G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Riddle me this

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 02:06 AM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
Riddle me this

Drove from north Texas to the Tucson area a few weeks ago. About 2/3rds of the way there, my SLIP and VDC lights came on. I keep a code reader in my glove box (I had a couple Maximas so I know better!) and there were no codes. Car was running fine. Check the forums and our local Nissan/Infiniti group and the consensus was the brake pads were getting low. No problem, hate the current pads, wanted to switch to ceramic anyway.

Before making the switch though, I noticed after getting back my car was starting to dog track (wander) over rough roads pretty bad and my steering wheel canted left a bit while driving straight. I was told when my a/c was repaired last year I needed new LCA bushings, so I took it back to the shop and they replaced the LCA's on both sides. Car drives so much better now, tightened up the front end considerably. And since picking it up, the SLIP and VDC lights have not come on and prior to that they would pop in within 3-4 miles of driving.

Still haven't swapped pads and the shop did confirm I had about 3000-5000 miles left in them. So the only change is the LCA's. Is slop in the front suspension something that wold trigger those two lights?

Old 02-01-2017, 09:20 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
The car has no sensor for low brake pads, so changing those isn't going to do you any good.

The brake MC has a low fluid sensor, but if this runs low, usually the brake light will come on with the others. Topping off the MC usually cures this.

I'd check the MC level and see where the fluid is at, but if it's fine, don't bother changing the brake pads until you need to as it has nothing to do with this.

Only part of the suspension I'd claim is related to the slip/VDC light are the front ABS sensors. They monitor wheel spin and control the ABD and traction control setup. It's possible when changing out the control arms, the sensors were removed and possible cleaned up a tad and that's why the light is out.

I've had the VDC/Slip light come on a few times when driving in the snow aggressively and packing the ABS rings with snow. Usually goes away when the snow melts in a little while. It could also be a failing sensor.

The codes are not read via your standard OBD2 reader. You need a consult2 in order to read the VDC codes.

Here's the service manual for the brake control system that the ABD/VDC is tied into

http://www.nicoclub.com/manuals/G35/..._Sedan/brc.pdf

The following users liked this post:
Scottwax (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 10:51 AM
6 speed G35 sedan
When I asked on the local Nissan/Infiniti group about the codes, one of the guys (who is a service advisor for an Infiniti dealer) said it is generally caused by worn pads which lowers the brake fluid level. When I checked my brake fluid, it was still above the low level line. Closer to the low level than high though.Snow generally isn't an issue here although we did have some heavy snow (for DFW anyway) when I had my Maxima and it was freaking out the ABS sensors until it melted so I hear ya on that.

Changing the pads anyway, the ones I have now turn my wheels black in a couple days and it drives me nuts. Got some Akebono ceramic pads.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:03 AM
He's right about low pad level drops the fluid level and usually trips the light. Sign to change the brake pads.

But, your red BRAKE light would also be on in this case, along with the ABS lights. Are those lights on?

Old 02-01-2017, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottwax
When I asked on the local Nissan/Infiniti group about the codes, one of the guys (who is a service advisor for an Infiniti dealer) said it is generally caused by worn pads which lowers the brake fluid level. When I checked my brake fluid, it was still above the low level line. Closer to the low level than high though.Snow generally isn't an issue here although we did have some heavy snow (for DFW anyway) when I had my Maxima and it was freaking out the ABS sensors until it melted so I hear ya on that.

Changing the pads anyway, the ones I have now turn my wheels black in a couple days and it drives me nuts. Got some Akebono ceramic pads.
I am going with the AKEBONO STREET PERFORMANCE PAD from Tire rack. If you give me a couple days I can let you know my experience with them. Good pads seem to be hard to come by now a days lol.

Scottwax (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 12:19 PM
6 speed G35 sedan
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
He's right about low pad level drops the fluid level and usually trips the light. Sign to change the brake pads.

But, your red BRAKE light would also be on in this case, along with the ABS lights. Are those lights on?
Nope. Only other thing I could find about those codes lights without an engine code was a yaw control sensor. Wonder if the wandering caused by the front end being loose would make it think there was an issue?

Old 02-01-2017, 12:22 PM
6 speed G35 sedan
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
I am going with the AKEBONO STREET PERFORMANCE PAD from Tire rack. If you give me a couple days I can let you know my experience with them. Good pads seem to be hard to come by now a days lol.
I picked up their ProAct ceramic pads. Wanted as little dusting as possible while still maintaining good stopping power.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Good point. I want BBK levels of power so I went with these, can only hope for the best.

Scottwax (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 01:48 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
G35 coupe 6mt
Let us know how's the Pro Act akebono pads does for you. I have the posi quiet pads right now and it squeels in the morning when cold. Just waiting for it to get low and probably switch to other brands.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Z1 recommended those for some reason (the ones you have on ^) and I thought I read they were noisy.

Just waiting on UPS now!

Old 02-01-2017, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by Scottwax
I picked up their ProAct ceramic pads.

I ran these. They were quiet for me. I went from OEM pads, to the ProACT and then back to OEM. Only think I really noticed was the OEM had better initial bite when cold, and the Pro ACT needed to get a little heat in them the first few stops. Other than that, I didn't notice if they were any better or not than the OEM pads.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Enough for me to never use them. I NEED cold bite. Almost got in a wreck the other day because of it...

Old 02-01-2017, 07:59 PM
6 speed G35 sedan
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
I ran these. They were quiet for me. I went from OEM pads, to the ProACT and then back to OEM. Only think I really noticed was the OEM had better initial bite when cold, and the Pro ACT needed to get a little heat in them the first few stops. Other than that, I didn't notice if they were any better or not than the OEM pads.
I've had nothing but ceramic pads on my Accord, never really noticed any cold bite issues. I'll look for it once I swap pads.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Yep, you won't have to look for it, it either bites hard, or doesn't lol.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:51 AM
6 speed G35 sedan
A couple guys in the local Nissan/Infiniti group figured out what the issue was. The alignment was so far off the steering wheel wasn't centers (it was towards the left about an inch off center) and the sensors disable the systems.

".. if your {sic} driving straight but having to keep the steering wheel slightly off center due to the alignment issue it will through {sic} those codes due to the steering angle sensor giving a bad reading. The abs ECU would then disable the other functions to ensure you didn't start getting brakes applied or abs issues while trying to drive straight ahead".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.