics at your local community college. Great way to learn how to work on your own car. Not having to pay labor makes mods much easier to afford. Plus you'll know enough about cars that should you need to take your car to a mechanic they can't BS you.
As a student just paying for gas and insurance is enough for you to handle right now.
I'm sure while taking that automotive class you'll meet others willing to help you.

Good luck

Telcoman

The following 3 users liked this post by telcoman:
Blue Dream (10-03-2016), LanaG35 (10-03-2016), Scottwax (10-05-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 11:48 AM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Guys,

Intake(JWT pop charger and tube) to make it sound cooler?
5/16 spacer
Rev up air box
HKS axel back muffler
Hotchkis Sway Bar
LED lights

THANK YOU!! XOXO
Manual or Auto?

If you are manual then skip the spacer until you can do the mrev2 + the spacer. If you are auto then the spacer is perfectly fine. A spacer on a revup will yield only sound with no performance gain.

The following users liked this post:
LanaG35 (10-03-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 11:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you everybody for your input. Appreciate all the help. Sorry for not clarifying earlier, it is an automatic not manual. Taking a mechanics course is definitely on the bucket list just can't do it at the moment since i am in school for something else Interior wise i want to get blue LED lights, I'm sure i could find some cheap ones on Ebay?

The upgrades i listed in my OP, does anyone know how much it will cost me to get done? And i think the front lights are very ugly on this car for some reason LOL is there something i could do about that?

Old 10-04-2016, 12:05 AM
Thank you everybody for your input. Appreciate all the help. Sorry for not clarifying earlier, it is an automatic not manual. Taking a mechanics course is definitely on the bucket list just can't do it at the moment since i am in school for something else Interior wise i want to get blue LED lights, I'm sure i could find some cheap ones on Ebay?

The upgrades i listed in my OP, does anyone know how much it will cost me to get done? And i think the front lights are very ugly on this car for some reason LOL is there something i could do about that?
For the spacer.. look at the top of the plenum, you'll see I believe 14 bolts. Simply undue them in the order the instructions say and take off the plenum alight the spacer and screw back down with the same bolt order. The hKS muffler depending on where you live might need professional installation if the exhaust bolts were like mine and rusted tight. Should be no more than 75-100 to install. Lights you can do yourself. Sway bar, no idea lol and the revup air box should take no more than 20 mins to swap. Save money where you can. Date a guy who enjoys working on cars.

Old 10-04-2016, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by cenzo6mt
For the spacer.. look at the top of the plenum, you'll see I believe 14 bolts. Simply undue them in the order the instructions say and take off the plenum alight the spacer and screw back down with the same bolt order. The hKS muffler depending on where you live might need professional installation if the exhaust bolts were like mine and rusted tight. Should be no more than 75-100 to install. Lights you can do yourself. Sway bar, no idea lol and the revup air box should take no more than 20 mins to swap. Save money where you can. Date a guy who enjoys working on cars.
Align the spacer* there may be rtv gasket sealer on the stock plenum, if so just gently scrap it away carefully not to get any in the open intake now. The spacer will yield a good sound/performance on your auto g.

Old 10-04-2016, 12:41 AM
Lana, since Motordyne designed the spacer to correct Nissan's design flaw it has been know as the..."Best Bang for your Buck!" The spacer not only corrects the design flaw by increasing the volume and equalizing the air allowed in the upper plenum, it's worth more than a few h.p.! Add a K&N or AMSOIL drop in filter to that rev up intake, you'll notice the difference!
Gary

The following 2 users liked this post by gary c:
cenzo6mt (10-04-2016), S 854 (10-09-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 12:16 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Well, for the interior lights are you talking about just the regular lights or the actual console? For LED I would go to Diode Dynamics. To change the console it's time consuming and involves soldering LED on/off circuit boards.

Motordyne spacer is easiest and best mod for your buck. You can change that out in about 30 minutes with simple hand tools.

I would get an OEM Z-Tube instead of the Stillen. I think the revup box just allows more cold air in the engine, I could be wrong about that. I've had the JWT and K&N air filter, but I just went back to the paper instead. You have to oil and clean those and sometimes the oil can get on your MAF and mess up a 300 dollar part. I didn't like the way the JWT looked after having it installed with that ugly heat shield.

Getting a new muffler could be more trouble than it's worth especially, since you're on a budget. Bolts are probably all rusted along with the flanges and could cost a little more than what you expect. I had to replace my Y-Pipe and ended up having to buy a used mid-pipe, since the bolts were so rusted I had to Sawzall it off. The muffler flange was then rusted to hell as well, so I brought it into Meineke to have them weld the two pieces together. Cost me about 300 bucks for the repair/new y-pipe and I did most of the work myself minus the welding, if I paid someone it would have been a lot higher.

You don't need to take a class, since everything you need to know is free. Check out EricTheCarGuy or SouthMainAuto on YouTube, I think they're some of the best mechanics on there. Scotty Kilmour is kind of okay too, but he makes two minute videos that don't go in-depth about everything.

Actually, your front lights are VERY valuable, since people want them. The 06+ have the projector lights and you can get some good money if you decided to sell them. But, the aftermarket selection is mostly crap and VERY ricy looking. You can look into some Bat's Overalys. I don't know if he is on this site anymore, but he makes vinyl cut outs that you install on them.

I would just get the z-tube, spacer, and maybe the K&N filter, but those require maintenance vs. just replacing a paper filter. I put some white LED in my interior, but I kind of regret it, since they are bright as hell.

There is one LED mod I want to do, which I have bought the parts, but haven't had time. It's the rear turn signal mod and you need to splice into some wires, install a resistor, and then when you turn your signal on the rear lights flash. You can then turn the older blinkers into like a backup light or something. they also sell a plug and play kit I think at Diode Dynamics as well.

I'd save the rest of your money for when the original parts start to fail. All those mods won't be very helpful when your wheel bearing, ball joints, or control arm bushings need to be replaced and the mechanic wants several hundred dollars. After I paid over 500 bucks for a rear wheel bearing change, I started doing everything on my own. Now, my mod money go into buying some nice tools to keep my cars running, lol.

Last edited by coffeysm; 10-04-2016 at 12:24 PM.
S 854 (10-09-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 02:25 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Is it really that easy? Come onto a forum with a girl's sn and these guys will answer all sorts of your questions without a single "do a search" comment. HAH!

The following 3 users liked this post by dofu:
cenzo6mt (10-04-2016), thegreatkwijibo (11-04-2016), Urbanengineer (10-04-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 06:32 PM
Some of us respect/like women and enjoy helping them when asked

DoFu answers were given freely without hesitation because she's done enough research to come up with good mod ! All she was asking was, our opinion. Possibly, had she asked, "What are the best mods" like we've seen a gazillion times she might have been slapped with..."Search is your friend, use it!" Sound familiar?
Gary

S 854 (10-09-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by dofu
Is it really that easy? Come onto a forum with a girl's sn and these guys will answer all sorts of your questions without a single "do a search" comment. HAH!
Literally was just going to say this.. too darn funny. How can I change my screen name? nvm, I'll do a search. lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Girl in need of help with G35 mods...